humans are stupid

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of that stuff is superficial nonsense. A lot of the other stuff I still see people doing. So people don't say "how do you do" anymore. People don't need to be so formal all the time. I still see people greeting each other with waves or head nods and a "hello", "hey", "how's it going" or even a "sup". Handshakes are still around, but after covid they've lost some popularity to the fist bump. The notion is still the same. People still hold doors. Men for women, women for men, men for men, women for women, children for adults and adults for children. Yeah, I still witness people of all ages at the raceway standing for The National Anthem with their hands/hats over their hearts.

Sounds to me like you need to be living in a better place.
I don't know what you are calling "superficial nonsense". Courtesy is the lubricant of society. Showing respect for women, the elderly, officials, etc., that is fundamental to a civil society. We have lost a lot of that recently, and our civilization is breaking down--no, IS BROKEN. Look at the big cities, people just walk into stores and take what they want. Walgreen and Walmart have closed stores due to theft. Some places you go into everything is behind glass or plastic, locked up, you have to ask an employee to get something. Washington state, a judge just ruled the cops can't arrest someone for a property crime unless it is valued at $1,000 or more! In California, they just let the criminals go after booking--no cash bail. They are back out on the street committing another crime before the arresting officer finishes the paperwork on the first crime. San Francisco is littered with human excrement, syringes and the detritus left by the homeless and their camps. Now the city council there has voted to pay African-Americans millions of dollars in reparations. Remember the "Summer of Love" in the Pacific Northwest? Remember hmmm, oh, I don't know, the riot in Kenosha?! Kyle Rittenhouse? Riots after George Floyd died? Covid lock downs and repression of civil rights? People are moving out of New York and California to get away from all the crime and nonsense. I could go on, but I won't, there's no sense to it. My ranting won't change a thing. Actually, Kansas has been fairly peaceful through most of the tribulations, but I'm sure our time is coming--the trouble is spreading.

ETA:

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what you are calling "superficial nonsense". Courtesy is the lubricant of society. Showing respect for women, the elderly, officials, etc., that is fundamental to a civil society. We have lost a lot of that recently, and our civilization is breaking down--no, IS BROKEN. Look at the big cities, people just walk into stores and take what they want. Walgreen and Walmart have closed stores due to theft. Some places you go into everything is behind glass or plastic, locked up, you have to ask an employee to get something. Washington state, a judge just ruled the cops can't arrest someone for a property crime unless it is valued at $1,000 or more! In California, they just let the criminals go after booking--no cash bail. They are back out on the street committing another crime before the arresting officer finishes the paperwork on the first crime. San Francisco is littered with human excrement, syringes and the detritus left by the homeless and their camps. Now the city council there has voted to pay African-Americans millions of dollars in reparations. Remember the "Summer of Love" in the Pacific Northwest? Remember hmmm, oh, I don't know, the riot in Kenosha?! Kyle Rittenhouse? Riots after George Floyd died? Covid lock downs and repression of civil rights? People are moving out of New York and California to get away from all the crime and nonsense. I could go on, but I won't, there's no sense to it. My ranting won't change a thing. Actually, Kansas has been fairly peaceful through most of the tribulations, but I'm sure our time is coming--the trouble is spreading.

News flash: women no longer want to be treated as "the fairer sex". They aren't going to just wait around for their partner to get out of the car and come around the other side to open it for them. They'll just open and get out at the same time as their partner. They don't need their door to be opened for them (unless they actually do) and would probably feel weird as hell if all of the men in the room stood up every time they entered. As far as the elderly, I see plenty of people offering to help them at stores loading their groceries, helping them in and out of the car and even offer their seat for them. Some will yell at you that they don't need help, because they're too proud. The respect is still there, it's just not as formal or traditional as you'd like. Go far back enough and you'll find the people of the generations that preceded you would feel the same way about your generation as you feel about this generation. As for loss of respect for officials, they lost that themselves and not without reason.

You act as if theft is some new thing. It's not. Neither are riots. Excrement in streets? Been done before. Yeah, all of that stuff is s****y, but don't act like it's something that has only plagued modern society.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
News flash: women no longer want to be treated as "the fairer sex". They aren't going to just wait around for their partner to get out of the car and come around the other side to open it for them. They'll just open and get out at the same time as their partner. They don't need their door to be opened for them (unless they actually do) and would probably feel weird as hell if all of the men in the room stood up every time they entered. As far as the elderly, I see plenty of people offering to help them at stores loading their groceries, helping them in and out of the car and even offer their seat for them. Some will yell at you that they don't need help, because they're too proud. The respect is still there, it's just not as formal or traditional as you'd like. Go far back enough and you'll find the people of the generations that preceded you would feel the same way about your generation as you feel about this generation. As for loss of respect for officials, they lost that themselves and not without reason.

