LumensFactory Seraph P7 - would you choose multi-level or single output?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are 18650's mom safe? Will they fit in an M3? They're certainly a higher energy density.

They won't fit, unfortunately. Largest cell you can use is 2x17500 without modifying the M3.

Get AW's protected 17500 cells and they should be safe. The only thing to watch out for is that the protection circuit shuts off the cells automatically when they drain below a certain level which could literally leave you in the dark, so a backup is advised.

roberttheiii

Newly Enlightened
Ah, that's right, 17500s, my mistake there. Ok, protected cells. I think after I give her the P7 (it is a surprise) I'll just ask her if she'd rather have higher performance with some danger or lower performance and basically total safety.

R

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that's right, 17500s, my mistake there. Ok, protected cells. I think after I give her the P7 (it is a surprise) I'll just ask her if she'd rather have higher performance with some danger or lower performance and basically total safety.

R

Just MHO, but for non-flashaholics especially those close to me I would prefer them to be safe :) I don't want any battery accidents, but if they have to happen, let them happen to me first - I know how to react to them.

I'd give them a small backup light in case the juice runs out on the big one so they won't have to find their way home in the dark. Backup is always good!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P7 IS HERE!!!!!!!

Quick series of thoughts - not a review:

One look at it in its package and you know this is a nice light. Well built, heavy in the hand, and basically a superb package. I've known LumensFactory for quite a while, in fact I still have the t-shirt from years ago (thanks Mark!) and I must congratulate them on this wonderful M-series upgrade.

Mine arrived in a box with a label which indicates it is compatible with the P/C/Z series via the M-to-C adapter. Even better news, I have lots of C-series around but only one M. I might have to pick up that adapter at some time.

I do wish the mode memory was shorter (you have to leave the light off for 2 seconds before it memorizes your mode rather than changing it), and probably should have gotten the single mode, but such is fate. I think if I get used to it, it should be ok.

My TK40 seems a bit brighter though, both in the spill and the center areas.

But other than those two minor issues, this is THE LED turbohead upgrade we've been waiting for! Heatsinking is efficient and effective, the build quality is top notch and definitely befitting of the M-series, and the beam is perfect! No rings, no spots, just a nice spill and a great hotspot. It's definitely chunky and I'll have to get used to the weight redistribution compared to the extremely light (relatively) stock M3 bezel. And of course the price is unbeatable. For less than the cost of a KT1 you can have it all, quad-core LED included.

Compared to my SRTH with MN16 lamp, the SRTH has more spot, less spill, whereas the P7 has a very decent spot and slightly more spill, such is the nature of the large-die P7. Now I know why they say you can't stick P7's on the turbo towers that we use to retrofit legacy Turboheads with LEDs. Just won't go thru.

Compared to the ROP, the ROP has a slightly bigger spot and is brighter in the spill areas but the P7 definitely holds its own.

Compared to the TK40, the M3 package is definitely easier to carry. I bought the Oveready tail clip for the C-series tails, so I can belt carry this guy bezel down.

At the end of the day, the P7 is more efficient on the battery power and is 'instant-strike'. I can now tell that incans take a short while to come up to full power - they always have but next to a LED the difference is striking.

Conclusion? It's good. I like it. :) can't think of a better LED turbohead for the Surefires, and even though the price is a good one, it doesn't seem like they cut corners or attempted to build for price alone. Definitely a quality light!

artec540

Enlightened
I resurface after a long absence from CPF to find a stunning LED Turbohead for the M-series. Premium engineering at a not-so-premium price. Looks like I can't lose. Besides, LumensFactory makes the good stuff... they always have!

I've got an older M3 that no longer seems so bright to me, now that all these multi-core LEDs are running around. With apologies to the incan folks, my preference seems to have swung heavily to LEDs. (you guys will know I've done my share for the incan cause though :) )

Let's hear it from you owners.. and would you want the multi-level version vs the single level version? I can think of one advantage for the single level head being simplicity when things go bump in the night: you hit the tailcap and you always get max blast.

On the other hand, multilevel prevents the light from blinding me on nights when you need just a little bit less light. Yes, my TK40 is actually powerful enough to blind me from the splashback should I point it at something white. It's good stuff :D

So what would you choose, multi or single level, and why?

Without knowing that particular light, or how the different levels are selected, I would suggest that one advantage of the single level light would be that you always know exactly what to expect and would quickly develop the habit of turning it on in such a way as not to blind yourself and to show whatever it is you need to illuminate.

On the other hand, I've just ordered an SP7 3 mode light on which I am going to put a P7 M-head, also 3 mode and also ordered. So maybe I shall regret my choice of the three mode models. On the other hand, if one finds that one would really have preferred the single mode, can't you get your self into the habit of always turning it on in the same way? Without knowing how the modes are changed I may be talking nonsense. If I am, apologies!

roberttheiii

Newly Enlightened
The 2 seconds seems workable. I mean, my primary flashlight, ironically a Surefire Backup has to be off 2 seconds before it switches modes and I got used to it.

By safety on cells I mean the LiFePO4s vs protected Li-Ions. I would never give mom unprotected li-ions :p

R

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I rely a lot on my E1B too - a quick tap-tap will change levels just like this light.. perhaps I could retrain myself to use that way of working too. I upgraded my M3 to the Oveready clickie and it is quite sensitive, but I think the Oveready tail clip will make it harder to press. Looks like the extra $ was worth it.

I just need to get some boiling water for the tailcap....

(yup, most unusual installation tool I've ever used - boil the tailcap to install it!)

roberttheiii

Newly Enlightened
The 3-Mode arrived today. It certainly looks nice, I can't wait for her to light it up for the first time on the 10th. I did unscrew the head and grease the o-rings and threading with nygel. It was pretty dry inside. I was pleased to see it has double or rings in the lens threading. The single o ring sealing the lens against the front of the light is certainly the weak point for water entry. With plenty of lube on that and the threads I think it'll be fine though.