Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 4)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Does anyone else have this problem? Its driving me insane. My regular aaa works flawlessly, but if I put the regular head on the copper body, I have the same issue of it skipping modes (or not changing modes at all).

Did you clean the threads good with alcohol? Mine had the same issue at first but after I cleaned it the copper version is behaving perfectly.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look cool, I love the copper ones. I wish they'd ship overseas. :(

rumack

Enlightened
What's the consensus on the operation of the copper model? Does it seem to be a manufacturing issue or is it just a matter of clean and lube? They look sweet but I have no interest if it is just going to be annoying to use.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the consensus on the operation of the copper model? Does it seem to be a manufacturing issue or is it just a matter of clean and lube? They look sweet but I have no interest if it is just going to be annoying to use.

I'll just say this: copper loves heat and it retains it pretty well,unless you blow on it the north wind :p ;)

Nebuchadnezzar

Newly Enlightened

I cleaned and lubed my first one, aside from needing to wipe some excess lube off the contact it works perfectly.

My very picky wife opened hers I tossed a battery in it and it's worked flawlessly without a gripe from her.

I've got three and they are great little lights.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
mine seems to be working much better now as well. its not 100%, but it is definitely acceptable.

its a great light, it looks different each day due to the patina.

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my Maratac for about two weeks now, and it has replaced the Fenix E01 on my neck lanyard for everyday, 360 days a year, every waking moment EDC. At least for now. Time will tell. I really hope it is as dependable as the E01. I tried the Liteflux LF2 several years ago. It worked for a week. The second one went for two weeks. I finally lost patience with the long shipping times back and forth to Hong Kong, and went back to my trusty Fenix. The obvious benefit with the LF2 or Maratac is the option for brighter light when you need it. In my case, 9 times out of 10 the low power is sufficient, even preferable. But when you do need more lumens, how nice it is to have the option!

The lower output of the Maratac on low vs the E01 is offset by the tighter beam of the Maratac. You just have to aim it a little better, that's all. Amazing how much control you have with a little flashlight in your teeth. (just wrap a few turns of fabric tape around the bite area to save your chompers)

I have just one gripe. And I see that it is shared by many others: I want low level light with one twist, not two! For me, the present setup requires two twists instead of one ninety percent of the time. That also means that the incredible runtime on low is significantly reduced by the short duration of medium level nine out of ten times I use the flashlight! Call me obsessive/compulsive, but I hate wasting the light I don't need! Please, Maratac, if you are reading this, and for the sake of all those who share this view, Please, make the flashlight with a LMH control sequence!! :wave:

ps: After posting this, I called countycomm.com and they told me the copper version is already LMH, and their next run of aluminum and stainless lites will be LMH. If I missed this information in previous posts, please excuse.

Last edited:

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just one gripe. And I see that it is shared by many others: I want low level light with one twist, not two! For me, the present setup requires two twists instead of one ninety percent of the time. That also means that the incredible runtime on low is significantly reduced by the short duration of medium level nine out of ten times I use the flashlight! Call me obsessive/compulsive, but I hate wasting the light I don't need! Please, Maratac, if you are reading this, and for the sake of all those who share this view, Please, make the flashlight with a LMH control sequence!! :wave:

They did on the Maratac AAA Cu and AA series...

I've just received a couple of Maratacs Cu today and they are a beauty.
The beam is a bit tighter than the SS and Al versions and the output is also lower
(naked eye, not measured).

Copper leaves a distinctive smell in the hand that may not be pleasant for some.
Anyway, after trying the four versions of this miniature flashlight I prefer the SS and that will continue in my pocket ...
As for the reliable operation of the Cu I have to say that in the first few minutes the mode change was so erratic but
after cleaning the contacts with a little deoxit operation is perfect now.

gunga

Flashaholic
ps: After posting this, I called countycomm.com and they told me the copper version is already LMH, and their next run of aluminum and stainless lites will be LMH. If I missed this information in previous posts, please excuse.

Nice, did they mention anything about nuetral tint or XP-G?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think that they've decided against the XP-G for the time being, in order to keep the price down. Early on they were having trouble sourcing the XP-G but it would be a nice upgrade in the future if price and availability allow.

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
Gunga, no mention of tints. He did say that the stainless and aluminum lights will be in the same production run, and that might occur in the fall(ish).

fyrstormer

Banned
Does anyone else have this problem? Its driving me insane. My regular aaa works flawlessly, but if I put the regular head on the copper body, I have the same issue of it skipping modes (or not changing modes at all).
Mine did this for a while after I washed it. I left the head sitting on a halogen desk lamp overnight to dry out any moisture inside, and it's worked fine ever since.

The threads are not part of the conductive path, so it doesn't matter electrically if they're dirty.

sabre7

Enlightened
Removing the spring and cleaning off any shmutz in the tube underneath it with alcohol or DeOxyit on a cotton swab seems to also help improve contact and operation.

Latest posts