Poppy

Flashaholic
@knucklegary
It looks like a time portal in Star Trek

1693912576116.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Incredible
It probably uses a hundred gallons an hour. Maybe less due to modern hydraulics.

Used to be in the 80's a typical excavator found on most job sites used 200+ gallons a day. These days it's about that much a week. The engines that run them are much smaller than they were 25 years ago. They're also a lot quieter.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I notice that guys driving trucks like this (w/o the mods though) also whine a lot about high gas prices....
Been my experience that the many concrete cowboy variants habitually complain about the price of fuel - be they the family man in a 1500 class quad-cab with strictly factory parts or brodozer on a lifted 2500+ class machine heavily accessorized with aftermarket parts (and semi-mandatory diesel manufacturer vinyl). For the better-compensated this is purely recreational while for those lower on the economic scale the self-inflicted suffering is more consequential.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
My 22 Nissan Frontier 2WD gets between 22-26 from my house to work. When pulling the trailer it cuts that in half

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    782.6 KB · Views: 29

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
My rogue gets 28.6
My work truck f150 gets 18.4
My little 2003 Colorado with the 5 cylinder gets around 19. Surprised me.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ironically the largest cars I ever had, got the best mileage. My Crown Vic, and my Grand Marquis, each had/have the 4.6L engine and got 19 MPG hwy/city, and 25 MPG hwy.

I drive them gently, no jack rabbit starts, and I try to not come to a full stop at a traffic light. So I apply my brakes early, and try to be rolling at 30 mph when the light turns green, but more often, I'm still rolling at 5-10 mph when it turns green. I think I get about 60,000 miles to a set of brakes.

The Crown Vic got put to bed with 260,000 miles on her after she got rear ended. The Grand Marquis has 285,000 miles on her, and is still running strong.

TPA

Enlightened
43.5 MPG average since the last service. I don't baby it, but I let DrivePilot drive most of the time.

2018 Mercedes E300 factory-custom mutt. E-Class chassis, S-Class interior and electronics, C-Class powertrain. The car still shows the S-Class graphic on some of the screens because of it. Full Bosch Mobility Solutions suite, minus night-vision due to limitations of the headlights. Some special sauce. All the bells & whistles, including ones not normally available. Interior, suspension, seats, insulation, etc. It's very much built for my individual needs and desires. Car is heavier than stock because of this. It also sits 1.5" higher than standard because I wanted extra ground clearance for parking blocks, water, etc. Seats have extra head padding and coverage due to health issues.

The pisser is that this car was supposed to get 85-95 real-world MPG (not that MPGe garbage), but the US EPA blocked that and said I should buy the USA-approved model which got a whole 25MPG. The EPA insisted that was "cleaner and better for the environment" than the powertrain I was trying to import... nevermind that it puts out far more CO, CO2, and soot than the powertrain I wanted. They also wouldn't let me put in the more efficient HVAC system either. That's when I knew these guys weren't serious about protecting the environment.

I managed to get the no-glare headlights physically installed, but the clipboard warriors said I could only run them at full-bright or dipped-beam because of some law passed some 56 years ago, so they run in a quasi-automatic failsafe mode. 84 individually-controllable LEDs per side(!). In theory you can draw things on the road with it.

Fortunately, the people I worked with to get this car made took pity on me and did the best with what we were allowed to bring in. Through their efforts, that's why I'm getting the 43.5 MPG average from this car. Totally non-EPA-compliant, but 45+MPG vs. 25 MPG seems to make a lot more sense to me, both economically and environmentally. Still a far cry from 85MPG.