Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your impressions.

This light seems to have the best of all aaa lights and then some.

1. small size suitable for keychain and wallet carry (for me)

2. low price

3. Enough modes for different needs

3. A good balance between power and battery life.

4. comes with clip and lanyard attachment.

5. can tail stand.

There is not another aaa light with all these features.

Still debating whether I should get 1 or 2.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize as I've asked this question before, but I'm itching to pull the trigger based on the reviews coming in. Is there any noticable PWM on low? Thanks.

Sorry I meant to answer you in my initial comments, but I forgot. Low and Med use PWM, but in normal use I could not see any, but I'm not the most sensitive to it. In a fan test I could see it, I could not judge the frequency but it seemed pretty high.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Has anybody determined (on the off-chance) if the head might be thread-compatible with the LD01? (Thinking along the lines of a Maratac / 2xAAA Streamlight Stylus Pro combo, similar to the FenixStream).

That low level sounds nice, much better than the LD01 low.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter is not XR-E, but XP-E (although I'm no expert in emitter ID). I just check one sample and the tint was noticeably cooler than my LD01-SS, but not ugly, and quite acceptable to me. Instruction sheet says it's XR-E, but mine can't be XR-E.

Can anybody else verify the use of an XP-E?

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
I would really like to try one of these neat little flashlights, but since I live in Canada I might be out of luck.:( Anyone in the USA willing to forward one to a fellow cpfer up north?:)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter is not XR-E, but XP-E (although I'm no expert in emitter ID). I just check one sample and the tint was noticeably cooler than my LD01-SS, but not ugly, and quite acceptable to me. Instruction sheet says it's XR-E, but mine can't be XR-E.

If there's a metal ring around the emitter then it's an XR-E. The flashlight specs say it's an XR-E, why do you doubt that?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there's a metal ring around the emitter then it's an XR-E. The flashlight specs say it's an XR-E, why do you doubt that?

Basically because there is no metal-ring around the emitter and they look like XP-E, rather than XR-E. I'll just leave positive identification to the experts.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very helpful comments and observations. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Looks like a winner.

Received my package also today and let me say I wish I had bought 2 of them now. This is also one of the smallest AAA lights I own and I have probably 40 others in various styles.

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how they did it and can not figure it out.....the light is exactly 1/4th of an inch shorter than my LOD. Both have reflectors and tail springs with both also twisty activated. Maratac must have figured a way to make the circuit thinner as the reflectors between the LOD and Maratac look about the same depth.

The 3 levels on mine very closely match the LOD with the exception of low. The LOD is about twice as bright on low than the Maratac. The Maratac seems to be about half as bright on low as my E01....so their lumen claims must be close to what they claim. Very good product for the cost and a nice addition to my AAA collection.

Haz

Enlightened
the small form factor itself is amazing giving that it's even shorter than the ArcAAA and able to produce multiple levels of output. As far as edc keychain AAA lights, size is really a crucial element, some bigger AAA lights may be good to hold in the hand, but will be a too bit bulky in the pocket and on the keychain

Dan FO

Enlightened
The XP-E would seem to be an excellent choice for an AAA light as it could use a shorter reflector and have no rings.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grrrr!

I'm in for 2 naturals and 1 black...
:broke::broke::broke:

HKJ, you will probably want to get in on this one since you are a lover of little lights too!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
The first thing I noticed about mine was the very small emitter looked nothing at all like the Cree emitters I have on other lights. This light uses some form of very small emitter similiar to the Rebel.

After searching through some threads it does appear that this light indeed uses the XPE however I know nothing about emitters. I am basing my information on looks alone as the thread linked below looks just like the emitter in my light. From reading about this emitter it seems as if it is a decent performer with less artifacts or rings in the beam. My sample has no rings and a very vivid transformation between hotspot and corona....I actually like it very much..... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=196155

The size of this light still amazes me and yes I have already placed my second order as I simply must have another of these. Something tells me they will not last long on County Comm so get them while you can. Still trying to figure out how it can be smaller (shorter) than an Arc AAA and have a multi level circuit, reflector, and tail spring.....and for 21 dollars.

I may be wrong however the reflector looks to me to be the same depth as my LOD. I cant figure out where they got 1/4th of an inch from however the beam throws just as well as the LOD. When placed side by side about 3 feet apart and shined on a wall the Maratac beam circle is about 20 percent larger than my LOD beam profile.

sabre7

Enlightened
Still trying to figure out how it can be smaller (shorter) than an Arc AAA and have a multi level circuit, reflector, and tail spring.....and for 21 dollars.

1 unit is $21.75 + $8.00 shipping = $29.75. The $8.00 shipping fee is nearly 37% of the low $21.75 price. Fortunately, many here will buy more than one, which will lower the individual unit total cost, or find the $29.75 a reasonable price.

Dan FO

Enlightened
If this light was $29.95 with free shipping, would anybody be complaining?

MKLight

Enlightened
If this light was $29.95 with free shipping, would anybody be complaining?

Lol...plus as others have mentioned, you can always pick up some other interesting stuff at good stuff at good prices from CC. They mentioned the reason they ship UPS is they chose one route for ease of shipping for them. They didn't want the hassle of utilizing other shipping methods. As many, I would prefer another carrier, since if you live across the country, you don't have an option to get quicker service (CC doesn't offer overnight, 2, or 3 day service) and UPS cross country is slow compared with USPS or FedEx (ground service with FedEx is usually at least 1 day shorter and significantly cheaper than UPS...10-30% less)

Back on topic and most importantly I'm looking forward to getting my twins (1black, 1natural), plus some other stuff, too.

Best of luck to all! :twothumbs

Rexlion

Enlightened
I couldn't resist any longer, ordered one of each finish. Every time I looked at the pictures of the natural finish with all of its knurling and shapeliness, I kept having a Homer Simpson/donuts moment. "Mmmmm..... flashlight." :laughing:

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting for mine. I wonder if County Comm had any idea how popular these lights would be? I wouldn't be surprised to find them sold out soon.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I haven't bought a new flashlight in a long time, but I've been looking for a new keychain light for a while. Came across this thread last night (after I had already ordered an Arc AAA Premium). Now I have the Arc and 2 Maratacs (1 black, 1 natural) on their way to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.