It's back on! Scout24 has added a challenger! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge - Sunwayman, Nitecore, Klarus and Fenix duke it out

I just started a run time with my E01 that is several years old and using an EBL 1100 battery. Will post how it comes out. My Fenix LD 01 with the EBL and low mode ran 21 hr 19min.

Jerry

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Re: 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge - Sunwayman, Nitecore, Klarus and Fenix duke it out

Very interested in this thread, thank you very much for the effort, run4jc.

Anyones has idea why it is so different runtime and performance in SWM and Nitecore regarding the Klarus and Fenix? Perhaps they don't have PWM? Perhaps less efficient leds? the drivers?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interested in this thread, thank you very much for the effort, run4jc.

Anyones has idea why it is so different runtime and performance in SWM and Nitecore regarding the Klarus and Fenix? Perhaps they don't have PWM? Perhaps less efficient leds? the drivers?

Thank you Noctiluco - I don't know the technical reason, but in post two I offer a bit of commentary on the way the lights seem to drain the batteries. The Fenix will drop out of regulation and slowly dim until it 'dies.' The Nitecore starts blinking when the battery is almost exhausted.....the Sunwayman begins a high-low ramp/off sequence until it finally dies. Interesting (to me, at least) that the Klarus starts out about 40% brighter than the new Fenix - 18 lumen versus 13, yet still runs longer. Scout24 suggested that perhaps it's an even newer and more efficient LED and that seems logical. That said, the board/head/LED/reflector all look virtually identical to the Fenix - the SWM and the Nitecore are both notably different.

It's just fascinating to me what you get for these bargain prices. Of course some think that they are overpriced, but I disagree. And the Fenix - the most well-known - is the least expensive of all.

Hang in there, folks. The rock tumbler is next, then on to freezing/heating/abrupt contact with concrete abuse! :devil:

netprince

Enlightened

Great thread. Looking forward to more testing.

Swede74

Enlightened
Check post #3 - the run time is over and the tumbling has begun!
Thanks for taking the time to post the video. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a no doubt horrible night in the tumbler will do to those innocent little lights.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

popcorn.gif

scout24

Flashaholic

Those poor lights... Dan breaking out the heavy guns!!! :rock: :wow:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast

A Rock tumbler??? This is just cruel! Can we report you to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Flashlights?

I know they don't fit in to your category (because XPG instead of 5mm) but I get days and days out of the 4Sevens Atom AAA. I stick it on a metal surface on the bathroom mirror with a fresh Eneloop in it, and don't turn it off for five or six days. Still gives a nice glow to the whole bathroom.

I ran some runtime tests on the Atom AA and got over 10 days with an Eneloop AA. The AAA has only 1/3 the capacity, but the lumen output is lower on the Atom AAA.

So if you are looking for a AAA run-time champ, with all emitters in the running....

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know they don't fit in to your category (because XPG instead of 5mm) but I get days and days out of the 4Sevens Atom AAA. I stick it on a metal surface on the bathroom mirror with a fresh Eneloop in it, and don't turn it off for five or six days. Still gives a nice glow to the whole bathroom.

Yes, but will it blend? That's the obvious "next-level." I'm betting on early Surefires not to blend. Anyone else in on the pool?

This is a "breaking stuff" thread! LOVE IT! :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast

What an awesome thread! Thank you for all your effort!

gunga

Flashaholic
5MM LED AAA Light Challenge - Sunwayman, Nitecore, Klarus and Fenix duke it out

Awesome thread! These little 5mm lights often don't get a lot of attention. It's pretty cool seeing how tough and long lasting they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

This morning - 5 AM - couldn't resist. Had to look. In the first photo you see the little guys all unceremoniously dumped onto the top of the cooler that is serving as the work surface for the tumbler. Much to my dismay, the head of the Sunwayman had COME OFF in the tumbler! DUST EVERYWHERE! The battery (these are the OLD batteries that were in the lights for the run time tests - and no, the lights are not on in the tumbler - so ostensibly the batteries have recovered) was unrecognizable - dust inside the battery tube, all over the head, the battery contact on the head. I thought, "well, this one is done." Sorry that I didn't get a better photo....but if you look closely you can see the battery, head,and tube and the battery doesn't look like a battery. :faint:

Guess what. With nothing more than a puff of air from me to remove just a bit of dust, I dropped the battery in the tube, installed the head, and voila, the SWM came back to life! They ALL work just fine this morning. Incidentally, I commented earlier how easily the SWM head turns - didn't think it was THIS easy, though!

Who knows how much anno has been removed...I'll have to wash them when the test is over (another 8-10 hours - when I get home from church) to know for sure. One thing is immediately evident: that nice stainless head on the Nitecore has definitely been "stone washed". :devil:

My respect for these little guys grows. And there's more to come...

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, but will it blend? That's the obvious "next-level."

The California Humane Society has filed a criminal complaint against a man they say is keeping tropical fish in a moving blender. The man admits it is true but says he has never turned the blender above Mix. The Humane Society claims he's had it up to Whip and Puree several times.

-
George Carlin

kj2

Flashaholic

Most anodizing has been removed, where it has knurling. Wonder why the smooth parts on the body are relatively fine. They do look good though ;)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed...with the exception of the tail. It's the only one so far that is staying with the E01 for run time. I suspended the run time test overnight (can't monitor them when sleeping :eek: ) but restarted this morning first thing. 26 hours and counting. This is what they looked like at 25:30 last night:

(Klarus left - Fenix right - then the 2 'little engines that couldn't' ;)

And I know we eagerly anticipate all of the positive contributions you'll make to this thread... :rolleyes:

Only to happy to oblige. That's what one of the reserved posts is for. :)

Funny - I am the staff flashlight writer for TheFirearmBlog.com and have a cool ASP Triad rechargeable that I need to write up, but this is more fun. :party:

You should never assume chappy and wait,personally the thread is of great interest to me.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should never assume chappy and wait,personally the thread is of great interest to me.

No worries, chappy. No assumptions made and I am patient...some things are predictable, some are not.

I am genuinely pleased that you find the thread interesting. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic

You're a madman... :) Can't believe they all still work! My money would have been on the T0 head coming off, it's got way less thread than the SWM... Maybe the hex didn't help. Waiting for more!!!