LED Rechargeable Flashlight Recommendation

LED flashlight recommendation

• Total voters

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
When are you planning on getting the light? If it's not urgent, the upcoming Maglite ML125 may be a good choice because it can also take regular C-cell batteries as a backup power source. The Pelican 8060 is available now and also offers this.

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/03/maglite-new-products-for-2011/

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=8060

Other than that, my recommendation would lean towards the Stinger DS LED HP. However, there's a small problem...nobody sells 230V or 240V Streamlight models in the US...the Pelican 7060 charger (and presumably the 8060 too) is 110-240V.

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
When are you planning on getting the light? If it's not urgent, the upcoming Maglite ML125 may be a good choice because it can also take regular C-cell batteries as a backup power source. The Pelican 8060 is available now and also offers this.

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/03/maglite-new-products-for-2011/

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=8060

Other than that, my recommendation would lean towards the Stinger DS LED HP.

I need it by the end of June.. departing on July 5

However, there's a small problem...nobody sells 230V or 240V Streamlight models in the US...the Pelican 7060 charger (and presumably the 8060 too) is 110-240V.

Not too worried about that... most AC/DC converters take 110-240V, only the prong on the end is different (I checked with Streamline, this is the case). So, I wouldn't need a power converter, just a "dumb" prong adapter.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get why eneloops aren't being suggested all over this thread now, 1500 charges with the new versions, easy to swap out, no safety issues, completely reliable, abuse proof and low self discharge. Pick up a panasonic BQ-392 for a good cheap intelligent charger and then pick anything from a Fenix E21 to the TK41 for serious power.. There really isn't that much benefit to a dedicated rechargeable light imho apart from slightly added simplicity.

cccpull

Enlightened
I think the deal here is the light is for his parents, although I do like your idea better.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too worried about that... most AC/DC converters take 110-240V, only the prong on the end is different (I checked with Streamline, this is the case). So, I wouldn't need a power converter, just a "dumb" prong adapter.
If I recall correctly, my 110V Streamlight AC adapter is 110V only. I don't have it in front of me though, so I will have to double-check when I get back home.

I don't get why eneloops aren't being suggested all over this thread now, 1500 charges with the new versions, easy to swap out, no safety issues, completely reliable, abuse proof and low self discharge.
If it weren't for price, I would prefer gifting a dedicated rechargeable system rather than a light, rechargeable batteries, and a charger. I don't trust that my relatives to keep cells matched, or not to throw an alkaline in there and leave it.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do if I give them a 2x AA light, and 4x AA cells. I tell them these batteries are for this, so they use them in the right thing. With only 4 batteries they can't mess up, they have two sets of cells, one in the light and one back-up, when they take 2 flat ones out they put the other two in and recharge the first ones which then become the backups. It's really not hard if they only have two sets of cells.

The great thing about eneloops and many Ni-mh cells is that matching doesn't really matter, they can be drained to almost 0v and recover fine then the two batteries will just be recharged again and end up almost matched if using a decent charger.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get why eneloops aren't being suggested all over this thread now, 1500 charges with the new versions, easy to swap out, no safety issues, completely reliable, abuse proof and low self discharge. Pick up a panasonic BQ-392 for a good cheap intelligent charger and then pick anything from a Fenix E21 to the TK41 for serious power.. There really isn't that much benefit to a dedicated rechargeable light imho apart from slightly added simplicity.
I agree with this 100%. The cons outweigh the pros for me with lights that have their own battery pack. All of my lights have rechargeable cells in them, but they can also take non-rechargeable cells. I like the option of throwing some fresh rechargeable cells in the light if it runs out of power or throwing some regular cells in. The regular eneloop charger would probably be fine, I don't think my powerex maha would be a good recomendation for this situation.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... for a dedicated rechargeable-only light, I'll cast my vote for the Strion or Strion HP. Unless you need absolutely maximum throw, I'd lean towards the standard Strion. Throw is very important when needing to cut through ambient light. If there is very little or no ambient light, most 18650/2x123 type lights with modern LEDs will offer plenty of throw to see out to 100 yards or more. The Fenix TK11 is about a standard brightness and standard throw vs spill light and I can very easily see a permanent deer stand at 125 yards and that's with trees as the background... very little contrast. To see animals eyes, I have no doubt it could easily get to 200 yards.

I guess it comes down to whether water resistance or convenience is more important.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Streamlight Litebox lantern. Get the "spotlight" version.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=6 (scroll to the bottom for LED versions)

Large, rugged, heavy duty rechargeable spot lantern. Puts out lots of light for working around equipment in the field at night.