You act as if theft is some new thing. It's not. Neither are riots. Excrement in streets? Been done before. Yeah, all of that stuff is s****y, but don't act like it's something that has only plagued modern society.
I don't believe ALL US women accepted the Women's Liberation Movement, pretty sure Phyllis Schlafly and her group didn't.

I think you would be surprised (and then again, maybe I would be) at the reaction of a few women today who were treated like 1950's era women were. That would be an interesting social experiment, I would love to see candid camera footage of that! My thinking is that they would be pleasantly surprised, if they were treated respectfully, and not with the misogyny of the 1950's men. I think that was the main thing that fueled the women's movement was the sexual harassment and the menial jobs they were given in the workplace and low pay. I don't think they minded the special treatment as far as courtesies go. Next time you go out with a woman, treat her with 1950's era courtesy, and see what she says--I doubt you will get punched.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't ever remember in my lifetime seeing theft on the grand scale it is being done today, where people just go into a store and strip it, and the cops do nothing. Or people go into Walmart and fill a garbage bag with goods and simply walk out unchallenged. The brazenness of the thieves in just incredible. I don't remember ever hearing before of stores closing due to theft before. Ever.

Yes, there were riots in the 1950's, but I don't believe they were as widespread as they are today. People are just going crazy.

Now I'll admit, my knowledge of ancient history is not what it could be--in other words, it is lacking, so I can't speak to what has been in the past in ancient civilizations. Maybe this has happened before. I believe there is a verse in the Bible "There is nothing new under the sun." My apologies if I misquoted. The little history that I do know, yes, history tends to repeat or echo, so it is likely this has all happened before, but not in my memory, and I'm a baby boomer.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe ALL US women accepted the Women's Liberation Movement, pretty sure Phyllis Schlafly and her group didn't.

I think you would be surprised (and then again, maybe I would be) at the reaction of a few women today who were treated like 1950's era women were. That would be an interesting social experiment, I would love to see candid camera footage of that! My thinking is that they would be pleasantly surprised, if they were treated respectfully, and not with the misogyny of the 1950's men. I think that was the main thing that fueled the women's movement was the sexual harassment and the menial jobs they were given in the workplace and low pay. I don't think they minded the special treatment as far as courtesies go. Next time you go out with a woman, treat her with 1950's era courtesy, and see what she says--I doubt you will get punched.

Obviously every woman is different. Some would appreciate it, some will feel weird and yes, some will be genuinely pissed off. It really depends on the courtesy and actual function vs tradition. Most people will be appreciative of having a door held open for them when their hands are full. That's a functional courtesy. Pulling a chair out for a woman and pushing it in for her? Not so much, unless of course they need help with that. Some would even view that as a control thing. Call a woman miss or ma'am and they will straight up tell you not to call them that. I even have gotten "don't call me sir, I work for a living" from men I've called sir. That's where things are now, people don't like so much formality.

As far as how to treat a woman on a date, I'm going to treat her as I always do, with genuine RESPECT, not with outdated 1950s "courtesies" that were honestly just the charade of respect. That's probably why a lot of women don't like being treated like that anymore, they know it's BS.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't ever remember in my lifetime seeing theft on the grand scale it is being done today, where people just go into a store and strip it, and the cops do nothing. Or people go into Walmart and fill a garbage bag with goods and simply walk out unchallenged. The brazenness of the thieves in just incredible. I don't remember ever hearing before of stores closing due to theft before. Ever.

Yes, there were riots in the 1950's, but I don't believe they were as widespread as they are today. People are just going crazy.

Now I'll admit, my knowledge of ancient history is not what it could be--in other words, it is lacking, so I can't speak to what has been in the past in ancient civilizations. Maybe this has happened before. I believe there is a verse in the Bible "There is nothing new under the sun." My apologies if I misquoted. The little history that I do know, yes, history tends to repeat or echo, so it is likely this has all happened before, but not in my memory, and I'm a baby boomer.

Your knowledge of relatively recent history should be just fine, right? I'm sure you're familiar with stuff like slavery, genocide, World Wars and general lack of human rights. Pretty major and concerning things. So tell me with all of that stuff that has gone down in the past, how has this world, nor this country has not gone to hell a long time ago?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it when someone talks from inside their bubble like they know what happens behind it, LOL, and they even talk on behalf of groups they do not represent, nor are members of, and of course they are as wrong as they can be,
the reason we are not gone to hell, ( thou it is debatable) is because people like i described above are in minority, and sane people are a majority, for now.

This one is turning into another covid thread. In those you had two camps who decided to spend time arguing and trying to squash the other camp. They usually got closed within a few hours.

