In your pocket do you carry a knife much larger than your flashlight?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful pictures, great thread!

I EDC a Fenix E05 on my keychain in my left front pocket, and a Buck folding knife in my front right pocket. The Buck is around 5 or 6 inches folded so it's much bigger than my EDC light. I usually have an additional 1xCR123A or 1xAA light in the coin/watch pocket on the right side as well, but I don't always carry that extra light since I have the keychain E05 at all times I'm out of the house.

So for me the answer is yes, the knife I actually carry in my pocket is much larger than the light I EDC in my other pocket, ha ha.

I haven't yet gotten into knives like I have lights, but I think that day is coming closer...

biggman15

Newly Enlightened
These are my mains... Same Gerber. First up is the light I've carried for years. ThruNite T10S
Followed by the light I keep hanging above my bed. Maglite Solitaire LED.
My night EDC if you will. It's perfect for stumbling around late at night.
And lastly the new contender for Primary EDC. Astolux S43

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope.

My EDC light is an Emisar D4 with 18650 installed.

My EDC knife is a much smaller Victorinox mini

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Victorinox Explorer is larger than the Thrunite Ti3 I have clipped in my pocket but smaller than whatever I have holstered on my belt. But since I don't always have something holstered on my belt, I suppose my answer to the questions is "sometimes".

--flatline

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
EDC flashlight larger than the pocket knife.
Ultratac K18 since 2016 and Victorinox Classic since 2012. Just can't find a more reliable, functional and convenient combo for the size.

Ultra-Tac-K18-v2016-Victorinox-Classic-Translucent-Emerald-Finkin-Candlepowerforums.jpg

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Today I am carrying a 3 inch slicer grind Hinderer, with a Emisar D4 light and Glock 19.

I used to carry, and still do much larger knives, and lights. They do not bother me, and I have to lean or twist my body half of the time just to make sure my Glock is still there. The longer you carry anything the larger you can carry anything without even noticing it.

I never ever notice my knives or lights. Not even when I carried my old full size Benchmade Rukus.

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
I either carry a black l4 with a z68 tailcap or my new lumens factory el black with a kl4 head running on a 16340 and my EDC carry knife depends on the one I grab on the way out. The e2 body is from lumens factory and the black matches the z68 and kl4 perfectly. I run it on a sanyo 16650and the runtime is pretty good.

jack0458

Newly Enlightened
I see a bunch of pics of Tiny keychain lights with 3.5-4.5" blade knives. are these just poses or is this what people really carry? I am asking because I would much rather carry a BM Gold Class(3.4") than my William Henry Kestrel B09(2.03"). Of course the BM can do much more. I was just wondering if their is some knife to flashlight size/weight ratio? Even with a Multitool in pocket the BM would be the largest and heaviest thing in pocket. no laws here so no worry on that. I just did not know if peoples kinves are generally much larger than their pocket light? Thanks

I have a Spyderco Manbug that works perfectly with a single AAA size EDC light when connected together. Since my only EDC, all the time light is a Fenix LD02 the light and knife are about the same size. In fact, with them connected the light serves to a certain extent as a longer handle. There are times a very small blade can do 100 times the cutting task if there were a full size handle. Try cutting sheet rock with a knife handle the size of a Manbug handle. I mean the blade length is about the same. Other than connecting these together I don't usually connect a larger light with a larger knife. The knives I have on me now (along with my Fenix LD02) is a GEC Buffalo Jack traditional pocket knife and a Spyderco worker clipped in pocket.

I carry more than one knife because sometimes I want a small one and sometimes I need a larger, more sturdy knife. My flashlight EDC needs seldom require more than the Fenix LD02.

FYI about the Fenix LD02 (newest): There is no lanyard ring so I CAN'T attach a small knife to it. I found this curious since a light this size is more likely to be attached to a set of keys. Why no lanyard ring? So now my Spyderco Manbug is on my key ring. I've found it nice to have the manbug on the key ring with a quick release to disconnect it from the keys to use it while driving.

Jack

craniotes

Newly Enlightened
While the answer is yes, it ain't by a whole lot:

(Pictured with my Muyshondt Maus is a Chris Reeve Umfaan)

Everything's gotta fit in my pockets without drawing undue attention – I live in NYC, not rural Nebraska.

The largest I'll go for EDC is my Beagle, but for the most part it's the Maus, Aeon Mk. III or one of my Olight S Minis that rides along. As for knives, FWIW, I rarely carry a blade much over 3".

Regards,
Adam

Last edited: