HDS Systems Headlamps #1

Croquette

Enlightened
Rotary tail, straight beam and an angled one for short range illumiation.

A lot of combination... high cri, narrow beam, flood reflector, hyper red, 4k XP-L... you could select wich led to light on with the 1/2/3 cick from the tail...

It's almost like a "à la carte" headlight.

A lot of potential.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

A lot of combination... high cri, narrow beam, flood reflector, hyper red, 4k XP-L... you could select wich led to light on with the 1/2/3 cick from the tail...

A lot of potential.

My concern is that it is not "à la carte" at all but is a "fixed menu" instead. I'm still trying to work out if the angled light is adjustable as without adjustment I'd consider this a big fail. Yes there are plenty of fixed angle headlamps and these are fine for very limited activities, but not for serious use. I work on various tasks and need to adjust the angle for each of these to optimise the lighting, even with flood headlamps.

The rotary adjustment will be a great feature if the switch can be moved to the top. Personally I find a top mounted button the easiest as you just 'pinch grip' the whole headlamp to get to the switch.

I wonder what Henry's plans are for power....that monstrous box looks like it might even take a couple of 18650s.

Croquette

Enlightened
you're right, but Henry promises that his headlamp will solves a lot of problems. The design is obviously not finished, we could speculate that some "technical data" aren't too.

Maybe we could imagine different angled head that you could swap mounted on powerful magnet with quick swap ?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I'm not interest in a headlamp the slightest but when imagining the headlamp I always thought of a normal HDS but then with the led on the side of the body and obviously the rotary control. That would look pretty sweet imo.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, its a prototype. Early prototypes are about function, not form. That can't be what the final version will look like. Its just a proof-of-concept where he's taken existing parts from HDS lights and Frankenstein'ed them together to see how well it works. I'm no HDS fanboi - in fact I don't even have one because Henry hasn't seen fit to send mine yet, a fact that I've been very vocal about to an annoying degree, I'm afraid - but even I'm not getting too worked up about how ugly the prototype is. Its a process guys. Let the process work.

In the meantime I wish he'd put that headlamp prototype down and finish my Rotary! But that's a discussion for another thread...

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm not interest in a headlamp the slightest but when imagining the headlamp I always thought of a normal HDS but then with the led on the side of the body and obviously the rotary control. That would look pretty sweet imo.

This is exactly what I pictured too. I have a Saint Minimus and I really like it aside from the ringy beam. If Henry made one like you described with a nice Nichia 219 and a clean beam and Rotary control I'd be in for one for camping and backpacking duty to replace the Saint.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vaguely recall Henry (or Hogo through Henry) saying something about a remote battery pack and 18650s.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, its a prototype. Early prototypes are about function, not form. That can't be what the final version will look like. Its just a proof-of-concept where he's taken existing parts from HDS lights and Frankenstein'ed them together to see how well it works. I'm no HDS fanboi - in fact I don't even have one because Henry hasn't seen fit to send mine yet, a fact that I've been very vocal about to an annoying degree, I'm afraid - but even I'm not getting too worked up about how ugly the prototype is. Its a process guys. Let the process work.
Bingo. Prototypes are often knocked together with bits and pieces while the designers spitball various ideas and see what works and what doesn't. When Valve was working on prototypes for their Steam Controller, they went through at least a dozen often hideous designs -- one of which was literally held together with gaffer tape!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062940/valves-steam-controller-and-steam-machine-prototypes

I'm not worried. The prototype stage is sometimes one of the most interesting for a new product because you can actually see the designer's mind at work.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is I don't know how healthy it is for prototypes to show themselves too quickly and first impressions can be deep and lasting.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

A lot of potential.

The whole kitchen sink. I hope it makes coffee.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bingo. Prototypes are often knocked together with bits and pieces while the designers spitball various ideas and see what works and what doesn't. When Valve was working on prototypes for their Steam Controller, they went through at least a dozen often hideous designs -- one of which was literally held together with gaffer tape!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062940/valves-steam-controller-and-steam-machine-prototypes

I'm not worried. The prototype stage is sometimes one of the most interesting for a new product because you can actually see the designer's mind at work.

Why on earth would anyone bring that...thing...to a show like SHOT as a "proof of concept?" So SF can get started early on their lawsuit for copying their rotary design? I'll agree that a headlamp would be great - I'd love to buy one. But not at all like that and not at all if its just another slightly brighter version of the SF headlamp that I already have. Going through a dozen hideous designs is a ton different than showing that...thing...as something your modeling your headlamp future around.

Besides, HDS posted that he would be "wearing" the headlamp at SHOT. Until I see a photo of him wearing that absolutely hideous "proof of concept" on his head, I refuse to believe that "prototype" is not some kind of joke.

Thing is I don't know how healthy it is for prototypes to show themselves too quickly and first impressions can be deep and lasting.

hear, hear...

StuGatz

Enlightened
HDS Systems - SHOT Show 2016 - New Headlamp

Henry Schneiker introduces the HDS Systems new headlamp product at SHOT Show 2016... :thumbsup:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS Systems - SHOT Show 2016 - New Headlamp

Thanks for the video. That's some headlamp, looks more like a concept then a production light. Odd design to say the least.