Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one of each color, and let one of my friends pick which color he wanted (he took the black) and gave the natural to another friend. As that second friend just joined the Peace Corps, I wanted her to have an EDC light that takes a readily available cell (and since she'll have a battery charger she can use NiMH AAAs, too) and provides useful light. I think the three light levels will be useful to her, as one doesn't always need a retina burner nor does normal keychain brightness really always do the job.

The first friend really enjoys his-- I may have to break down and order myself one now that I know how awesome they really are.

Neill_Currie

Newly Enlightened
Hi
A couple of people have mentioned that they would try 10440 cells in their Maratac AAA's when they got them, but I see no reports of their ability to run on 10440's.
Has anyone tried it yet?? If so, how was the brightness, throw, beam color, runtime etc??

10440 capability is the only thing holding me back from ordering, though I'll probably weaken and order regardless ;-)
==========================
==========================
Edit: update.... just called CountyComm and asked. It takes a cell up to 3.6v (so 10440 cells work fine), and you get extra brightness out the front.

Edit: so I ordered one, natural finish (they currently have both finishes in stock they said).

Last edited:

marven

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Edit: update.... just called CountyComm and asked. It takes a cell up to 3.6v (so 10440 cells work fine), and you get extra brightness out the front.
That's another great reason for purchasing this little beauty!
Thanks Neill_Currie for this info.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today. This is an outstanding light. A sure winner. I am 99% sure its PWM and not current regulated but thats' not a big deal considering the price point. Now to get some lithium triple AAAs' and enjoy longer runtimes....

I don't think the output levels are what they claim to be, which is unfortunate, but there are still very useful. The main level is supposed to be 18 lumens but my LX2s' low which is 15 lumens blows it away - by alot. I realize the LX2 is sporting "Surefire lumens", but its a huge difference.

I love the combo pocket clip keyring setup - other manufacturers take note. This little light is making me rethink my EDC setup. I'm going to definetly see how this performs to see if this will get a permanent home in my front left pocket.

I hope they keep making and selling these cuz I just found Christmas presents! This is definetly going to be a hit here at CPF!

Heres' an emitter shot:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a strong connection or could it weaken over time.

A strong Key chain attachment is a must for me.

It appears to be of decent strenghth, looks like it would take alot to break it or pull it off the light. Hope that helps a little.

I think I may have to order a bunch of these in bulk and sell them at work!

marcoc

Newly Enlightened
"It sounds like the keyring attachment and pocket clip are the same unit, correct?"

The key ring and the clip are separate. You can take out the clip and retain the key ring or do otherwise. The key ring ends can be some sharp....nothing major though and nothing a file can't remedy.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I probably missed where someone mentioned it, but how are the tints? Especially from someone who ordered multiple units.

mxrider32

Newly Enlightened
I got mine yesterday and it is an awesome light! I will probably end up getting more.

A few points:

It looks great in the natural finish. I really like the look of this light in general. The knurling is decent. The size of this thing is amazing. Even though it is so short i don't have a problem operating it with one hand.

The beam pattern is nice and smooth no dark spots or anything. The tint on mine is just a little bit purplish. I am using eneloops and it is nice and bright. On high I would say it is close to the brightness of my L2D Q5 on medium. The low is pretty good too but it could probably have gone lower.

I already broke the lanyard clip. I popped it off fine but when i was trying to put it back on it snapped at one of the bends. So just be careful not to put too much stress on the clip when your messing around with it. The pocket clip is decent. Seems like it will keep the light in your pocket. It can be removed and put back on without much trouble.

Overall I really like this light and it is going to get a lot of use. For the price I don't think it can be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.