Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoc

Newly Enlightened
I ordered two of these last week...one nat and one black. Everything else I ordered last week (and the Maratac AAA's were the earliest placed) came in today...except of course the Maratac AAA's. County Com inspite of their higher than usual shipping costs really has not one of the shorter shipping times. They do have a lot of useful and good products but the shipping take some longer than it should....not horribly longer but long enough...especially when you want to play with a new toy. Anyways, anyone who gets theirs soonest please play with it right away and do post your impressions. Thanks.

Marco

BWatts

Newly Enlightened
A friend and I were thinking of ordering this light this last weekend. I was a little skeptical of the on/off AND mode switching being controlled via twisting, as my previous mode-switching experience has been twist while the on/off has been tail clicky. I too will eagerly be awaiting feedback from anyone that just got one and has a chance to play with it a bit!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered three for my groomsmen gifts. I had been considering other AAA lights and this one just hits the mark with a clip and the three well spaced modes in a useable order. I know the guys will love them.

Problem is, if I get them and the boxes are sealed, I won't be able to try them out.:mecry:

guess I should have gotten four

gorn

Enlightened
County Com inspite of their higher than usual shipping costs really has not one of the shorter shipping times.

Marco

Yeah, I was real upset when the extra dollar or two the shipping cost me when I ordered the Maratac 9290 last week took a whole day and a half to arrive at my house.

marcoc

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gorn...they do take more than a week to ship to the east coast. They can do it cheaper and faster if they went USPS...but they have their own reasons for doing it the way they do it...as you do have your reasons for your last post.

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD01: 7.35 cm x 1.4 cm

Maratac AAA Q5: 6.858 cm x 1.27 cm

Slightly larger than the old Fenix E0 Dart AAA: 6.75 cm x 1.2 cm

hey sabre:

thanks, looks like i'll be placing an order this week after i get paid. i don't mind the shipping charge cause i normally get it the next day (i work in a town next to countycomm). :whistle:

gorn

Enlightened
Hey Gorn...they do take more than a week to ship to the east coast. They can do it cheaper and faster if they went USPS...but they have their own reasons for doing it the way they do it...as you do have your reasons for your last post.

So true. I don't order things from the east coast and expect them to get here in a week, I didn't even expect my order from county com to get here in a day and a half. I have no idea why they only ship UPS and don't use USPS. Maybe they like the UPS tracking better, who knows.

I would like to see lower shipping costs but for $8 I couldn't drive there. In my opinion it's not that much more expensive then most shipping. Not enough to keep me away as a customer. If the shipping is out of line they don't get my business.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did check though since you got your other orders, but not the lights, that they were in fact shipping. Yes, they are in fact shipping, so hopefully you'll have your lights soon. I'm really hoping these turn out to be decent, if not great, lights.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
My order is scheduled to arrive this Friday (17th) and that is my off day from work so I am ok with the week long wait.

Does anyone know where we have seen these lights before. I really thought I had seen this light in the past under a different name. I have searched all of the AAA search threads I can find and can not seem to find where I have seen it before. I was hoping to stumble across a few extra photos or even some user impressions. If I remember correct CC usually gets products in bulk or even from other companies that have overstock. Their purchase prices must be lower allowing them to offer some great deals from time to time. If this is correct, from what I remember, these lights could be made under several other names.

CountyComm has good prices and pretty much always has some sort of gadget I want to buy. The shipping is a little off however when compared to others however the total seems to balance out in the end. I have found UPS to be much slower regardless of where I buy from so the wait for me was expected.

wrencher

Newly Enlightened
Over the the years I have come to expect great products from Countycomm and Maratac. The SAR watch and the Zulu watch straps to name a few. The new AAA light is great product too. I recieved the light today. Packaging is not what I want to pay for. Clear plastic bag with 2 spair o-rings and a busness card size instruction card. The light itself I'm impressed with. Fit and finish are top marks. Pocket clip is reversable. The UI is easy to use. Output is nuteral on my light. Beam is smooth with strong spot and weeker spill. Twist action is smooth. Battery chamber has a spring in bottem making positive contact. Switching is done battery tube contacting a contact ringin the head. I like it. Well worth the cost.

Jeff

ps please excuse the format and spelling. Just a few random thoughts.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for your comments, wrencher. Quick question, how would you describe the low level? Too low? Still too high?

Thanks

Geoff

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Over the the years I have come to expect great products from Countycomm and Maratac. The SAR watch and the Zulu watch straps to name a few. The new AAA light is great product too. I recieved the light today. Packaging is not what I want to pay for. Clear plastic bag with 2 spair o-rings and a busness card size instruction card. The light itself I'm impressed with. Fit and finish are top marks. Pocket clip is reversable. The UI is easy to use. Output is nuteral on my light. Beam is smooth with strong spot and weeker spill. Twist action is smooth. Battery chamber has a spring in bottem making positive contact. Switching is done battery tube contacting a contact ringin the head. I like it. Well worth the cost.

Jeff

Cool. I also don't care abou packaging just a good product. Anyone know anything about regulation of this light. Guessing it would work best with lithiums or NiMH but hope to learn more before spending my hard earned money. Have a few 1XAAA lights but there allways seem room for one more. Held off on the new Fenix as the low seemed a bit too high. Maybe this is the ticket.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great to hear ALL of that stuff. Looks like this might be the new bang for your buck champ especially in the AAA class. Thanks a LOT for your input.

Last edited:

ErnestS

Newly Enlightened
How's the lanyard/keychain attachment? Is it integrated into the body, or is it a wire/plastic clip?

Given its small size, I wanted to see if it is keychain-friendly. Thanks!

BWatts

Newly Enlightened
Wrencher:

Thanks for the details about the light; you answered several of the questions I would've had. One other thing I was wondering, though. Since the on/off and mode switcher both seem to be by twisting the front, I assume there is no memory of what mode you left the light in last when you turn it on again? Is it annoying to have to cycle through each mode when you turn it on to find the one you want or not so much?

Thanks!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jeff

Can we get some real world pics? Do you think the output levels match the claims? Mine isn't scheduled to arrive till next Tuesday :( Bleh I hate waiting.... Looks like it would be a great neck-wear light too....

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard back regarding whether or not they are willing to do a discounted group buy for CPF?

Does the light appear to be water resistant (o-ring sealed)? Does anyone know where these are made (country)?

-Robert

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it wider/thicker than the LOD ,how do the high levels compare

Status
Not open for further replies.