HDS Systems Headlamps #1

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: HDS Systems - SHOT Show 2016 - New Headlamp

Thank you Stu! Great video! Answers a lot of questions. I am going to merge this with the existing HDS headlamp thread and shift it all over to this subforum.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Liked it quite a bit. Form follows function to me. However, he mentioned, for me anyway, the biggest deal killer for any light. Built in battery. No way no how. To bad, as I dislike the zebralight form factor type light.

Would have preferred a smaller box holding the heads/switch and a rear mount battery set up.

Pöbel

Enlightened

It could be build in but still replaceable :)

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will reserve final judgement until it's for sale but that form factor looks like way too much weight on a forehead.

And I thought my ZL H602 was too heavy compared to my H502...

calflash

Enlightened

Yeah - the form might not be there yet. BUT ... The function!!!

This addresses one of my gripes with most multi-head lights - the precious space required for two heads is a waste of space when they aren't independently controllable. This will be an incredible multi-use light: headlamp, work lamp, flashlight, etc. Put a 1/4x20 thread on it and send a decent headband with it and I'm in.

(I'm thinking the headband choice will be critical to minimize the feeling of weight. It could possibly make or break this headlamp.)

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was personally hoping it used CR123's, like the current Clicky and Rotary. I always got the impression Henry was inclined to using the most reliable mechanisms in his lights. I realize rechargeable batteries afford better run times, but the weight trade off, plus the loss in performance in extreme cold/heat makes them less ideal in a headlamp, at least one made by HDS.
Either way, I'm glad he is making one. There's always opportunity to refine.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe in 5 years we'll see another proto?
I'm still interested tho and will keep an eye on this.

Not feeling a proprietary battery if that's the case...

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah - the form might not be there yet. BUT ... The function!!!

This addresses one of my gripes with most multi-head lights - the precious space required for two heads is a waste of space when they aren't independently controllable. This will be an incredible multi-use light: headlamp, work lamp, flashlight, etc. Put a 1/4x20 thread on it and send a decent headband with it and I'm in.

(I'm thinking the headband choice will be critical to minimize the feeling of weight. It could possibly make or break this headlamp.)

I love HDS, so don't get me wrong, but having now watched the video this is just going downhill in my opinion.

There are other dual beam headlamps with independently controllable output per LED (Fenix HP25 is just one example), so this is not a new amazing feature.

The killer here for me is that Henry said this was a mock up and did not function. If you are going to build a non-functioning mock-up you will make it as much like the finished product as possible as the only thing you can show is how it might look. So there is no angle adjustment and the looks are certainly an 'acquired taste'. The flat back of the box is not going to be comfortable on your forehead.

The thing I do like is the rotary control, but think pressing a button into your forehead is not good at all.

The risk of using existing parts is ending up with Frankenstein's Monster...

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those beefy, stainless bezels that are completely appreciated on my Clickys look like major overkill on the headlamp.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenelated bezels on the mock up made me think it was a HDS Defender Headbutt light.

He took that to Shot Show?? Me, wonders if he will finish the "new" rotary design, or whatever the heck is going on, before he screws around with a headlamp? sorry, just a tad flustered.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Stu.

All I can say is wow...

Doesn't work...cobbled together with already existing parts...all set on a box that looks like it holds cigar matches...enjoy it guys! :twothumbs

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the final product is anything close to that contraption, I'm out.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the concept, one emitter angled down to flood near field and another for far field. Don't know enough to predict how well it will work in practice but I would guess that when having to continually tilt your head back and forth to navigate terrain, the angled emitter would be a boon. If the final design is palatable, I'd take a stab at one.