Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first Hound Dog with an optic. It is also the first Hound Dog to use a completely different head and bezel assembly....likely partly responsible for the price increase.

My guess is that the Super's more tightly focused photons will somewhat impair it's usability on low at close range. This is one of the High Voltage and 18650 unit's strengths. Use it low for most of the time, with a great beam, then twist the head when it's necessary to reach out to illuminate something. I don't expect the Super to replace any of my other Hound Dogs.

I'm not sure if the Hound Dog High Voltage and 18650 heads are being replaced by the Super (aka, the new generation). I vaguely recall reading that it is in addition to the other models.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My XML2 Neutral HD is my favorite and most used light. It will be interesting to see if the HD Super can replace it as my goto light. No light has got me this excited for a long time.

Like others have already stated, I doubt the "Super" is meant as a replacement to the regular XM-L models. The optic should give it quite a different character than the XM-L reflector. Where the XM-L models are great all-around beams (similar to the MX1 dropins with more throw), I suspect the optic should prove to be more of a tool for throwing light on distant objects, with a much wider, dimmer spill--less of an all-rounder, if you will.

pulstar

Enlightened
Price is quite high indeed. Quality is also high but hea, everything has his max. Hope I really digg the light otherwise it will be on the market very quickly.

If you ordered neutral one, shoot me a PM if you won't be satisfied with it:)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know (yet) if the new HD Super head will fit bodies other than the MD4 (or MD3...)?

Does it fit standard SF type tubes (C-type)? Or does the hi-low ring cause problems?

Thanks in advance!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the head is designed for the MD series, it won't work with any other bodies. It doesn't have a component to interface with the C-series socket.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Since the primary focus of the super hound dog is throw, I'm surprised and a bit dissapointed that Gene didn't utilize one of the 2 available HI emitters. Maybe he'll make a super duper hound dog with xhp35-hi in the future

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Since the primary focus of the super hound dog is throw, I'm surprised and a bit dissapointed that Gene didn't utilize one of the 2 available HI emitters. Maybe he'll make a super duper hound dog with xhp35-hi in the future

I was wondering the same thing - and I still don't have an answer to how this is pushing 1350 lumens when the max output according to Cree's data sheet is 1095.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
It's simple to achieve higher numbers than cree's data sheets. Simply overdrive the emitter. Cree's specs are always on the conservative side. The super hound dog looks like it has great heatsinking thus allowing the xpl to be overdriven.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Traditionally, over driving the emitter isn't part of Gene's methodology.

From the product page:
The current draw at 7.4v is 2600maThe current draw at 12v is 1600ma

How does this line up with Cree's specs?

The M61HOT uses an XP-L HI, so he certainly knows they exist and has easy access to them.

By the way, both cool and neural are in stock, both with MD4s and without.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Looks like maximum recommended wattage for an xpl is 10 watts. Gene is pushing 19 watts to the xpl on the super hound dog, compared to about 6.5 watts on an m61 HOT. Super hound dog must have great heatsinking to handle that much extra wattage

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like maximum recommended wattage for an xpl is 10 watts. Gene is pushing 19 watts to the xpl on the super hound dog, compared to about 6.5 watts on an m61 HOT. Super hound dog must have great heatsinking to handle that much extra wattage

I think 19w is at the battery. Since input voltage is 7-12 I guess it's using a buck converter? So I doubt the emitter is seeing anywhere near 19w.

Gene43

Enlightened
It's 4 amps to the emitter with 28mm custom copper sinkpad bolted to a 4mm thick aluminum partition machined into the head.

Thanks, Gene

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new light uses a whole new head, new optic, new LED, basically a new design. I think it would have made sense to name it something else perhaps, logically?

I am sure it's a great light no matter what it's named. I understand wanting to keep the Hound Dog heritage.

To shift gears, here the 'original' Hound Dog - actually it's the XML generation that does 900 lumens in Neutral mode. I like the bicycle handle grip modification as well as the surefire tailcap modification, they just seem to play well with each other. The rubber grip sticks to your hand, has a perfect diameter and doesn't get cold in the winter time as does metal.

Last edited:

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
If the XP-L HI was specifically developed for throwers by using optics, why does this light use the XP-L with the dome? It's a very interesting choice and I'm curious what the initial testing showed that eliminated the XP-L HI from the running.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dome spreads more of the beam into the optic's sides/cone, this is the part which makes the optic throw.

I guess XPL-HI with its domeless profile puts more of the lumens into the optic's center, which allows for more lumems into the spill instead of into the hotspot.