Turning? This thread doesn't even have its blinker on. 😄

Blinker, aka a turn indicator, in case that's not what they're called these days.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
4D075BF2-12B9-4794-84C2-58CEE9F13B52.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Title of this thread is 'humans are stupid'. We can be grateful these things are being discussed in a fairly civil manner.

The pendulum of behaviors continues to sway to and fro. Humans are doing what they do best. Surviving. Yet it seems more people now are engaging in culture wars than in the recent past.

It is heartening to read posts by members here who do have optimism for the future; yet isn't it still important to have a clear eye about what is, and has been going on that feeds the innate selfish greediness in all of us, the dominant species?

Thankfully, also, a good number of us have the opportunity to make our world, however big or small, a better place. Stupid will continue to happen, but we can learn.

electrolyte

Newly Enlightened
If you want kids to get a decent edu-ma-cation (sic) you have to either send them to a private school or home school them....
I think that you paint with a brush too broad. There are good public schools, even excellent ones. If the kids really want to learn about any particular subject, the general expansion of knowledge dictates that they must learn from a pretty specialized instructor. How can that be done in a home school? Do you have a capable mathematician that can teach both probability/statistics and calculus, someone that can truly say that they can teach physics and biology and where is the Spanish, French, German or Latin lecturer? Need I go on with history or government, and whatever else?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you paint with a brush too broad. There are good public schools, even excellent ones. If the kids really want to learn about any particular subject, the general expansion of knowledge dictates that they must learn from a pretty specialized instructor. How can that be done in a home school? Do you have a capable mathematician that can teach both probability/statistics and calculus, someone that can truly say that they can teach physics and biology and where is the Spanish, French, German or Latin lecturer? Need I go on with history or government, and whatever else?
Well, my son is a high school math teacher and his wife is a high school science teacher. All in public school districts. Home schoolers are not locked away at home, they go places and learn things, access online opportunities. Brick and mortar schools are fairly obsolete with the internet and online learning tools.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my son is a high school math teacher and his wife is a high school science teacher. All in public school districts. Home schoolers are not locked away at home, they go places and learn things, access online opportunities. Brick and mortar schools are fairly obsolete with the internet and online learning tools.

I switched to homeschooling during my Junior year. The program I was in was honestly not very involved, just packets in the mail, read the lesson and answer the questions. I honestly don't remember much of anything I learned through that. With access to the internet and more free time on my hands, I started looking into things I was more interested in learning about. It's amazing how much more I learned and actually retained during this time than my whole time in public school.

I really can't even count how many times I'd be reading about stuff online and get this moment of "Wait, they taught this in school, but it never made any sense to before." That's the problem when you have teachers with multiple classes of around 25 kids, you have to develop a broad plan that works for most and it's hard to plan for the individual kids like me that learn differently.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Different people learn differently. Some are visual learners, others are audio learners.

I used to be good at math. In high school, I helped/tutored others in Algebra, and Geometry. In college, statistics.

As a grandfather, I tried to teach my grandson how to do a particular math problem that he was struggling with. I tried three different approaches, and failed. He went to a you-tube video, and got it, right away. I was stunned! The you-tuber showed the exact same approach, I had already tried, and failed.

I reasoned that some, in this generation, are conditioned to learn using online videos.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One thing poppy is at times we try to talk to the youngsters in the family and they hear that sound the teachers made in Charlie Brown cartoons. "Wa wah wah.... wah wah." Others outside the family say it and they hear "x divided by 7 equals"....

One of my wife's boys went to a military school his last year and they had an assembly one day. The instructor had a grown up on one side of a table speaking German and a student on the other side speaking Spanish to get the point across of what it's like for some families.

It was a great program called Commonwealth Challenge where at risk kids quit school and join the military for 180 days. It starts out like 200 kids. By week 1 end it's 100. By day 180, maybe 75. My wife's son made it.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switched to homeschooling during my Junior year. The program I was in was honestly not very involved, just packets in the mail, read the lesson and answer the questions. I honestly don't remember much of anything I learned through that. With access to the internet and more free time on my hands, I started looking into things I was more interested in learning about. It's amazing how much more I learned and actually retained during this time than my whole time in public school.

Home Schooling today is online and fully interactive with the Teaching Faculty, what you describe as "looking into things that interested you" is the principle behind "unschooling" 😉

I really can't even count how many times I'd be reading about stuff online and get this moment of "Wait, they taught this in school, but it never made any sense to before." That's the problem when you have teachers with multiple classes of around 25 kids, you have to develop a broad plan that works for most and it's hard to plan for the individual kids like me that learn differently.

Here again, your comments appear to support a 1 to 1 based approach to learning which is possible with "home schooling" but will never be in the mainstream education system.

"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child." - George Bernard Shaw