Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

now that you mention it, I think I may have been getting these 2 threads mixed up at times.

Yes, after seeing Grizz's pic of the triad's, I'm going to have to check them out. Is oveready the only place we can get them?

Oveready is at the top of the heap in terms of quality, but I think they are in BOSS mode and are always sold out of everything else. The only triads available now are natural. Black is sold out. The other switches are chrome or titanium or whatever. As far as Surefire switches, I don't even know where to get them. Surefire doesn't seem to sell parts of any kind, at least not online. When I do a google search, I find dealers who are out of stock, or I find no-name clones. Or am I missing something?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious to see what you come up with in your experiment, have fun

Since I had already sighted in a few distances with the range finder, I went out in hopes of doing full comparison of the Hound Dog Super vs the Hound Dog 18650. However, my plans were thwarted by some unwelcome light pollution from a nearby park. That said, I was able find enough darkness to shine both lights at a tree line 390 yards away. I could discern the basic form of a tree line with either flashlight, but if there had been any people or objects among the trees I would not have known. This distance is significantly beyond the effective range of either light. What's interesting is that the Super had only a marginal advantage over the 18650. The hot spot of the Super was larger, but I was not able to see further or in any more detail. Even my Elzetta Charlie at 12,000 lux was able reveal a vague outline of trees, albeit with still less detail.

After this, I held both Malkoff lights side by side and illuminated much closer objects, but at unmeasured distances. I think the aforementioned figure of 25% more throw from the Super was being generous. I don't see a tremendous difference, although when held side by side one can see that the Super delivers more light to objects within its range. I intend to do more testing but based on these results, I'm guessing the maximum effective range will be in the neighborhood of 250 yards for the 18650 and perhaps 275-300 for the Super. The strength of the Super is in the size of the hotspot, which translates into a broad area of illumination at a distance. The reflector based HD can't match that, even though it can hold its own in terms of absolute distance.

My lovely, long-suffering wife joined me for this experiment to offer her input and keep my opinions honest. She is in agreement. Both lights are neutral (4000K). The HD 18650 was running on a single, unprotected AW 3000 mAh IMR cell. The Super was running on a pair of Keepower 3400 mAh protected cells. All batteries were fully charged at the time. In case anyone was wondering, eye sight is not an issue. I have excellent, uncorrected vision. :laughing::candle::nana:

Howecollc

Enlightened

Oveready is at the top of the heap in terms of quality, but I think they are in BOSS mode and are always sold out of everything else. The only triads available now are natural. Black is sold out. The other switches are chrome or titanium or whatever. As far as Surefire switches, I don't even know where to get them. Surefire doesn't seem to sell parts of any kind, at least not online. When I do a google search, I find dealers who are out of stock, or I find no-name clones. Or am I missing something?
My HD Super with a Z59 on it for the time being. I want a black Triad as well, but Oveready indeed says they won't be available until sometime this Fall.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I looked at a used car last night. Took the Super with me. A minor mistake. It was burning a hole in its engine bay and outside body panels while did not illuminate the entire thing like the XML Hound Dog would.

It's a higher performance thrower, especially outdoors. Not what you want if it's 3 feet in front of you.

It did however illuminate what was in its hotspot really well.

Not that it didn't work. It did. Just that I had to move the hotspot all over to integrate the picture.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week I checked the brightness with the light meter after had been used the light an unmeasured time. Suddenly the brightness started to drop and after only a short while the light shut off. The decline before shut off was so small so it was not noticeable for the eyes. I placed the cells in the charger and both cells showed 3,3V.
At Malkoff site I read that operating voltage is from 3V. Consequently this mean that the over discharge protection of the cells/one of the cells kicked in. This means that is no voltage warning using 2cells, neither 3cells. Full output and then before any warning it will shut off.

That made me curious how Super HD performs on a single 18650. I used an Eagletac 3400mAh cell, not fully charged but above 4,1V. Initial brightness was around 1/3 of the brightness with 2 cells. It seemed flat for the first 10 minutes and then started to slowly drop. Approximately values based on stated 2cell brightness by Malkoff then are following:

Until 30min: 400+lm
At 60min: ~350lm
At 1hour 30min: ~300lm
At 2hour 30min: ~270lm

I stopped the test and checked the voltage: 3,56V. After that bedtime.

Next day I continued the test. At 30min(tot 3hours) it was ~240lm and at 1hour(tot. 3hour 30min) the brightness was around 200lm. Then I stopped the test and the cell showed 3,44V.

At first my intention was to run it until it shut off but I think this test in enough. It may be good to know that you can run Hound Dog Super with a single 18650 not regulated and still around 200lm after 3,5 hours. For better comfort and balance you can use it with a CR123 spacer cell in a MD3 body. One advantage compared to multi cell is that you may have some chance to notice that the brightness drops and replace the cell before the light shut off. The low mode with single 18650 is around 15lm initially and around half of that with low cell.

Just for fun I compared the light at the moment the lumen output was comparable to M61N. While the spill was much wider and dimmer the hotspot was(as expected) much more intense and throwy.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is interesting because iirc, my super, xml, wcv6 and m91t will not light up at all on a 18650

Edit
I got confirmation that my super does work on an 18650but the others still do not.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

old vs new malkoff tailcap.
tmp_20465-DSC_0232-2079371691_zpsqzbyuq3h.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I remember talking to Gene re the Kroll tailcap. Hw had ordered them with lower resistance than Krolls used by Streamlight. I removed the Kroll and switched in a minimag AA tailcap, and use it as a twisty.

Bill

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

hehe replyed to the wrong thread. but have also used the minimag tailcap. Had qtc installed in the minimag tailcap. Removed the spring in the minimag tailcap and used the hole for the spare bulb to hold some qtc in place. Just used some insulation i stripped off a wire, stuffed it into the spare bulb hole, then stuffed some qtc in the insulation, then i put a metal piston in the insulation. So the harder i twisted the minimag cap, the more tention on the piston, and the brighter it got. It worked very well. Twist head for on off, turn the minimag cap to adjust brightness :)

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened

Great picture. :thumbsup:

What does the Z59 bring to the table compared to the Z41? Just another option? Looks about 3/32" longer.

I guess the biggest difference for me is simply the aesthetics of the Z59 vs the Z41. My flashoholism started with the Surefire L4 and other e-series lights. When I got my first 9P about 5 years ago I considered putting a McClicky kit in it, but decided I just didn't like the all too basic look of the Z41. I preferred the spacing of the knurled and smooth sections, the writing on the side vs the end, and the line and partial shrouding at the end of the Z59. In other words, it looked more like the e-series clicky switches I was used to. And now that I've played around with my first McClicky switch (in the form of the Malkoff tailcap) I see that the Z59 also has a much firmer press than the McClicky with what I assume is a soft press boot that Malkoff uses. I however do realize I seem to be in a huge minority.....preferring a stiff switch to a softer one.

My Z59 is 1-3/16" long not including the protruding portion of the boot. It looks like your Z41 in the pic you posted elsewhere is 1" long (I couldn't find my Z41 to measure).

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened

tmp_20465-DSC_0232-2079371691_zpsqzbyuq3h.jpg

The Krolls made a very nice tail cap switch. They were stout.

I always felt like the newer Malkoff switches were a huge improvement looks-wise. That Kroll boot just looked so cheesy to me. By "stout" I assume you mean the clicking action? Has no one ever tried putting a hard press boot in the Malkoff tailcap with the McClicky?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stout meaning very strong, sturdy, able to withstand decent voltage/amperage, reliable, durable, etc.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
One of those Kroll caps would look mighty good on an older MD2 or Surefire. Of course, you'd have to match it with a M60 for nostalgia.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone used a meter on their super to check the actual lux its putting out?

I don't have a meter but wondering if it's (neutral) really putting out 70000k lux. From what modernflame has stated and my own personal experience, i feel it's not putting out 70000k.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing if you added binoculars to the equation, you would see the benefits of the Hound Dog Super over the 18650 Hound Dog. Just guessing.

Since I had already sighted in a few distances with the range finder, I went out in hopes of doing full comparison of the Hound Dog Super vs the Hound Dog 18650. However, my plans were thwarted by some unwelcome light pollution from a nearby park. That said, I was able find enough darkness to shine both lights at a tree line 390 yards away. I could discern the basic form of a tree line with either flashlight, but if there had been any people or objects among the trees I would not have known. This distance is significantly beyond the effective range of either light. What's interesting is that the Super had only a marginal advantage over the 18650. The hot spot of the Super was larger, but I was not able to see further or in any more detail. Even my Elzetta Charlie at 12,000 lux was able reveal a vague outline of trees, albeit with still less detail.

After this, I held both Malkoff lights side by side and illuminated much closer objects, but at unmeasured distances. I think the aforementioned figure of 25% more throw from the Super was being generous. I don't see a tremendous difference, although when held side by side one can see that the Super delivers more light to objects within its range. I intend to do more testing but based on these results, I'm guessing the maximum effective range will be in the neighborhood of 250 yards for the 18650 and perhaps 275-300 for the Super. The strength of the Super is in the size of the hotspot, which translates into a broad area of illumination at a distance. The reflector based HD can't match that, even though it can hold its own in terms of absolute distance.

My lovely, long-suffering wife joined me for this experiment to offer her input and keep my opinions honest. She is in agreement. Both lights are neutral (4000K). The HD 18650 was running on a single, unprotected AW 3000 mAh IMR cell. The Super was running on a pair of Keepower 3400 mAh protected cells. All batteries were fully charged at the time. In case anyone was wondering, eye sight is not an issue. I have excellent, uncorrected vision. :laughing::candle::nana:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of those Kroll caps would look mighty good on an older MD2 or Surefire. Of course, you'd have to match it with a M60 for nostalgia.

The older md2 got no tailcap, just the kroll switch installed directly into the tube :)
tmp_9089-DSC_0236-1518501389_zpsgcbfxnfw.jpg