HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't even keep track and I work there. I would keep a diary, but I have you guys.

And we are working on several more improvements to the tail... but things move slooooooooooooooooooooowly at HDS. Maybe I mentioned that before.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use mine as much as many of you, but my rotary from 2017 has been just fine. I have none of the complaints i hear from others. It's not silky smooth but it works and i could care less. I have an idea of how it's designed and does it's job as intended.

Nice to know there are always hidden improvements though

I don't think I have ever really noticed much of a difference in tails as far as feel, but i know there was an improvement or 2 along the way.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Did we ever decide if it is HDSes or if HDS is already plural like moose or deer?

Do I say I have four HDSes or four HDS?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly we had this quesiton or statement some time ago (it is a few month ago - maybe a few more, but my brain tells me it was in 2019).
In one of the statements to this topic it was stated it is always HDS, no matter if it is one or the complete production of HDS.

Maybe this fact should be added in the HDS User Manual?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always say HDSs, but then I'm a contrarian.
P

Edit: So do you, by the look of it...
Haha. I was gonna say is this like when girls talk about "cute strappy shoes"? There's no women around here to ask but I have HDSs that would wear that.
P

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
All good answers, I like everyone's reasonings! I don't think I've ever been very consistent. Sometimes I use HDSs and sometimes I say HDS in the plural. I still say Clickies even though Henry doesn't use that nomenclature anymore but everyone knows what it means. :shrug:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did we ever decide if it is HDSes or if HDS is already plural like moose or deer?

I usually just say "I have a bunch of HDS lights"

I supposed it could be gaggle, herd, flock, school, etc.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS would be uncountable so we must use a quantifier such as "lights" in order to count it. Like corn and ears.
Though, I think using the term for crows would be best... a murder of HDS... because if you have several, your spouse might murder you.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how El Guapo would ask the question.
9da1ffc2795f49115049ca5b9e44f1b1.jpg

"Would you say I have a plethora of HDS(es)?"

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I thought I was going to like the tactical, but I didn't. I just didn't like how big of portion of the dial the momentary strobe had and it being between momentary maximum and the adjustable brightness. I had a bad habit of accidentally going to strobe when turning up brightness. For me, I think swapping the momentary strobe and the momentary maximum would have been preferable.
Over the last week or so I realised that I've become tired of having strobe in between the normal levels and max so I recently re-programmmed my tactical rotary to get rid of the strobe altogether. I set "Preset B" to be brightness level 23 instead of strobe so now there's no more strobe in the rotation.

Sos24

Enlightened
Over the last week or so I realised that I've become tired of having strobe in between the normal levels and max so I recently re-programmmed my tactical rotary to get rid of the strobe altogether. I set "Preset B" to be brightness level 23 instead of strobe so now there's no more strobe in the rotation.

That is interesting. When I had the tactical, I hadn't experimented with the customizations, so I didn't realize it was possible. Along the same lines, is it possible to reprogram to swap the strobe and mac presets, so strobe would be the small initial momentary section, then max the second larger momentary which would then go into the 12-level rotary? That might make it more appealing.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
That is interesting. When I had the tactical, I hadn't experimented with the customizations, so I didn't realize it was possible. Along the same lines, is it possible to reprogram to swap the strobe and mac presets, so strobe would be the small initial momentary section, then max the second larger momentary which would then go into the 12-level rotary? That might make it more appealing.
I'm not sure if I''m reading you right but according to the "manual" for mine (a ver 2.18) there is a programming option called "option 1 - swap positions A and B" which, according to the manual makes the fully clockwise position on the dial become tactical strobe and the "mostly clockwise" position become Maximum so you get the full brightness range in the first 7/8 of a twist and strobe only at the very end.

Sos24

Enlightened
I'm not sure if I''m reading you right but according to the "manual" for mine (a ver 2.18) there is a programming option called "option 1 - swap positions A and B" which, according to the manual makes the fully clockwise position on the dial become tactical strobe and the "mostly clockwise" position become Maximum so you get the full brightness range in the first 7/8 of a twist and strobe only at the very end.

That is good to know. The Tactical I had was an older software and I don't remember that option. I might have to give the tactical another try now.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tactical is vastly different from the Rotary. The current software allows one to switch A and B (Maximum and Tactical Strobe).

The Rotary has 4 presets just like all the other lights. A, B, C, and D. By default A is max and B, C, and D are the Rotary brightness control. You can change any of these (A,B,C, and D) and still have one the Rotary function, and everything is fine with the standard Rotary control.

The Tactical has A, B, and C. Sorry. No D.

In the first half of the Tactical rotation, you are in C, but as you get between the mid point and 3/4 point, you are now in preset B (the same as if you double clicked). The last quarter takes you to preset A (max). If you double click and get into preset B and change it, this will also change the 1/2 to 3/4 position on the tail. Same if you change preset A (double click hold) and change that preset... it now changes the last 1/4 position on the dial.

So basically what I am saying here is you can change what the Tactical does in those positions.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
The Tactical is vastly different from the Rotary. The current software allows one to switch A and B (Maximum and Tactical Strobe).

The Rotary has 4 presets just like all the other lights. A, B, C, and D. By default A is max and B, C, and D are the Rotary brightness control. You can change any of these (A,B,C, and D) and still have one the Rotary function, and everything is fine with the standard Rotary control.

The Tactical has A, B, and C. Sorry. No D.

In the first half of the Tactical rotation, you are in C, but as you get between the mid point and 3/4 point, you are now in preset B (the same as if you double clicked). The last quarter takes you to preset A (max). If you double click and get into preset B and change it, this will also change the 1/2 to 3/4 position on the tail. Same if you change preset A (double click hold) and change that preset... it now changes the last 1/4 position on the dial.

So basically what I am saying here is you can change what the Tactical does in those positions.

Thanks, Hogo. I am definitely going to look closer at the Tactical. Maybe later in year.

Status
Not open for further replies.