Malkoff "Hound Dog"

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better than what I expected. I thought I would see something similar to M60 only 6 times brighter. Or worse, something similar to laser beam of Maglite. 1400 lumens all packed into laser-tight beam and useless anywhere but 100+ meters.

but this looks like a huge hotspot and much hotter versus XML2. Much better than I expected.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
donscpoo,

Thanks for your beamshot! No doubt that the new HD is an impressive light. Still I am wondering: it looks like the output of Super HD is 3 times higher than the predecessor. Even the spill is bright. Was the exposure really the same with these shots? I wonder because the spill of XM-L2 HD is very bright and SEVERAL times brighter than the spill of Surefire M6lt(also ~900lm). 1300lm does not seem to be enough for the output of Super HD according to your beamshot.

donscpoo

Newly Enlightened
donscpoo,

Thanks for your beamshot! No doubt that the new HD is an impressive light. Still I am wondering: it looks like the output of Super HD is 3 times higher than the predecessor. Even the spill is bright. Was the exposure really the same with these shots? I wonder because the spill of XM-L2 HD is very bright and SEVERAL times brighter than the spill of Surefire M6lt(also ~900lm). 1300lm does not seem to be enough for the output of Super HD according to your beamshot.

The beam shots were done on my iPhone so I have not much control over the camera settings. The HD Super is definitely brighter but not 3 times brighter in real life. The beam of the HD Super is tighter and have a bigger hotspot. This helps with the throw and it definitely out throw the XML2 HD. I tried it last night but did not get chance to take any beam shot. The surrounding was too bright.

Don

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting in that the beam is both "tighter" and has a "bigger hotpost" all the same time.

Any shots at 25-50m?

Last edited:

donscpoo

Newly Enlightened
is the runtime of the HD super on "high" shorter than the XM-L version?

HD Super runtime is shorter according to Gene's test. I have not get the chance to run it for a long time. After running it for a few minutes, it does feel hotter than the XML2 HD

Don

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
HD Super runtime is shorter according to Gene's test. I have not get the chance to run it for a long time. After running it for a few minutes, it does feel hotter than the XML2 HD

Don
Don thanks. Looking forward to more user insights on the HD Super.

Dns

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make a body extension to fit the md4?
I want to try the hd super with 3 18650's.

Oveready makes one to fit sf, but i dont know if it is a similar thread to my malkoff bodies...

donscpoo

Newly Enlightened
Looks very interesting. Probably the only light I will buy this year.

This is my first light purchase in 2 years. I stopped buying more light after I found the HD. Malkoff is the only light that can make me pull the trigger these days. This HD Super is likely to make me stay low again for a few years. It fits nicely into my system. I carry a mule on my backpack shoulder strap for area lighting during my night hikes and uses the HD for long distance spotting to avoid walking into hogs.

Don

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam shots were done on my iPhone so I have not much control over the camera settings. The HD Super is definitely brighter but not 3 times brighter in real life. The beam of the HD Super is tighter and have a bigger hotspot. This helps with the throw and it definitely out throw the XML2 HD. I tried it last night but did not get chance to take any beam shot. The surrounding was too bright.

Don

Thanks. Still your beamshots are very valuable. And it confirms that the lens design provides a beam character something similar to Surefire M6LT with a beefy and powerful hotspot and with no sharp spill edge. I just wish Malkoff Hound Dogs and Wildcats had a low mode of ~30% of the high instead of 5-6%. For brightness levels lower than 100lm I have other lights.

Last edited:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Does anyone make a body extension to fit the md4?
I want to try the hd super with 3 18650's.

Oveready makes one to fit sf, but i dont know if it is a similar thread to my malkoff bodies...
The Oveready extension does fit, but they seem to be out of the black finish. Nitemods carries a 68mm body (black) that will work too. The Malkoff MD2, MD3 and MD4 bodies have Surefire compatible tailcap threads.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
The Oveready extension does fit, but they seem to be out of the black finish. Nitemods carries a 68mm body (black) that will work too. The Malkoff MD2, MD3 and MD4 bodies have Surefire compatible tailcap threads.

I personally don't see the point in a 3X18650 body. The MD4 is long enough as it is. So long in fact I find myself leaving it on my nightstand most of the time.

Wait for a 4X design that overlaps the cells - wouldn't be that thick and with 2X the runtime could be worth the tradeoff.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first light purchase in 2 years. I stopped buying more light after I found the HD. Malkoff is the only light that can make me pull the trigger these days. This HD Super is likely to make me stay low again for a few years. It fits nicely into my system.

Plus one....

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Still your beamshots are very valuable. And it confirms that the lens design provides a beam character something similar to Surefire M6LT with a beefy and powerful hotspot and with no sharp spill edge. I just wish Malkoff Hound Dogs and Wildcats had a low mode of ~30% of the high instead of 5-6%. For brightness levels lower than 100lm I have other lights.

I think his lumen spacing is just right. 30% is 300-400 lumens, not exactly an economy mode.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get more energy storage, I'm waiting on the dual 26650 body. I bought a black HA Oveready 18650 extension over a year ago. I've only done basic testing with it.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think his lumen spacing is just right. 30% is 300-400 lumens, not exactly an economy mode.

In my opinion the present option is very low brightness/very short distance/very long runtime OR very high brightness/very short runtime. A 300-400lm mode should provide 5-6hours stable runtime with enough brightness for some distance, and it still could be left unattended without risk for overheating. I prefer that and can use a smaller light for ~50lm level.