Malkoff "Hound Dog"

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Certain adjustments may be necessary (appropriate heatsinking, switch, batteries, etc) ... but TorchLAB v5 Triple P60 does ~3500-ish lumens

Yes and get a runtime of how many minutes? 8 or 12? l don't think that's possible off 1 18650 and if it is, its lifetime will be very short as it will have to pull 10 Amps maybe. 2x18650 will be more feasible with a better runtime and then we are talking Hound-Dog sized lights. Not compact 6P format that you can EDC.

Not practically anyway.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's the size of the rubber ring that goes under the head of Hound Dog? I want to get a bit more tension there when switching from High mode to low.

Who has a more substantial O-ring to increase the tension?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's the size of the rubber ring that goes under the head of Hound Dog? I want to get a bit more tension there when switching from High mode to low.

I emailed Gene about this exact thing. At one point, I was using some white plumber's tape to snug up that fit.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't find it now, but someone on this thread (maybe it was another thread?) used the fattest O-ring in the pack of O-rings from Elzetta and reported an increase in tension. I've not tried it myself, as I rather like it as it comes. Might be worth looking into if you're bothered by the standard tension.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Yes and get a runtime of how many minutes? 8 or 12? l don't think that's possible off 1 18650 and if it is, its lifetime will be very short as it will have to pull 10 Amps maybe. 2x18650 will be more feasible with a better runtime and then we are talking Hound-Dog sized lights. Not compact 6P format that you can EDC.

Runtime of ~ 10 minutes from 2x IMR18350, in my specific example above.

Practicality is in the eye of the beholder, I would suppose, and I certainly never said that was practical for me (as I am a low output fanatic, myself)

I was just pointing out that "1000 lumen performance" is most certainly (well) within the capabilities of the P60 platform.

Yes, switches and springs should be upgraded. Yes, multi-cell high-discharge IMR cells are needed. Yes, longer hosts and/or tube extenders may be useful. Yes, metal foil dropin fittings and/or finned bezels may be appropriate.

But a thousand lumen P60 host can certainly be built and, for some, may be practical and useful ... :shrug:

Thinking of torches even much smaller than P60 for EDC, I have a ~ 1000 lumen output set on my tiny OR BOSS 70 (run on 1x IMR18650). Rarely if ever use it, but it is available :D

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I got a second Hound Dog, this one 'regular' i.e. not a neutral like my first one.

I am pleased to say that the original (XML2) has a very nice tint very similar to Neutral - just a shade less neutral and just a shade brighter. Nice.

All three of my Hound Dogs are neutral. I've often wondered if I should've picked up at least one CW. Perhaps the Hound Dog Super? I don't really need a pleasing neutral tint @ 250 meters. I just need to identify what's what.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
who has a replacement lense for the Hound Dog?
The default one appears to be a plastic one. I know this question has been raised before but not really answered as far as I can tell.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
who has a replacement lense for the Hound Dog?
The default one appears to be a plastic one. I know this question has been raised before but not really answered as far as I can tell.

I have the replacement lens for the Hound Dog, which I ordered late last year as a back up in case any of my HD lenses should break. As far as I can tell (and I am no expert) the replacement lenses are made of the same acrylic as the originals.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
question, exactly how bad will the Hound Dog run on 2x123? In the MD2 body?

I realize the runtime is abysmal on high - 15 minutes or less but how about low?

I think I prefer MD3 body for primaries however. MD4 is ideal but problematic for EDC. While MD3, I think can pull it off.

The input voltage is 5.5 - 12 Volts. It can use two to four CR123 (output will be lower and runtime may be lowered to as little as 15 minutes on two CR123 primary cells, not recommended) primary lithium cells or two to three rechargeable Li-ion cells (use quality protected cells only). The current draw is approximately 1.5 Amps at 9 Volts and 1 Amp at 12 Volts. The runtime on four CR123 primary cells is approximately 1 hour. The runtime on two protected 3400 ma Li-ion 18650 cells is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours at full output.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
The CPF threads about Malkoff convinced me to pick one up as a light to keep in my bag at work. I think it's fair to say the Hound Dog was my first introduction to a proper high quality light. We are issued with Led Lenser F1s to keep on our belts and our cars have Top Gun MKV rechargeables in them. I haven't used either of those since I got my Hound Dog. I'm still deciding whether to sink a few hundred more $$s into a Hound Dog Super. :confused:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
question, exactly how bad will the Hound Dog run on 2x123? In the MD2 body?

