• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Jetbeam RRT01vn - The Best EDC R

Rasher

Enlightened
Well heck, in measuring the slots I neglected to leave some wiggle room - 2x12 will not fit, unless you hit the slots with a little grinding.
So I either go with short fit, or... find some in ~2x10, but I've had no luck finding these - anyone know a reputable supplier?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Well heck, in measuring the slots I neglected to leave some wiggle room - 2x12 will not fit, unless you hit the slots with a little grinding.
So I either go with short fit, or... find some in ~2x10, but I've had no luck finding these - anyone know a reputable supplier?

Crappp :mecry:

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep. You can grind the ends of the slot a touch. Otherwise they don't fit. I don't have my light yet so have not decided what to do.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have my calipers handy, but I think 2.5 might be a tad too wide, 11.5 probably a tad too long. I'm just going to give the tailcap to a machinist buddy and have him open up the slots.
If you could check it, that would be great. Nice to have that machinist buddy -- you're quite lucky!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!......

Looking back at all of Nitecores releases they have been one of the most innovative company. I love them but man they just have to screw up a small detail somewhere on all their good lights. Its not until the C2vn that I am 100% impressed. (TiniVN is great too). Anyhow the latest iteration of the Jetbeam RRT01vn is perfect to me. Its a EDC many I wish they could have made. Other than the Made in USA aspect I prefer it over the mighty HDS Rotary. I love every single thing about it. But why the hell did they put some large *** slots and have no trits fit in?! Who the heck put on this design and not think of trits? I have the same design on Genesis twisty tail cap so I thought it must be 2"" X 12mm. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

20190201-003213.jpg

Last edited:

scintillator

Enlightened
gunga
Those are 2x12 trits.
Using the 5/64" round diamond bur in a dremel tool at high speed.
Gently enter the slot and move the bur around to the end then keep bumping the end till all the anodizing is gone then continue to rout around like you are engraving.
Continue the engraving motions till trits fit.
I found it necessary to grind the bottom of the slot to a little to get the trit all the way down.
I used magnifier to see detail and just keep grinding (engraving) till the trit fits.
5/64" is approximately 1.9mm I got the bur on ebay few bucks a piece.
About 30min total,and wear a dust mask.

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks for the details! I'm a bit worried about doing this myself. Wish they had just sized the slots appropriately. You needed up grind the bottom? Was the slot too shallow? Sigh. So 2x10 would stick out?

scintillator

Enlightened
I ran a straight edge over the slot with the trit in and it seemed to hit ever so slightly.
I want them to be below the surface.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes... the trit slots that don't fit any trits.

Owners on BLF encountered the same thing. Seems that 2x10 trits either don't exist or are unobtainable.

If you don't want to grind the slots, your best bet is probably to glue in 2x6 trits.

gunga

Flashaholic
I asked about getting 2x10mm trits made. It's possible but the MOQ would be about 200 per colour and the lead time could be 4-5 months. So it's possible if there is interest but it's slow.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a straight edge over the slot with the trit in and it seemed to hit ever so slightly.
I want them to be below the surface.
Wow... so it's worse than being short of 2 mm x 12 mm, but also in depth. Jetbeam really failed here. These slots OBVIOUSLY look like tritium slots, but then they create a shape that can't serve any production tritium vials. :thinking:

Yes, you absolutely do not want the glass of the vials flush or slightly above the metal surface. There needs to be enough of a buffer such that they sit below and allow for a nice layer of optical adhesive to provide some protection.

By the way, I wonder if stripping off the anodizing and exposing shiny silver steel helps with tritium visibility... because the light facing rearward is not lost in black anodizing, but may actually be reflected.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Wow... so it's worse than being short of 2 mm x 12 mm, but also in depth. Jetbeam really failed here. These slots OBVIOUSLY look like tritium slots, but then they create a shape that can't serve any production tritium vials. :thinking:

Yes, you absolutely do not want the glass of the vials flush or slightly above the metal surface. There needs to be enough of a buffer such that they sit below and allow for a nice layer of optical adhesive to provide some protection.

By the way, I wonder if stripping off the anodizing and exposing shiny silver steel helps with tritium visibility... because the light facing rearward is not lost in black anodizing, but may actually be reflected.

Look like we need a shop intervention...$$$$ wont be fun...I can likely hand grind a few myself but I would be too scared to mess one up..

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they're actually just "glow powder slots". ;)

Stick in some glow powder, put some clear glue on top. Done.

Latest posts