Lumens Factory E-series bodies

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Just some followup thoughts. I think eXe series are iconic lights with a number of cons, but we love them as they are, so I would leave them as they are: anodized aluminum, with dark steel clips. There are plenty of Ti lights which have better specs, are more flexible, etc. A $500 e1 is irrelevant, imho

True.
I wouldn't mind making a few Ti host in limited numbers, but the cost are quite high though so that is the reason I have not tackle it.
I was actually looking into it over 2 years ago and have still not gone with it due to the high cost.
Have been talking with the supplier about the cost on and off since then and I still can't get a workable cost to start the project.

But I am always interested in bringing more to the table, so suggestions are welcome.
No guarantee that I am going to make it tho. ;)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Whenever the incandescent style e series heads come available, it would be really cool if the bezels where sold separately so those who own original Surefire lights can switch over to a 7075 bezel or maybe even a stainless bezel for maximum drop protection...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Whenever the incandescent style e series heads come available, it would be really cool if the bezels where sold separately so those who own original Surefire lights can switch over to a 7075 bezel or maybe even a stainless bezel for maximum drop protection...

You mean bezel rings? Didn't know you could get different ones.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I mean the head is a two piece assembly, so if the piece furthest forward were to be machined of stainless steel instead of aluminum I think that would be awesome. And they would already have all the dimensions worked out, so it's a matter of using an alternative material.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh Ok so right now does anyone make a different bezel ring for E series head?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, will it fundamentally change the e1 body if you increase its diameter to accommodate 18350? Some people including Tana can bore even the stock body for 18350, so we are talking 0.5mm here, right? Also if the internal diameter is increased would a cr123 still sit ok just by means of the spring(s)?

Mark@LF

Enlightened
I mean the head is a two piece assembly, so if the piece furthest forward were to be machined of stainless steel instead of aluminum I think that would be awesome. And they would already have all the dimensions worked out, so it's a matter of using an alternative material.

Yes, it is and of course it will have removable bezels.
We will be offering bezels in the following options for now:

1. Flat, QPQ Black Stainless Steel
2. Cren, QPQ Black Stainless Steel
3. Defender, QPQ Black Stainless Steel
4. Flat, Sandblasted Stainless Steel
5. Cren, Sandblasted Black Stainless Steel
6. Defender, Sandblasted Black Stainless Steel

Titanium options MIGHT be available in very limited quantities.

The bezel that comes with the incan head unit is planned to be 7075-T6 anodised in HA3 Natural or HA3 Flat Black in Cren or Flat.
But I am considering putting QPQ Black Cren or Flat bezels on the head and not making any aluminum bezels.
It will blend in with the HA3 Black heads, but it will not blend in on the HA3 Naturals.
It looks good on the HA3 Naturals I think, but some customers might prefer the all Grey look.
Not to mention added cost of manufacture if I do that.

We'll see how it goes.

The project is progressing, but I still have a few bumps to overcome.
I am happy to tell you guys the reflector problem has been solved, after 8 tries I got the reflector down the way I want it.
Still got some dimension issues to overcome, but the hardest part (reflector) is done.

Cheers.

Mark

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Mark, will it fundamentally change the e1 body if you increase its diameter to accommodate 18350? Some people including Tana can bore even the stock body for 18350, so we are talking 0.5mm here, right? Also if the internal diameter is increased would a cr123 still sit ok just by means of the spring(s)?

It is an age old question and I think I have answered it quite a few times before.
I have looked into it before and thought the threads are too thin for me to feel comfortable.
But I will look into this further.

As to your second question:
The CR123 will sit okay, but I would recommend making a delrin sleeve to hold the batteries in place when using CR123 on bored bodies.

Last edited:

Mark@LF

Enlightened

No, I haven't.
Looks interesting, very compact and simple.

I assume the maker to be a very knowledgeable machinist, he made it very compact as to save materials and no switch which saves cost.
The design also use the easiest machining techniques to save labour which further save on the cost.
This way he could make a product that is $150 which is an acceptable price for a E Series Titanium body.
Very smart design.

I personally don't really like twist operations, but I guess it is down to personal preference.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome awesome!!! Can't wait for these heads and that's very exciting about the bezels. I'll be putting in an order for at least 2 and a bunch of other stuff from ya!

Rjkpsmith

Newly Enlightened
I know that this might be a long shot, but what are the chances of making some of these bodies available in a 1 x 16500/17500 format? I think that would be a great form factor for a lot of folks, just a bit easier to grasp than an E1e but not too long. Just throwing it out there, I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

BTW, major Kudos to LumensFactory for undertaking this project, the E series is a timeless design which should never go out of production. (IMHO)