Has a built-in rechargable battery. Charger cords available for 12VDC, 120VAC, 230VAC, 240VAC

Common 6V 12Ahr Gell Cell batteries. You could also make a solar charger for this with a 20w panel (11"x14" and a 7Ahr $15 charge controller with the Litbox's 12VDC charging cord.

Last edited:

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
haha... OK... I can do the eneloop batteries and a decent charger... but now again, what flash light... ? The Maglite ML 125 sounds good as well... but anyone have a hard ETA on availability?

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
The latest I have on it is mid-June...chance is probably not so likely. How about the Pelican 8060?

Happens to be $30 more than the other options... which, times 4 = $120... I saw the Maglite listed as a pre-order for $81, so I got excited by that... I guess I'll just have to wait and see... anyone know if any e-tailers willing to discount a purchase of 4 lights on the Pelican 8060?

Also, Robin24K... let me make sure I have this right that you'd recommend the Pelican 8060 over the Stinger HP LED?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pelican 7060, but I agree with an earlier post that the Pelican 8060 would be a great choice. As was already pointed out, you have a rechargeable light AND have one that will take off the shelf C cells. Truly the best of both worlds. As a retired cop, I have a strong preference for LED lights that charge in a cradle. Most people of this forum, however, seem to prefer lights that can accept rechargeable batteries. For hobbyists, that is just fine. For police work it is MUCH more convenient to have flashlights that charge in a cradle. (Can you imagine working patrol and needing to charge your light? Most cops are NOT going to want to remove the batteries and charge them in a stand alone charger.) I have, in addition to the 7060 already mentioned, an older Inova T4. I have also used a Streamlight Stinger LED when I was still working full time.

Anyway, enough of my background. If you shop around you can find a Pelican 8060 cheaper than the one found at Amazon. I guess you just need to make sure you get the correct power plug for the charger. As an aside, I am sort of surprised that there aren't other light similar to the 8060 that allow the rechargeable stick to be removed and off the shelf batteries to be used. Since MagLite has the MagLite ML125, that might be a great selling point!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M4MJE8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha... OK... I can do the eneloop batteries and a decent charger... but now again, what flash light... ? The Maglite ML 125 sounds good as well... but anyone have a hard ETA on availability?
I think you can do better then Maglite. They are a fine light but there are better lights out there that use newer technology, higher output, better features, etc. I would look at the Fenix TK41, but there are a lot of options out there.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably wouldn't recommend the Pelican 8060 over the Stinger DS LED HP because it is larger and heavier, but the ability to use regular batteries is a good point. However, Streamlight's PiggyBack charge with a spare battery may work just as well (and with no fear of leaky alkalines).

I guess I would recommend either Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP (with PiggyBack charge and spare battery) or Pelican 8060, with the Stinger at a slight advantage. On Amazon, package #75886 (DS LED HP, PB, 120V) is actually cheaper than package #75786 (LED HP, PB, 120V), so I would go for the DS model. Be sure to look up by part numbers, as there are multiple packages. Also, I need to check if the 120V AC adapter can take 240V, since nobody is selling 240V packages in the US...

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
I probably wouldn't recommend the Pelican 8060 over the Stinger DS LED HP because it is larger and heavier, but the ability to use regular batteries is a good point. However, Streamlight's PiggyBack charge with a spare battery may work just as well (and with no fear of leaky alkalines).

I guess I would recommend either Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP (with PiggyBack charge and spare battery) or Pelican 8060, with the Stinger at a slight advantage. On Amazon, package #75886 (DS LED HP, PB, 120V) is actually cheaper than package #75786 (LED HP, PB, 120V), so I would go for the DS model. Be sure to look up by part numbers, as there are multiple packages. Also, I need to check if the 120V AC adapter can take 240V, since nobody is selling 240V packages in the US...

What about the Inova T4... even your website has some good things to say about that?

So, Stinger vs Inova ? who wins?

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
Also, I need to check if the 120V AC adapter can take 240V, since nobody is selling 240V packages in the US...

Also, Robin24k, can you check that the 120VAC adapter can take 240VAC... and thanks again for all of your help!

-Jaspreet

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova T4 has a fairly floody beam without much throw, so may be better for closer work.

I will check the AC adapter when I get back tomorrow.

jaspreets

Newly Enlightened
The Inova T4 has a fairly floody beam without much throw, so may be better for closer work.

I will check the AC adapter when I get back tomorrow.

Alright... so barring any bad news regarding the AC adapter... the Stinger DS it is... unless the Maglite ML125 comes out any time sooner.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the Fenix TK41 with eneloop AAs. Be sure to get them a decent charger too. The batteries won't last long otherwise.

Fenix lights are very reliable and have the most efficient electronics.