iPhone X is here;)

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm aware of that also as I've had three iphones. While that feature will keep out your little brother, I'm not convinced the US govt. cannot get into a smartphone. I haven't done much reading on that situation, but I kinda agree with Red on that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you gone into a Wal Mart or other box store chances are good you went past a traffic cam somewhere near that has your face already.

Banks, interstates... they are all over the place these days in the US.

As I've said before I work on interstates and we advise a traffic group about anything altering traffic. One day I walked over to the woods on a nature break when my phone rings. It was them calling me to say a guy cutting a peice of guardrail post with a saw had caught the nearby grass on fire. I asked "howthehell you know that?" She responded that while I was at the woods edge they were watching me and saw the grass was on fire... to this day I have no idea where that camera is. It's on a bridge disguised as a street light is all she'd tell me.

So Apple and Google may use your face to predict which laundry soap you'll buy or whose shirt you'll wear, but the face recognize thing would only add to the database many of us are already in. Valid point though... that it can be used in that manner.

I did some work in a 1 traffic signal town last year and that signal uses cameras to decide whose turn it is to go and when. Now looking in the signal cabinet at a monitor with a cheesey display one cannot make out faces in cars but the data is beamed via fiber optic and/or wirelessly to a big data collecting base run by the state and payed for by the feds... so in that little town of a few thousand folks every motorist passing through that intersection is on candid camera.... everywhere cameras dictate the cycles of traffic signals.

nbp

Flashaholic
Right, I recall that they had these "hackers" do it but who really knows? As no useful info came from it we don't know. True or not, it's a good story. People who felt the phone should be hacked for national security would feel safe and warm and fuzzy knowing Big Brother is looking out for them, and those who are paranoid and afraid the govt. can get into their phones at will feel warm and safe and fuzzy knowing they could only get into this one model with the help of hackers as the govt. didn't have the know how to do it themselves. Win/win for FBI. ;) Anyways, I am way off topic so I'll moderate myself here. Haha

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I never buy electronics when first introduced. I wait for the inevitable problems such as bend gate with the 6. A few of my friends have bent 6s so it is real. LOL! The 6s on the other hand is a much better phone. Maybe when there is a X (S) or after some months but not now. Not for me anyways.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older Iphone 4s, but even on a newer model would only ever want to use a code that locks out after several attempts anyway. It takes, what, a second to unlock when you do it all the time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night I'm listening to random AM radio while working on my laptop when this computer tech talk show comes on.
Kinda fitting I thought... anyway the guy was talking about this X thing and how sooooooo many people are saying
"$1000?:shakehead."

Then he mentioned that cellphones have always been expensive but we paid like 30% in a contract deal and the rest was subsidized by the carrier. He spoke of one guy phone Sony/Erickson saying "those apple phones are $600... nobody is going to pay $600" when the iPhone was first introduced... then they were $700 and so on. And he spoke of people not thinking twice about paying $850 for a new Samsung.

Turns out this guy still uses an iPhone 4 and Windows XP. lol.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The phone requires more wait time after each successive incorrect guess, and the phone locks completely after 10 attempts, meaning the data inside is lost forever. If the FBI can't break 4 digits, you're safe.

As I understand it... they bypassed that feature by copying the non volatile memory into a software version of the phone. They somehow made a virtual iphone. That let them electronically enter the unlock codes without worrying about the reset nor the time delay.

Quite clever.

Dan

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I like my phone it was 130bucks came with finger print sensor 6 inch screen and 2 cameras on rear

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how many of you guys bought the x?

I have one on the way. Upgrading from a 6S so hopefully the larger screen will be a little easier on the eyes. I'm not one who normally upgrades every years even though I work in the industry but I will say it was a hard choice as to spend the extra money for the X. I probably would have just kept the 6s if the only upgrade option was the 8. The Samsung Note 8 was very tempting but having the Apple Watch 3 pretty much locks me into Apple.

Stoneking

Enlightened
Why the X over the 8 plus?

For me it's screen size and Face ID. Touch ID is the absolute worst for me, my work makes my fingerprints hard for it to read. I would've been happy if they kept the 4 digit password, but unfortunately that's not even an option.
Should see mine in a couple weeks, hopefully!

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I will buy another iPhone when the camera will sit plush on the body, but for now I'm satisfied with my 6 plus.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Leb, I think you're going to love it. :)

~ Cg

Hi Chauncey, I hope so!

Why the X over the 8 plus?

Stoneking hit on some of the reasons but for me one of the biggest reasons is the Plus just feels to big in my hand when I hold it. The camera features (Not Specs) is another reason to consider the X as well as the difference in screen quality.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Was not aware; The X screen is larger than the 8+:
dTG2JN6.png