Incan challenge week 2018

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mostest favoritest light at 4:45am

IMG_20180901_071041.jpg

At that time of day Mother Nature doesn't not stop calling, nor take no for an answer.

(2C Bright Star clone btw)

ven

Flashaholic
Haha, cant speak for mr fixer, but i get no strange looks at all. If anything its the other way...............especially if i get asked for a torch and it happens i dont have one at arms reach. Its the " wt...., you taking the pi**, all those torches and you aint got one there" kind of look. Luckily its very rare!

I am kind of a standing joke though, even the little ones friends know i am a torch guy. In fact, i am not sure how many dont know(less than do anyway).

Incand week has been cool for me, what have i got from it...................well even more appreciation how good the old incand surefire is. These days we pick our temp, our LED, how we want our LED to come out of the lens or optic and chuck light out. Yet with the p60, its just that, bulb, reflector, one mode, either on or off. Simplicity is fantastic, the warm temp very pleasing. The hot spot/spill i am finding more than adequate around the house(outside and in)...................i am not on a 100 acre farm thought!

Nothing will get me away from my nichia triples etc etc etc, but i will always have an incand or 3 ready to go for those times i want to step back in time a little. An occasion rather than just shedding light on something. When a job or task which requires use of light, it becomes special due to the actual tool used.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Like Ven said Pete, only time I get that look is when I'm lightless without having to move more than 8 paces. But then again, she often reaches out for a favorite shadow buster located in a nearby location. She seems to prefer the SureFire G2x Pro lights I have scattered about.
I like to think it's the tan nitrolon body, not the neutral tint.
Mrs. Fixer a tint snob? Say it aint so. lol.

Right now life has me doing all daytime stuff so an incan light can be a disadvantage at times. The fabled light bulb competing with sunshine... it kinda takes a rifle sized light to compete. But being a CPF'r, I have cannon sized output in (jacket) pocket sized platforms. Being it's summer here the jacket is out. But a 6P clipped inside a trouser pocket can get it done. That Pelican 2320 will be my go to for that. Now to find the right water bottle cap to difuse the beam some....

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, cant speak for mr fixer, but i get no strange looks at all.

We will need a signed note from your boss verifying that you completed the challenge without switching on an LED torch. And what about your car? Incandescent headlights or LED? :poke:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My vehicles date back to when LED's in Christmas light bright was considered phemoninal....

I came here looking to learn ways to wire in LED's to the interior of my Prelude.... and 3 years later (last month) still haven't done that project.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vehicles date back to when LED's in Christmas light bright was considered phemoninal....

Mine too! In fact, I just used my Malkoff MD2 to help me change out the incandescent bulb in my passenger side head lamp. I figure it's just a big flashlight mounted to the front of my car, so it was fun for me to replace the part.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Mine too! In fact, I just used my Malkoff MD2 to help me change out the incandescent bulb in my passenger side head lamp. I figure it's just a big flashlight mounted to the front of my car, so it was fun for me to replace the part.

BUSTED!!! That malkoff probably has an LED! (Just kidding but we are on the Incan challenge thread.) LOL

I kinda tried but failed the Incan challenge. I always feel really guilty if I turn on an incandescent for only a few seconds or less, so in those situations I felt an inexplicable urge to use an LED. I feel like little 1-5 second runs are causing unnecessary wear and aging to the filament. Although actually in my whole life I've had very few incandescents burn out. The last bulb that burned out contradicted my theory on short runs and the lower voltage of Ni-MH helping bulbs last longer when it burned out while tail standing....

ven

Flashaholic
We will need a signed note from your boss verifying that you completed the challenge without switching on an LED torch. And what about your car? Incandescent headlights or LED? :poke:

:laughing:

Car wise my old subaru has bulbs, but the boost gauge is digital:ohgeez:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is easy to take LED lights for granted. I almost cheated today while looking for an old CD in a dim corner of my den. Not meaning to, but just out of habit.

IMG_20180902_133356.jpg

Couldn't see these well.

I have been giving my old sandisk mp3 player a workout lately and had noticed a lot of my favorites weren't on it after a memory card purge late last year.
And I also noticed I had not rip'd the 1993 Duran Duran onto my laptop. But where is it?

At one point in life all my CD's were in alphabetical order. For some reason when I transplanted them to soda 12 pack cartons I did not. Yes, an ordinary 12 ounce can carton holds CD's perfect... 35 at a time. I have over 30 of them in that corner, but where is Duran Duran?

Of course at 11 in the morning my solitaire incan wasn't going to cut it. Typically an LED would solve the dim issue easily. Today there was a nice minty 1970's Cub Scout 2C nearby.
Perfect.

Duran Duran is on the laptop and a playlist that should get me through the week without repeats or radio is packed onto the player memory card.

I had a hankering to hear the tune "Ordinary World".
Also noticed there was no Smashmouth tunes on there. No Vaccines either. Crazy.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
"But where is Duran Duran?" Lol. I've said this 10 times today at random moments after I read your post. My kids think I'm losing it lol. Also I bowed out of the challenge today. Solitaire still keeps the nightstand duties but I couldn't help taking another light out for the nighttime dog walk. Y'all stay strong!
It is easy to take LED lights for granted. I almost cheated today while looking for an old CD in a dim corner of my den. Not meaning to, but just out of habit.

IMG_20180902_133356.jpg

Couldn't see these well.

I have been giving my old sandisk mp3 player a workout lately and had noticed a lot of my favorites weren't on it after a memory card purge late last year.
And I also noticed I had not rip'd the 1993 Duran Duran onto my laptop. But where is it?

At one point in life all my CD's were in alphabetical order. For some reason when I transplanted them to soda 12 pack cartons I did not. Yes, an ordinary 12 ounce can carton holds CD's perfect... 35 at a time. I have over 30 of them in that corner, but where is Duran Duran?

Of course at 11 in the morning my solitaire incan wasn't going to cut it. Typically an LED would solve the dim issue easily. Today there was a nice minty 1970's Cub Scout 2C nearby.
Perfect.

Duran Duran is on the laptop and a playlist that should get me through the week without repeats or radio is packed onto the player memory card.

I had a hankering to hear the tune "Ordinary World".
Also noticed there was no Smashmouth tunes on there. No Vaccines either. Crazy.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
"But where is Duran Duran?" Lol. I've said this 10 times today at random moments after I read your post. My kids think I'm losing it lol. Also I bowed out of the challenge today. Solitaire still keeps the nightstand duties but I couldn't help taking another light out for the nighttime dog walk. Y'all stay strong!

Safety first.

Sounds like you nearly "come undone" mr fixer :whistle:

That was a great song too.

bignc

Enlightened
Started today. We have 4, 2 and 3 D cell maglites i can grab. Edc was e1e with 16340 AW and lumens factory HO-E1R and backup on the nightstand is a 6p i got last week.

The lil surefire is SO small even compared to the cr123 Mdc vme with m61wll i usually carry (opposite the 16650 m61nl.)

One light edc is tough for me!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see this until today, but it's been easy so far.

I grabbed a bored, McClickied C2 from the safe and dropped in a P90 and a couple 18350s.
If the C2's a bit too bulky, an E2E sporting a Ti tailcap shroud and two way clip, with an EO E2R will go along for the ride....awesome little light.