It's back on! Scout24 has added a challenger! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

scout24

Flashaholic
The torture is coming. I want to secure another one or two copies first for my stash. It'll get driven over for sure, and I have a plan to test the 30 foot drop rating. I'm a bit short of rotary and fixed-wing aircraft to drop it from, but I do have a monster sized wrist rocket slingshot for launching tennis balls for my dog to chase, and a BIG open parking lot. I think I can get this puppy a couple hundred feet up if I try... :)

Parnass- Nice idea with the lanyard!

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: We Have A Winner! 5MM LED AAA Light Challenge

I repaired my Hyperdog tennis ball wrist-rocket-on-steroids slingshot today. Maybe the weather will cooperate tomorrow. Stay tuned. :)

ReManG

Newly Enlightened
This thread is amazing, I now look at those Rayovac Lights with new respect, as well as the others. I am wondering if you had seen (OP) the Manker Nichia AAA lights? I just got one in and they look about like these other AAA "cockroach" lights in durability... I have run mine about 19 hours on one alkaline Duracell so far, it does the "Bonk" where the light is significantly less than a lumen, but when you let it recover for 20-30 Minutes, it comes back for another 10-12 minutes. I owned one of the original CMG Infinity AA's years back (2003'ish if I remember) but it died within a year or so on me. I remember thinking for what I paid, these "infinity" lights were not worth it.... Fast forward over a decade, and now they are smaller, better and cheaper, not to mention much more durable.... Thanks for the work on this project.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
The one thing I wonder about concerning the durability of these types of light are the circuit board pads used to make electrical contact. It seems like a true long term EDC usage scenario (unlike short duration abuse) could result in wearing out the pads from the twisty action.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woo-hoo! Was just thinking of bumping this thread the other day when I used both of my Rayovac AAA's. I really like the aluminum "refloptic" one the best, for the useful beam and crazy long runtime.

The one thing I wonder about concerning the durability of these types of light are the circuit board pads used to make electrical contact. It seems like a true long term EDC usage scenario (unlike short duration abuse) could result in wearing out the pads from the twisty action.

Not a problem, in the unlikely event that a portion of the negative contact trace wears thin, you can just add a thin layer of solder on top to make contact. This will last indefinitely.

gunga

Flashaholic
I got a used E01 once. The contacts were worn to the point of being flaky. I ended up covering with solder to bring the performance back.

scout24

Flashaholic
EO1 may not live too long sucking up Ma Deuce recoil. :) Been 23 years since I shot one, but the memory is pretty clear. Hard not to remember that.

100eyes

Newly Enlightened
The Manker Boney is on Gearbest for $5.10 - would be interesting to see it tested as well.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Woo-hoo! Was just thinking of bumping this thread the other day when I used both of my Rayovac AAA's. I really like the aluminum "refloptic" one the best, for the useful beam and crazy long runtime.

Not a problem, in the unlikely event that a portion of the negative contact trace wears thin, you can just add a thin layer of solder on top to make contact. This will last indefinitely.

Maybe I should try twisting an EO1 on/off a hundred or so times a day, see how it goes... :)

I got a used E01 once. The contacts were worn to the point of being flaky. I ended up covering with solder to bring the performance back.

I'd like to see that test! :)

The PWB in my E01 is not mounted perfectly straight, so one side near the edge has worn almost through the pad. I've been putting solder on it to stop it from wearing further, but I have to reapply about once a year (it is not an EDC light anymore).

I'm sure one built with the board straight would last longer, but it is a point of long-term weakness. Granted, one that you can mitigate with the solder method.

Last edited: