Malkoff AAA Flashlight? Now with poll.

Would you buy an AAA Malkoff light?

• Yes, regardless of options.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes, with qualifiers. I'm a Flashaholic, after all...

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff AAA Flashlight?

Update From Gene ....

Although I think it likely that Mr Malkoff is well aware of this thread, and that his reply to @Nichia! enquiry would be subsequently relayed to CPF, please do be mindful of Rule 12.

If you have permission to quote directly, please note that in your post.

Screencaps of eMails or texts are discouraged.

And, of course, if Gene has any concerns here, he is welcome to contact staff directly .... Thanks :)

That said, while I don't imagine a Malkoff AAA would overtake sales of any other particular model, it is possible to build bomb-proof and small AAA lights: the Fenix E01 may be ugly as sin, but nobody disputes its ability to take abuse. Likewise I believe the new Surefire Titan/Plus lights are pretty robust and still small enough to fit within the AAA range - the Plus certainly fits well enough on my keychain.

Depending on the size, feature set, etc it might dislodge the Olight from my keychain.

Gt390

Newly Enlightened

I guess you couldn't reasonably expect much more in the way of a positive response. He said he was interested in a aaa project. Now we hurry up and wait :)

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened

Yep, I'm another Malkoff fan. Even though it might not be the smallest in class for EDC, in typical Malkoff fashion it would certainly be a high quality, bomb-proof piece of kit. If Gene made it a reality, I'd be in.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, I'm another Malkoff fan. Even though it might not be the smallest in class for EDC, in typical Malkoff fashion it would certainly be a high quality, bomb-proof piece of kit. If Gene made it a reality, I'd be in.

Thank you. I think your post echos the will of the many.

You're voice brings the total to 52.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a possibility, gents. I'm willing to wait a year, or longer. I've been a flashlight junkie for my whole life. This is unlikely to change while Mr. Malkoff prioritizes his projects.

I suspect that sums things up nicely for most of us. :D

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

I would love to see an AAA light from Malkoff that can also use a 10440. Even an extremely thing AA/14500 light would be great. The current heads are just a tad too big.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

visual aid:
mockup of AAA top, based on length of AA Tool and AAA Tool (11% shorter)
38226918721_8f59401a27_b.jpg

dss_777

Enlightened

My most used light is the ARC AAA on my keychain. Very sturdy, bare minimum form factor, long run times, minimum usable light output... would LOVE to see Gene do his version of that.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Clever, as usual. How does that translate into length/diameter measurements?
The diameter spec of the AA Tool is 18.5mm, the AAA Tool is 14.5mm (22% smaller).

Arc AAA is a twisty, I don't think that would be on Malkoff Radar.

I also don't expect to see a change from the McClicky tail switch if Malkoff makes an AAA model. More likely he will just offer an AAA and 2xAAA body option for the MDC head, like he already does for other cell types, by offering a CR123, 2xCR123, AA, and 2xAA body.

odds of Malkoff designing an AAA specific head are slim, Imo, and odds of going to a different switch are very low.

all speculation of course, since thats all this thread is

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Arc AAA is a twisty
I don't expect to see a change from the McClicky tail switch if Malkoff makes an AAA model. More likely he will just offer an AAA and 2xAAA body option for the MDC head, like he already does for other cell types, by offering a CR123, 2xCR123, AA, and 2xAA body.

it is probably even simpler to just put an AAA sleeve insert into the AA tube.. but he probably won't do that, because it introduces another point of failure.. Reliability wise, a purpose built AAA tube is most likely.

odds of Malkoff designing an AAA specific head are slim, Imo, and odds of going to a different switch are very low.

all speculation of course, since thats all this thread is

I would think that the above would largely defeat the purpose of this project ... as you say it would be simple to just create a AAA -> AA adapter (and in fact I have these already)

Most of the point of AAA is to sacrifice capacity for size, and keeping a clicky is counterproductive to that end, as the twisty switch can be made much smaller.

Similarly, the current MDC bezel is much too large for a AAA tube, even a beefed up version.

Just speaking for myself, but I would have little interest in an MDC just ~ 10% shorter and thinner, yet still with the same sized bezel :shrug:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would have little interest in an MDC just ~ 10% shorter and thinner, yet still with the same sized bezel :shrug:

I feel the same way. To me AAA is best suited to twisty and small..
I think we need to clarify switch expectations, and whether the McClicky is not required (its a signature feature of Malkoffs until now I think).

Maybe we need to let Malkoff know that a twisty is preferred, and that we want a light the size of a Fenix E01, or Peak Eiger (epoxy encapsulated and 10440 compatible) ?

For keychain use, he would have to design a whole new head, switch, and body.

Do people want a Keychain sized Malkoff Twisty AAA? It sounds so unMalkoff to me :)

Last edited:

Javora

Enlightened

I wonder how much it would cost to buy both a clicky and non-clicky tailcaps?

archimedes

Flashaholic

.... Do people want a Keychain sized Malkoff Twisty AAA? It sounds so unMalkoff to me :)

This was what I was thinking ...

Potted resistored high/low twisty-switch AAA (with safe voltage range 0.8 - 4.5V) ... yes, please

... and at least a few others agree ...

I've got a narrow window of interest on a AAA light, but I'd be on board with exactly this setup. Great idea!

I totally agree with archimedes. That interface would be ideal. I would even be in for a pre buy.

Agreed with Archimedes as well. I'm not a fan of twist, untwist, but a progressive twisty would be just fine! Clicky is always nice on an AAA, too, just would beef up the size a little. We already know it's going to be overbuilt, and because it's a AAA, clicky would be a little excessive IMHO.

I guess I'd add warm tint and high CRI, too :)

Nothing will satisfy everyone, though, which is the challenge, perhaps :thinking:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

well done guys, you're defining the goal pretty well I think

epoxy potted, graduated twisty, choice of high cri, neutral, or cool, 10440 compatible, keychain size AAA, made in USA...

while waiting for your Malkoff order to be ready, here is a light that tics all the boxes, I think, for just $55
Peak Eiger

26457889109_114c8bbf32_b.jpg

sized proportionately for illustration, the Malkoff is 4.5", the Eiger is 3.25" long.

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

I'm definitely in favor of a twist head if it'll slim the light down

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely in favor of a twist head if it'll slim the light down

yes, eliminating the 3/4" diameter McClicky switch would make it possible to build a light with a 1/2" diameter head. There are also other clickie switches that will fit a 1/2" diameter tail...

afaik, the Malkoff AA MDC has a 1" diameter head.