I realize the runtime is abysmal on high - 15 minutes or less but how about low?

I think I prefer MD3 body for primaries however. MD4 is ideal but problematic for EDC. While MD3, I think can pull it off.

Haven't tested the HD XML on 2 x CR123, but earlier on this thread INFRNL did a run time on the Hound Dog 18650 using a pair of primaries on low beam. I don't remember the exact total of hours, but it took a couple of days to complete the test. Lots of burn time. 30 hours? 40? I tried to go back and find the post but came up empty.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't tested the HD XML on 2 x CR123, but earlier on this thread INFRNL did a run time on the Hound Dog 18650 using a pair of primaries on low beam. I don't remember the exact total of hours, but it took a couple of days to complete the test. Lots of burn time. 30 hours? 40? I tried to go back and find the post but came up empty.

Correction. That post from INFRNL was on the Malkoff junkie thread.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Runtime of ~ 10 minutes from 2x IMR18350, in my specific example above.

Practicality is in the eye of the beholder, I would suppose, and I certainly never said that was practical for me (as I am a low output fanatic, myself)

I was just pointing out that "1000 lumen performance" is most certainly (well) within the capabilities of the P60 platform.

Y

Got it.. It's within the realm of possibilities but the 8 minute runtime is not practical. Not even for the members of this community, who are on the eccentric side to begin with. This is just a semantic way of saying that it cannot be done. It's like building a car with a 1-gallon gas tank but 5000 horses.

I could kind of see a possibility of a dual mode MD2 body where I would run it on low 99% of the time and only kick into the high mode in some emergency. Like, when attacked, or something.

I don't have an MD2 with a high-low switch which is what I really want (instead of being stuck with many single-moded 6Ps) so I EDC a SF G2x which is precisely that. 15 lumens being used as the primary mode and 320 as the reserve mode. And the latter can give you at least an hour.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried to EDC the Hound Dog - came to a realization I need a nice leather holster on the belt.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I know HD *18650* can certainly do it and was designed for it. I am also aware the 'regular' HD was not designed for it - was just wondering if anyone has actually tried it. Even though it's outside the specs. Well, never mind. I am going to take a guess that the runtime will be incredibly short, non-practically so.

I decided to pursue an MD3 body for the HD as a feasible ways to EDC that monster. MD4 just doesn't fit into any of my pockets without sticking out and being non-discreet.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CPF threads about Malkoff convinced me to pick one up as a light to keep in my bag at work. I think it's fair to say the Hound Dog was my first introduction to a proper high quality light. We are issued with Led Lenser F1s to keep on our belts and our cars have Top Gun MKV rechargeables in them. I haven't used either of those since I got my Hound Dog. I'm still deciding whether to sink a few hundred more $$s into a Hound Dog Super. :confused:

Hound Dog Super is an amazing outdoor light when you need more punch beyond 50 meters. It just really gets out there.

Hound Dog does project to several hundred feet but the hotspot of the HD Super is a lot sharper with a lot more punch a lot further. It's an amazing device. It's really an incredible value compared to other stuff on the market.

I added an extension to make it a 3x18650 light which means it's about as large as a 3D maglite. But that increased lumens and runtime.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find it now, but someone on this thread (maybe it was another thread?) used the fattest O-ring in the pack of O-rings from Elzetta and reported an increase in tension. I've not tried it myself, as I rather like it as it comes. Might be worth looking into if you're bothered by the standard tension.

I went to a hardware store and picked out a few O-rings that made the light a bit more tight. The stock O-ring that comes with it is really no good, seems like lightly off size-wise.

Now it kind of snaps into place. A nice 65 cent mode. The guy said it's a 1" O-ring with 1.25" on the outside and 1-1/8" on the inside, but I may have gotten these wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: