Looking for a good quality tactical light

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're lucky, there may be someone living near you that has has an M61HOT, and the Malkoff Junkie thread would be a good place to check.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my two cents, it sounds like your description comes close to an Elzetta Bones. If you can live without the strobe (which I have never needed) and the multi mode set up, you'll get the fully potted electronics, springs at both ends of the battery tube, a good balance of throw and spill, and 650 lumens of a nice neutral beam tint. You can use 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123A. It retails for about $145, which is among the cheapest lights that features potted electronics. The M61HOT will out-throw the Elzetta, but I imagine that a weapon mounted light would benefit from a broader beam pattern. For a bit more coin, you could spring for the Hound Dog, which is one of my favorite lights, but it's better suited to the outdoors than to room clearing.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd considered mentioning a bored Elzetta Bravo, but their prices stopped me. I'd completely forgot about the Bones and agree that it's worth considering. The AVS, and therefore Bones, has a very useful beam pattern that's similar to the M61HOT.

My Bravo with AVS, which is supposed to deliver the same performance as the Bones, delivered 1.05 lux at 100 yards when fed by two CR123s. It will deliver a bit under that when fed by an 18650.

Run time would only be about 30 minutes, but two 18350s increases the Bones' output to ~900 lumens. My AVS, when fed by two 17500s, delivered 1.97 lux at 100 yards. The downside to running dual Li-Ions in the Bones is that it doesn't have any low voltage protection. If the cells are not protected, then the light will completely drain them while output is still bright. I don't have any to confirm, but protected 18350s are likely too long to fit within the body.

At a distance of 12 feet from the wall, the M61HOT's innermost spill is roughly 6 feet in diameter. It has less defined boundaries between spot, inner spill, next outer spill, and outermost spill regions than the AVS head or Bones. At the same 12 foot distance, the AVS head's innermost spill is easily measured to also be 6 feet in diameter.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I looked into Elzettas, it looks like the bones only has one mode though. I see you can get the Bravo with high/low, but it looked to be around $200 after picking my options. At that price, I'd think maybe the Malkoff Hound Dog would be the way to go... I'm still considering the M61HOT too...
I forgot to mention any Malkoff I'd get would have the high/low ring.

matt4350

Enlightened
While you're looking at the Malkoffs, you might check out the M91T. I have one of these on an MD3 body and the high/low ring makes it very useful. It throws quite well for a smaller sized light (a little more than the Elzetta Charlie actually) but has enough spill to be useful too (though not as large an area as the Elzetta). I use 2 Keeppower 18500s to run it, although I'd imagine you'd be using CR123s if you have it mounted to a weapon. Worth a look, for sure.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Well to get a Malkoff would be awesome, but I want to revisit my options under the $100 price, and to go further and try to be around $75 or less. This time I'll remove the requirement to be rifle mountable. I could get a dedicated light for that later. I want a bright tactical light with a rear clicky. I just used a friend's Fenix PD35, and it seems something like that is what I'm looking for, but there are a lot of options. So here is what I'm looking for:

Rear clicky with momentary
The ability to take 2 cr133a or one 18650
Bright, has around a 1000 lumen turbo
Multi mode - at least low and turbo
UI - not sure, side switch is fine to switch modes, but I'm open to ideas
Durable - I've had 2 Nitecore 18650 flashlights fail in less than 1/2 year even with no abuse
Dual springs
Potted electronics is also preferred but not required
I'm open to Chineese or American made but am hesitant on some brands like Nitecore and Klarus. I'm not sure on Fenix, Olight, Eagletac, but they seem to be good.

Maybe I'll break down and get the Malkoff Hound Dog someday, but I want to see if I'm missing any cheaper but still good quality options. Thanks.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Check out Pflex Pro, he is a friendly and helpful guy. Might have something like you want for around 60.00...

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Pflex Pro, he is a friendly and helpful guy. Might have something like you want for around 60.00...

I believe his dropins do not take 2xcr123s, as they don't use buck drivers.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to get a Malkoff would be awesome, but I want to revisit my options under the $100 price, and to go further and try to be around $75 or less. This time I'll remove the requirement to be rifle mountable. I could get a dedicated light for that later. I want a bright tactical light with a rear clicky. I just used a friend's Fenix PD35, and it seems something like that is what I'm looking for, but there are a lot of options. So here is what I'm looking for:

Rear clicky with momentary
The ability to take 2 cr133a or one 18650
Bright, has around a 1000 lumen turbo
Multi mode - at least low and turbo
UI - not sure, side switch is fine to switch modes, but I'm open to ideas
Durable - I've had 2 Nitecore 18650 flashlights fail in less than 1/2 year even with no abuse
Dual springs
Potted electronics is also preferred but not required
I'm open to Chineese or American made but am hesitant on some brands like Nitecore and Klarus. I'm not sure on Fenix, Olight, Eagletac, but they seem to be good.

Maybe I'll break down and get the Malkoff Hound Dog someday, but I want to see if I'm missing any cheaper but still good quality options. Thanks.

Not sure if already mentioned: the Fenix TK16 ($80) and TK09 2016 ($65).
Based on relatively few complaints about Fenix's TK lights, I believe they are dependable.
Get it from a reputable dealer that offers local warranty service and you have double the reassurance.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Have you checked out Fenix PD35 tac ?

I have, I'll probably check out some more in depth reviews, but that looks to be towards the top of my list. I haven't noticed yet, but does it have dual springs?

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I believe his dropins do not take 2xcr123s, as they don't use buck drivers.

I think you're right, and it's my only drawback. My 3 Zebralights only take 18650, so I'd like a light with the ability to take primaries just in case. They seem like awesome lights otherwise and I may revisit them because of the options they offer. They seem to be pretty durable, there's just not a ton of info out there.