Malkoff M60 & M30 Runtimes,etc

jbviau

Enlightened
I have no horse in this race, and no new info. to provide, but I hardly think Bill needs to boost his post count! Geez.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah yes of course then. I'm not an idiot. I am boosting the thread for a reason to see if there is updates. So before you start a flame fest to get your post ratings up some more I have done this obviously I found this thread. :cool:
You have posted 4 times in this thread and asked what has already been said. Now who's trying to boost post count?:rolleyes:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Last edited:

tundratrader

Enlightened
I just got the new AW 2600mah 18650 for my md2 with m60w. I charged it to 4.2 on Monday. I have over two hours worth of use and the light is just as bright as when I charged it. Furthermore I cannot tell a difference in brightness versus two primaries.

I also purchased an AW 17670 to use in my surefire C2 w m60. Same results there. Charged to 4.2v as well.

I am super pleased with this setup and also really like that if I need to I can throw primaries back in. I will try and take some pictures tonight of both of these lamps with primaries versus the single cells. Though I have a hard time staying awake past midnight. As well I will report on my runtimes as they become available. I am sure that running the light non stop to get run times wouldnt hurt it but I think that is unecessary on the cells and the lamp.

Zach

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I just got the new AW 2600mah 18650 for my md2 with m60w. I charged it to 4.2 on Monday. I have over two hours worth of use and the light is just as bright as when I charged it. Furthermore I cannot tell a difference in brightness versus two primaries.

I also purchased an AW 17670 to use in my surefire C2 w m60. Same results there. Charged to 4.2v as well.

I am super pleased with this setup and also really like that if I need to I can throw primaries back in. I will try and take some pictures tonight of both of these lamps with primaries versus the single cells. Though I have a hard time staying awake past midnight. As well I will report on my runtimes as they become available. I am sure that running the light non stop to get run times wouldnt hurt it but I think that is unecessary on the cells and the lamp.
:thumbsup:
I'm currently in the process of putting together a bored 6P / M60 / AW 2600 mah configuration. I even sold my M30 a few months ago. M60's on single large-capacity cells, pretty much my perfect configuration. As bigchelis' sigline says: simple, bright, efficient. With the emphasis on _efficient_, the initial output combined with the usable runtime of this setup is mind-boggling.:huh:

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zach

Great take pictures. I am interested in the setup. Trying to decide out between MD2, FiveMega or Leef bodies.

tundratrader

Enlightened
For using a single cell the MD2 with new 18650 is hard to beat. If I were just using a malkoff lamp that is what I would pick again. If I were going to use other lamps I would get one of the bored out complete C2 or C3's that are for sale.. The leef and FM are both incomplete and you will sink as much money on bezel and tailcap as the entire MD2 costs.
Zach

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some shuffling of my modules/lites. M30 gets assigned to the 3xAA FM body but it's pretty neat in the 9P body. The original M60 will eventually go to a 1x18650 body while the 12V M60 goes into the 2x18650 Leef body.
Anyway, I decided to go completely with 18650 in the Li-Ion aspect.

FM_18650.jpg

FiveMega 2x18650 + Malkoff M60 (a bit warm but not "W")

Real nice. I also have a similar Leef also with M60 but cannot really decide if I like Leef or FiveMega more.

Still need to get the new P-18650 cells from AW but the older 2200 mAh are very promising, I am not going to quantify it but it just keeps going and going. With the new higher capacity 2600 mAh, you should get over 19 W-h in this device, which is higher than with 4x123 primaries.

The runtime is great. It just keeps going and going.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
etc, I like your setup's. Nice and efficient, and look good too. You using an older SF twisty with your 2X18650 setup?

Bill

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will be happy I didn't start a new thread. However, I cannot find the post I am looking for in this or the other very similar thread.

I am buying myself a bored C2, a 2600 mah 18650, and a Malkoff in a few weeks to use as a duty light. I had wanted the M30 to get full regulation for over an hour. Then I remembered a post where someone did some type of test on the M60 and 18650. However, I cannot seem to find it.

I believe they said that the M60 ran at 100 % output for around and hour and a half before dropping out of regulation and gradually declining for a long, long time.

This also eases my mind because when working I can run across cr123 batteries easily if my 18650 got too low. However, if it is just constantly declining I want no part of it.

So, my question is, does the M60 run at near 100% output for around an hour? Someone said in a PM a long time ago they were planning to do a test. I haven't seen it pop up yet so I'm curious if it's out there.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen what you are talking about and I'm looking for the post right now.

I believe your assumption is quite correct!

In the first post of this thread, it is mentioned that there is possibly 1.5 hours of regulated usage with the M60 and one 2200mAh 18650.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen what you are talking about and I'm looking for the post right now.

I believe your assumption is quite correct!

In the first post of this thread, it is mentioned that there is possibly 1.5 hours of regulated usage with the M60 and one 2200mAh 18650.

Crap. I got to this thread from a link on another thread talking about the 17650 and M60. It said they started talking about the M60/18650 combo at post 114. I never even looked at anything before page 4.

Well, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm not quite sure why anyone would even want the M30 now.

If you get the same regulated output with the M60 as the M30, but with a longer runtime (gradually declining after an hour and a half) but have the ability to use other batteries, then it's case closed.

I'll be ordering the M60. Thanks for showing me the obvious :nana:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I agree.

However, the attraction to the M30 is the slightly higher output :thumbsup:

:)

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I agree.

However, the atraction to the M30 is the slightly higher output :thumbsup:

:)

Hmm, how much higher. They are both rated at 235. Either way, I wouldn't care if the difference was 50 lumens. My eye wont see enough difference to care.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't even that much :laughing: :)

Taken from post #1

Lightbox:
M60 = 3300 lux
M30 = 4190 lux

But that may mean a lot to some flashaholics... Myself included :whistle:

:D

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some searching for a reference lux number and found that on two different occasions the E2DL was rated at 6 thousand something lux and 9 thousand something lux.

Not sure how they are so different, but even going with the 6xxx lux number, with the M60 being at half of that, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

That's a pretty big difference.

I wish there were good beamshots of the M60 outdoors to get a feel for it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at my beamshots :thumbsup:

There is an E2DL, LX2 and M30, M60 & M60W :)

Also, unless the lights are rated in the same environment, it doesn't really mean anything.

One persons light box may have holes in it, or be made of a different material :thumbsup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot you had those. I saved the M60/18650 and E2DL outdoor to my desktop, turnout all of the lights out, and opened them both up in a slide show. That way the background was black and the only light was coming from the pictures.

I like the M60/18650 the best. I seems as though the bush was slightly more lit up with the E2DL. However, the M60 was not far behind by any means. Plus, the trees behind the fence were lit up which is very important.

I wanted my light to have decent throw, but have plenty of spill. A perfect mix. I think the M60/18650 does this very well. Plus the performance with the 18650 is great.

I've found a winner.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lights that are running M60's are some of my favorites!

You honestly can't go wrong with them!

I have future plans for a few more M60's one or two will be the Warm option :devil:

Probably two :D