Malkoff "Hound Dog"

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Sadly I have to announce an injury to a colleague tonight. I had my Hound Dog in my jacket pocket and somehow managed to bump the switch on. It must have sat there for a long time because I didn't notice until I out my hand in my pocket and felt the heat. It ran the batteries down completely and the heat actually melted and warped the plastic lens. I'm hoping the LED wasn't damaged :(

Doubtful any other damage other than the lens - remove the lens and test the light. I didn't melt mine but replaced it with a 43.41mm ULC lens.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly I have to announce an injury to a colleague tonight. I had my Hound Dog in my jacket pocket and somehow managed to bump the switch on. It must have sat there for a long time because I didn't notice until I out my hand in my pocket and felt the heat. It ran the batteries down completely and the heat actually melted and warped the plastic lens. I'm hoping the LED wasn't damaged :(

Sorry to hear it. That's why my Hound Dog is always loosened for low beam when it's in my jacket pocket. Gene does sell replacement lenses on the website. Should be an easy fix.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like to test for the low voltage flash without running the risk of damaging Li-Ion or IMR cells, then run the test with primaries instead.

I suppose my question has to do with the usefulness of the flash. If I'm using primaries, then I don't need a low voltage warning because I see the light dimming. I also don't fear damaging the cells. On the other hand, if I'm using IMR cells, then the flash comes too late. I've already over discharged them.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear it. That's why my Hound Dog is always loosened for low beam when it's in my jacket pocket. Gene does sell replacement lenses on the website. Should be an easy fix.

There is a $55 flat international shipping cost so I may need to order some other lights to justify the shipping cost :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I could always be wrong, but I am pretty sure that none of the HDs have low-voltage indication.

What I am thinking that too. I've never seen a Malkoff drop in, or a Hound Dog, or other Malkoff light advertised with a low voltage indicator, per se.

Bill

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I run IMR in almost everything now. I feel much safer with that chemistry, and no protection circuits to fail.

I recharge often, and have never run them down that low in years of doing this. Maybe people who routinely run the battery down to the protection shut off might not want to go this way, but I have no problem with it.

I don't need long run times in my normal daily use.

Ditto, and the newer INR chemistry is especially appealing.

This is also why I prefer the unregulated output of the HD 18650 and WC v.6 - the decline in output as voltage drops is subtle but I can still see it - and get the cells on the charger long before voltage drops to a critical point. Also, I like to keep the gas tank topped off. ;-)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I am thinking that too. I've never seen a Malkoff drop in, or a Hound Dog, or other Malkoff light advertised with a low voltage indicator, per se.

Bill

I could be wrong, but it is a nagging recollection, and I looked back in my post history and I said the same thing way back then. I don't think that I made it up.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran Malkoff Hound Dog in the 3x18650 configuration. The Neutral version, which is 100 lumens less bright than the "standard". On the wall, the neutral HD XML2 seemed to gain about 100 lumens, equaling and perhaps very slightly exceeding the 2x18650 "Standard" XML2 Hound Dog.

3x18650 Hound Dog, that is an interesting contraption.

dhunley1

Enlightened
I'm back in the Hound Dog club. Received the neutral 18650 yesterday and I like it a lot! Seems to be a bit warmer than the neutral XM-L2 that I had. Used it when walking my dog last night and the low mode was perfect for that. I can see this light getting a lot of use.

20171208_110405 by D Hunley, on Flickr

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'm back in the Hound Dog club. Received the neutral 18650 yesterday and I like it a lot! Seems to be a bit warmer than the neutral XM-L2 that I had. Used it when walking my dog last night and the low mode was perfect for that. I can see this light getting a lot of use.

It's such a capable light for so many outdoor purpose, it's tough not to like. Congrats on the purchase!

Nichia!

Banned
Malkoff "Hound Dog"

20171208_110405 by D Hunley, on Flickr
Can you please post a picture of LED inside?

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back in the Hound Dog club. Received the neutral 18650 yesterday and I like it a lot! Seems to be a bit warmer than the neutral XM-L2 that I had. Used it when walking my dog last night and the low mode was perfect for that. I can see this light getting a lot of use. 20171208_110405 by D Hunley, on Flickr

I'm always curious about serial numbers. In particular, why is it that only Hound Dogs have serial numbers etched into the head of the flashlight? Well, I don't have any of the smaller MDC variety, so I can't speak to that point. But none of my MDX heads have serial numbers.

My HD 18650 has serial number 0295. I purchased it in August of last year. What's on yours?

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
My neutral MDC 1CR123 has a serial number 4805.
My neutral Hound Dog 18650 is 0419
and my Hound Dog XM-L2 is 1248 which I got off of dhunley1 this past week :)

I'm always curious about serial numbers. In particular, why is it that only Hound Dogs have serial numbers etched into the head of the flashlight? Well, I don't have any of the smaller MDC variety, so I can't speak to that point. But none of my MDX heads have serial numbers.

My HD 18650 has serial number 0295. I purchased it in August of last year. What's on yours?

NH Lumens

Enlightened

malkoff-12.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neutral MDC 1CR123 has a serial number 4805.
My neutral Hound Dog 18650 is 0419
and my Hound Dog XM-L2 is 1248 which I got off of dhunley1 this past week :)

Oh, you're the lucky dog who got that deal from dhunley1. Nice catch. My Hound Dog XML has serial number 1293. Not quite litter mates, but maybe cousins?

My Hound Dog super is 0038. I tried to buy the Super as close to the release date as possible, but unfortunately I was not early enough to get single digits.

On the MDC, is the serial number on the head? Or the battery tube? I don't own one, so I can't compare.

Last edited:

Latest posts