Malkoff AAA Flashlight? Now with poll.

Would you buy an AAA Malkoff light?

• Yes, regardless of options.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes, with qualifiers. I'm a Flashaholic, after all...

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nbp

Flashaholic
So, your options are "yes" or "yes". Now that's a poll that will be helpful to Gene! ;)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Malkoff products and am extremely impressed with all of them. I will certainly purchase more from Malkoff in the future.

However, the Thrunite Ti3 is less than $14. Has no PWM. Has three well spaced modes in the correct order (0.04, 12, and 120). Is barely bigger than a AA battery. And it's just one model out of dozens in the less than $20 price range, so if you want different modes or a different mode order, there's probably one out there for you already.

What could Malkoff do in this space that would be profitable for him but still competitive against the AAA lights already available?

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have several Malkoff products and am extremely impressed with all of them. I will certainly purchase more from Malkoff in the future.

However, the Thrunite Ti3 is less than $14. Has no PWM. Has three well spaced modes in the correct order (0.04, 12, and 120). Is barely bigger than a AA battery. And it's just one model out of dozens in the less than $20 price range, so if you want different modes or a different mode order, there's probably one out there for you already.

What could Malkoff do in this space that would be profitable for him but still competitive against the AAA lights already available?

--flatline

Judging by the posting activity in the McGizmo forum, people are still buying Sapphires, too .... I think finding a niche is key, but filling that need can be worthwhile. :shrug:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by the posting activity in the McGizmo forum, people are still buying Sapphires, too .... I think finding a niche is key, but filling that need can be worthwhile. :shrug:

Well, if Gene decides to make a AAA light, I hope it works out well for him.

--flatline

mn700vforce

Newly Enlightened
Would definitely be interested if he makes one of these. Not a lot Of made in the USA options in AAA lights

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff AAA Flashlight?

I understand your point, but in realty, no-one is going to weapon-mount an AAA light, so recoil damage is unlikely. Also, the terminal velocity of one falling isn't that high due to its lack of mass, so even dropping onto concrete from ridiculous height, it's unlikely to damage un-potted electronics.

I'm sure a Malkoff AAA would be a welcome addition to many forum members, I just cannot see it happening anytime soon. Has anyone fielded the idea to Gene?

Well, the law of gravity claims that weight plays no role in the terminal speed of a falling object ;) All of them accelerate at the rate of 9.8 m/s^2. I would say more: a flashlight weighing 1 metric ton will suffer less internal damage than a small one because it will not stop immediately of bounce off (the worst scenario), it will penetrate the pavement and the stopping G-load will be dramatically less.

Perhaps, this is why Malkoff lights are more durable: they crush things they hit and this way they dissipate the impact energy :D

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the law of gravity claims that weight plays no role in the terminal speed of a falling object ;) All of them accelerate at the rate of 9.8 m/s^2. I would say more: a flashlight weighing 1 metric ton will suffer less internal damage than a small one because it will not stop immediately of bounce off (the worst scenario), it will penetrate the pavement and the stopping G-load will be dramatically less.

Perhaps, this is why Malkoff lights are more durable: they crush things they hit and this way they dissipate the impact energy :D
The acceleration may be the same but impact force will be much higher for a heavier object because it has more mass. I've dropped a mag solitaire from heights that I'm sure would kill a heavier light, but because it weighs so little it hits with hardly any force.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the law of gravity claims that weight plays no role in the terminal speed of a falling object All of them accelerate at the rate of 9.8 m/s^2.

Ah, but 9.8 m/s^2 assumes a frictionless vacuum. Once you consider an atmosphere, terminal velocity, i.e. the velocity at which the force of gravity is balanced by the opposing forces of air resistance, is a factor.

night.hoodie

Enlightened

After re-visiting every post in this entire thread, I still want an AAA Malkoff, and unmentioned, a 2xAAA Malkoff, but not just an adoption of previous designs by other designers. I'd like it nearly exactly like the Malkoff AA and 2xAA bodies, with the same exact E-series thread compatibility. This would not look like jon_slider's estimation, his pictures reducing the AA body by 11%, but would be a mildly shorter body with a smaller diameter middle that would flute on the ends to provide for the wider diameter threads and McClicky tail. The AAA Malkoff light I envision would be a little shorter, and though the threads remain E-series compatible, would want a dedicated shorter modular head to accentuate what could be saved in length and diameter... one that could also be lego-ed onto the currently existing bodies. Gene could set a new standard of smaller dropin for such a head, which I hope would be visually compatible with the VME Valiant Concepts head, but probably would necessarily need to appear more like the Aleph 2 head. Maybe 2 new Malkoff head designs are here, one like the VME that is modular, and one like the Aleph 2 that is built solid and potted.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, but 9.8 m/s^2 assumes a frictionless vacuum. Once you consider an atmosphere, terminal velocity, i.e. the velocity at which the force of gravity is balanced by the opposing forces of air resistance, is a factor.

Of course :) But this is not weight, this is aerodynamics. A dropped bow arrow will hit the ground faster than a metric ton weighting construction slab.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Now that the thread originator has been banned, can a 'No' option be added to the poll to give Gene some meaningful poll data?
A brief reminder, no public discussion of banning or moderation please ...

The banning of others is not a topic for discussion anywhere on CPF .... As a rule, bannings do not concern the rest of the board

scout24

Flashaholic

Now that the thread originator has been banned, can a 'No' option be added to the poll to give Gene some meaningful poll data?

Quite honestly, not voting is a "No"... ;) There are only 26 total yes votes posted, and how many have read/ shared thoughts in the thread?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I would think, of all the people who don't want a Malkoff AAA ... very few would register on CPF, get several posts approved, locate this thread, and vote "no" in the poll :ohgeez:

markr6

Flashaholic
I would think, of all the people who don't want a Malkoff AAA ... very few would register on CPF, get several posts approved, locate this thread, and vote "no" in the poll :ohgeez:

Ah, you finally caught me!

GoVegan

Enlightened

Gene said that this Malkoff AAA light is a possibility over 1 year ago, and with Elzetta not interested in producing a keychain flashlight (which I totally understand as they are only interested in selling tactical lights) and although Henry previously expressed and interest in a designing a keychain light he stated that it would be in a AA form (14500 compatible) besides we all know how slow Henry can be plus I think the AA format is too big for keychain duty.

So with the legendary Arc AAA discontinued a few years ago, and with the Fenix E01 having been recently discontinued, now seems like a great time to produce a new A class robust keychain light.

I think Gene would probably want to keep it simple, probably a single mode, and with that in mind I'd like to see a modern take on the Arc AAA / Fenix E01 so...

Arc AAA form factor.
1 AAA, alkaline, lithium, and NiMH, i.e. 1.2v-1.5v.
Twisty.
Potted head.
Knurled similar to the Arc AAA.
Keychain attachment (doesn't need to tailstand).
No clip, as this is designed to be for keychain use first and foremost.
Maybe 20 lumens (a modern take on the classic 6 / 9 / 10 / 13 lumens we all found highly useful on the Arc and Fenix lights, with a bit more brightness to make it a bit more useful for more people).
Long runtime.
Cool white, and neutral option (similar to the Malkoff MDC AA).

I think I covered everything.

BTW I couldn't vote in the poll as it says "This poll is closed".

DILLY DILLY!!
Obviously everyone won't be happy with whatever ends up happening, but I'd love to see a Malkoff take on the ARC AAA\ Fenix E01 as well. I've tried the ARC twice but favor the E01 look and form factor, probably because that's what I cut my teeth on. If Gene calls and asks for my input I'm gonna tell him single mode twisty, knurled body, long runtime, and lowish output.