HDS UV light... On SALE October 23rd.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS UV light for the win AGAIN!

Used the HDS UV light today to locate the problem in a non-running, gas leaking, weed wacker. Photos below.

Broke out the Ryobi 705r weed wacker, purchased about 15 years ago, to trim some grass at the weekend house. It worked fine last year but did take a while to start up and get going. This year, it would start and run for about 20 seconds - i believe on the fuel from the fuel prime. So instead of running out to purchase a new one ($150+) I decide to use some dye in the fuel and the HDS UV light. What I found was amazing. The leak was coming from around the sides of the carburetor. So, I took the carburetor apart and cleaned all of the gaskets. In my cleaning process, I found dye all around the gasket between the carburetor and engine. That gasket had a high spot/ridge in it that I carefully removed with a box cutting knife. Put it all back together and the Ryobi 705r worked like it was brand new and no longer leaked gasoline. Cost $0!

Edit add: I did learn in this process that a HDS Rotary UV light may be superior to the Executive model. I had progressive lumen levels set on my Executive but while one lumen level was too dim, the next one seemed too bright and caused unwanted reflections from the shiny steel of the carburetor. It worked okay but more immediately accessible lumen level choices with a Rotary would have been perfect for this up close work.

(In post #123 in this thread I outline how the HDS UV light also helped locate a power steering leak on my Camry.)

Baseline photo of the carburetor and muffler:
photo-a.jpg

Fuel leak from bottom of carburetor onto the muffler using HDS UV light:
photo-b.jpg

Fuel leak as seen from the bottom of the carburetor using the HDS UV light:
photo-e.jpg

Fuel leak source was the gasket between the carburetor, left, and the engine, right, using the HDS UV light:
photo-f.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool RCS1300.
All I do is little lobster fishing with mine... but I'm about to hunt down a coolant leak in the Jeep... again.

img-6509.jpg

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy...My last post here on CPF was over two years ago. Order placed. I thought I had this torch addiction beaten :) . Early X-mas present is what I am telling myself...

light-modder

Enlightened
An interesting note on spiders. If you bring a regular flashlight up by your temple and shine it around the yard you will see "glowing specs", the light is reflecting off the spiders eyes. Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share real quick.

wweiss

Enlightened
An interesting note on spiders. If you bring a regular flashlight up by your temple and shine it around the yard you will see "glowing specs", the light is reflecting off the spiders eyes. Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share real quick.

Yes, the light has to shine directly out from your head. The angle of those little eyes is too narrow if the light source is too far off the plane of your vision centerline.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
W7Yyh6b.jpg

Lack of an integrated lanyard eyelet and the (relatively) smooth knurling constitute my only (minor) quibbles. Other than that, 10x the cost of the X5 for 100x the satisfaction. My home never looked dirtier under inspection :)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note; does anyone that has an HDS uv also have a uv light from malkoff? I'm curious what kind of differences there may be.
I'm waiting on a ZWB2 filter before I compose my final thoughts, but the HDS trumps the Malkoff in nearly every way save for dual fuel capability within the same battery compartment. There is a ton of visible light pollution with the MD2 UV to the point where it masks objects that would be clearly flourescing otherwise. Again, waiting on a ZWB2 filter to see if that improves anything with the Malkoff.