Incan challenge week 2018

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be easy and fun!

All I have to do is load 2 D cells and my MAG-LITE is good to go for a whole week. I have been using is 17L or less for the past few months...so this step up to 27L & 206m throw will take some getting used to. :eek:oo:

St. Incan's day x 7..I like it ! :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
All that faffing around(which was fun i may add), decided on a light weight g2z. Same form as the z2, but a fraction of the weight.
blx4lozl.jpg

Slips in a pocket in a pocket , no weight is a bonus .
gKLh228l.jpg

Lumen83

Enlightened
Been using an incan E2E as my EDC light all summer. Great EDC light. Broke a bulb once though when I dropped it. At that point I reconsidered relying solely on an incan.

ven

Flashaholic
g2z incand, cant help but wonder what people must have thought when these p60's arrived on the market. Says a guy with many lights far brighter.....................yet still super impressed and simply in love with the beam
BFssPNpl.jpg

y8IebtKl.jpg

PhjSBXel.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is primarily an Incan. It counts.

I'll play, I think I have a few old p60 drop ins somewhere. But I know I have:
mag solitaire
pelican mitylite
e2e
Mag 2c ROP low. Vlop reflector, borofloat lens, 2x18650
mag 85
rayovac 2d bullet style with Mag 5 cell bulb And 6 eneloops
vintage eveready 3D with gh44 halogen bulb again on 6 eneloops.

This will be fun. Just cost a few batteries.🙂

scout24

Flashaholic
Welp, so far all I'm missing is multiple modes on the same light. Battery life with rechargables is a non-issue, and the beautiful beams don't make me miss my triples too much. Settled into E1e with HO-E1R, a "12P" (2×18650 by Fivemega) with clicky tail and a P91, and my X-LOLA M6 which hasn't needed cells yet. 12P slips right into a pocket next to my wallet, and the E1e fits anywhere. That P91 beam... :twothumbs:

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
I have quite a few P60 and P90 drop ins. So yes I am in! My light will probably be a black G2 with P60 and 16650. It gives me 20-30 nice lumens for 1-2 hours.
What is killing is that my "12P" variant solarforce L2m with 18650 extension (with P91) has been missing for almost two months now. It is somewhere in the house for sure....... Time to buy another one.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks to our friend Bykfixer, I'm continuing the challenge with a very nice silver incan mag solitaire. I don't see how people DO NOT like this light! I get it, it's not bright. But if it's dark.....it's definitely not bad at all. To me, it's like the difference between film vs digital photography. Film still has a certain charm, grittiness, and the imperfections are endearing. Using film cameras is more fiddly, and more hands on, but in that is a certain enjoyment as well. The ringy little incandescent beam has a lot of character and charm and will be used for my nightly doings from now on during the challenge.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maglite solitaire was my first maglite (however many decades ago that was...). It lived in my backpack for years and it always worked when I needed it but I never grew fond of it. I don't know for sure if the solitaire that I've been using this week is that same solitaire, but I don't ever remember buying another, so it probably is. I remember that my wife had one when we got married, but I think it was colored, not black like this one.

I still have the original bulb and reflector for my mini-mag 2aa somewhere, but that light has lived on my wife's nightstand for the last couple of years so I figured I'd better leave it there.

The light that really got me through this week was the plastic NexTorch with a P60-clone in it. Easily one of the best $8 I've ever spent.

Anyways, my challenge week is almost done. It was interesting, but I'm eager to get back to my regular lights.

--flatline

cp2315

Enlightened
I started last night. G2 with p60 and 16650 is not bright enough for me when I am outside. It seems I can only see things with the hotspot. The spill is too dim. But good for indoor and runtime is good.
Luckily I still have 6p that can take p91 and 2x18350. Boy it is bright and very nice beam!

Lumen83

Enlightened
I started last night. G2 with p60 and 16650 is not bright enough for me when I am outside. It seems I can only see things with the hotspot. The spill is too dim. But good for indoor and runtime is good.

I'm very happy with a similar setup using 3.7V xenon bulbs. I'm running a 6p with an 18650. But, I would imagine your g2 with 16650 would have similar results. Its very bright outside with a good hot spot and good spill. Might be worth trying. Although your runtimes might be kind of poor. Even with 18650 I don't think I'm getting a half hour out of it. For indoor use I use a 6V xenon bulb and I've very happy with brightness, beam, and runtime.

cp2315

Enlightened
Yes you are right. I estimate about 30lumen with my setup since the 6v drop in is underdriven with one 16650. With a 3.7v drop in the output is like more than 100? I don't have one though. But thanks for the advice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think that was my first ever Solitaire GG. Great for when a birthday candle or bic lighter is all the light required, but way more practical.

Today starts my incan week.
IMG_20180831_171858.jpg

Top to Bottom:
- nitemods 18350 3P clone with an ancient 6P tailcap and G2 front end. Light provided by an R30 revamped with a Strion bulb and an RCR provides about 45 lumens.
- Pelican 2320 with former twisty tailcap modified to clicky. Light provided by a P60 (because they said it couldn't be done) and factory provided Interstate CR 123's.
- First gen Strion.
Keeping it pretty simple for now.

ven

Flashaholic
I have still solely been using my g2z at home , damn that beam is so so soooooooooo nice!!!! Its just perfection, even around the house for me its no too much, outdoors perfect(small garden though). With 3 bird feeders(hungry birds as they are emptying them daily), there must be around 40 or so living in the huge bushes along the side. So spotting,searching for them from a distance of 20ft -30ft has been very easy/warm on the eye. I am finding the spill fine from the 16650 fed p60.