HDS Systems EDC #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The locator flash is wonderful little gem. If you stand the flashlight on its bezel, enough light escapes through the crenelations to find it in the dark, but it's not enough light to be disturb anyone's sleep. Perfect for the night stand.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The locator flash is wonderful little gem. If you stand the flashlight on its bezel, enough light escapes through the crenelations to find it in the dark, but it's not enough light to be disturb anyone's sleep. Perfect for the night stand.
Along with the auto-shutoff feature, both absolutely indispensable gems from HDS. I activate the locator flash every time I change batteries and seldom ever turn it off.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Auto shutoff is great! I use it every night when getting my little one to bed. Tail stand it on night table and I don't have to turn it off when I'm in the middle of trying to get her to sleep

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Auto shutoff is great! I use it every night when getting my little one to bed. Tail stand it on night table and I don't have to turn it off when I'm in the middle of trying to get her to sleep
That's one I might never have thought of, bedtime light so you don't have to leave the light on and then go in after they've fallen asleep to shut it off. :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you mean specifically from on or off, but....

From on, if you do a press-hold, you get max (preset A) as long as you hold. If you click-press-hold, it will go to max and be locked on after you release the button.

From off, if you do a double-click-press-hold, you will be locked on max momentary. Or click-press-hold to be on momentary max from off.

Regarding pseudo momentary. Yes, "from on" you are quite right. I'm struggling to understand the second part about constant on when the flashlight is off and pseudo momentary is enabled. I can't seem to duplicate your results. From the advanced user's guide:

From off:

• Press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset B. If thePseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off whenbutton is released.

• Double-press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset A. If thePseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off whenbutton is released.

This is why I don't use pseudo momentary. Constant on maximum is unavailable from off. I would love to be wrong, though, if someone can correct me.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding pseudo momentary. Yes, "from on" you are quite right. I'm struggling to understand the second part about constant on when the flashlight is off and pseudo momentary is enabled. I can't seem to duplicate your results. From the advanced user's guide:

From off:

• Press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset B. If thePseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off whenbutton is released.

• Double-press-and-hold – turns on your flashlight to preset A. If thePseudo Momentary optional feature is enabled, turns off whenbutton is released.

This is why I don't use pseudo momentary. Constant on maximum is unavailable from off. I would love to be wrong, though, if someone can correct me.

Sorry, shouldn't have posted that without a light in my hand. With momentary active, from off, you need click-(VERY short pause)-click-press to lock max on. Kind of a cheat, because you are really turning it on first, but the pause it needs to differentiate between locked on and momentary is just a small fraction of a second. Not too bad IMO, as if you need a burst of max REALLY fast, being in momentary should be OK. It's still faster than turning the dial to get to max either momentary or locked on :grin2:. And of course, you can still do it on a Rotary (if you re-program A to max), so it is having your cake and eating it too.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well last night my EDC Executive 140 went through a complete wash/dry cycle. Kids came upstairs and said hey found this in the dryer. Clean as a whistle and not a mark on her 😀

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well last night my EDC Executive 140 went through a complete wash/dry cycle. Kids came upstairs and said hey found this in the dryer. Clean as a whistle and not a mark on her 

They are dishwasher safe as well! Just don't microwave them.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those with the Surefire diffuser and the OP reflector- are the beam profiles similar or is one more floody than the other?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those with the Surefire diffuser and the OP reflector- are the beam profiles similar or is one more floody than the other?
The bem with OP reflector is almost identical to that with the current dull smooth reflector, much less floody than a diffuser. Unless you meant the flood reflector?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I mean the OP reflector. The current smooth reflector is really well rounded, I just would like a bit more of a blended hotspot. The surefire diffuser is a bit too diffuse and bulky. I know OP reflectors are being looked into but there is no ETA.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I mean the OP reflector. The current smooth reflector is really well rounded, I just would like a bit more of a blended hotspot. The surefire diffuser is a bit too diffuse and bulky. I know OP reflectors are being looked into but there is no ETA.
Yeah there's barely any difference between OP and the new smooth reflector. OP has a bit brighter spill but without a direct comparison I wouldn't notice a difference. Something along the lines of DC-fix might do what you want though.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys if I may, I ve had both .... however the smooth reflectors I ve had have been more or less identical. The op reflectors I've had and still have vary as far as surface. I have a couple that are "deep" op and a couple that are shallow op and both have a mirror like surface. I prefer the mirrored shallow....
I have no use for the smooth reflectors even though Henry says the beam pattern will be identical for both.
Naked eye experience I d say the mirrored shallow op has the edge but my eyes are different than yours.
I ve done some short videos on YouTube channel sdsteveb and intend to do more.
I have a Navy Seal 250 version that I have replaced the ucl with a sapphire lens, swapped the smooth and replaced with a shallow mirror op. It's BRIGHT and there's only a hair difference between it and the high noon.

What I m getting at is there are actually several factors that make a difference in the beam and I m talking about trees and buildings brick or tin not the bedroom wall.
I ve spent over a couple thousand dollars + for my experience and figure the only way to find out what's best is to bite the bullet. In saying that, I know what configuration works best for me and what provides the best visibility and is most usable for my needs.

Just my 2 cents

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ps: Henry .... I know you are listening.... if you can source US made op mirror reflectors from a USA based manufacturer I think we the people would prefer and would spend the extra money to have such "equipment "
I personally don't care for the current smooth ones but they appear to be a bit Matt finish. Smooth mirror with no horrible rings around the surface then I ll be all up for it.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ps: Henry .... I know you are listening.... if you can source US made op mirror reflectors from a USA based manufacturer I think we the people would prefer and would spend the extra money to have such "equipment "
I personally don't care for the current smooth ones but they appear to be a bit Matt finish. Smooth mirror with no horrible rings around the surface then I ll be all up for it.

Unless I'm mistaken, Hogo said in an earlier post that the current smooth reflectors were selected based on their ability to reflect light, rather than on their appearance. I believe he also indicated that orange peel reflectors are in the works and that, once acquired, they will replace the current smooth ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.