MBI #3 - Codename: HF

amspratt

Newly Enlightened
How would you describe the low on the 5 mode light? Is it a true moonlight, something that wouldn't draw attention in a dark theater for example? I love my 3 mode, but have found myself in situations where the low is just a little too much.

NowIC

Enlightened
I've been debating getting the 5-mode but I've had a problem with my 3-mode turning on in my coin pocket. With 2 more mode positions added to the 360 degrees of rotation available, I'm concerned my mode of carry will end up accidentally activating it even more than with the 3-mode. Does anyone have any input on the 5-mode such as perhaps more torque required to activate or something like that?

Last edited:

th8tredude

Enlightened
The two 5-mode switches I have both require significantly more torque to turn than any of my 3-mode's. I don't know if this is true for all, but it definitely is for mine.
As far as the low, it's significantly lower, probably good for what you are looking for.

AdamB

Newly Enlightened
I haven't compared them side by side, but I'd say the low on the 5 mode is slightly lower than the 3 mode, but still brighter than what I'd consider a true moonlight mode.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you describe the low on the 5 mode light? Is it a true moonlight, something that wouldn't draw attention in a dark theater for example? I love my 3 mode, but have found myself in situations where the low is just a little too much.
Hi amspratt,

The low on the 5mode is significantly lower than the 3mode.
In daylight, it's often hard to notice that it's on without looking directly into the head or shining it into your had at a very close distance (a few cm). I think it should be fine for a movie theater.

I've been debating getting the 5-mode but I've had a problem with my 3-mode turning on in my coin pocket. With 2 more mode positions added to the 360 degrees of rotation available, I'm concerned my mode of carry will end up accidentally activating it even more than with the 3-mode. Does anyone have any input on the 5-mode such as perhaps more torque required to activate or something like that?

Hi NowIC,

For the 5modes, I have opted to make them a little tighter (though there is a little variance between each) in general than the 3modes as the position of each mode is just slightly shorter but the off position is the same distance apart (from memory) as the 3modes. I do also have some extra firm switches for folks who like to pocket carry so you could send me a message during order to request that option too.

One note worth mentioning (thanks to testing/hacking by a tribal member) is rounding off the corner of the lanyard attachment, seems to significantly reduce the number of pocket-on's. For future batches, I'll opt to making that part a rounded finish.

The two 5-mode switches I have both require significantly more torque to turn than any of my 3-mode's. I don't know if this is true for all, but it definitely is for mine.
As far as the low, it's significantly lower, probably good for what you are looking for.
Thanks th8tredude :thumbsup:

I haven't compared them side by side, but I'd say the low on the 5 mode is slightly lower than the 3 mode, but still brighter than what I'd consider a true moonlight mode.
Thanks AdamB,

You are right :) It's brighter than perhaps a true moonlight mode, but very much in the "low" enough level for many uses.

Tgwnn

NowIC

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just placed my order.

Guy - I included a note with my order requesting one of your extra firm switches, but I neglected to ask if you had any extra firm switches in the STT tail version. It would be a good way to distinguish it from my 3-mode. If you have any in the STT tail, I'd love to have one, but if not I'm happy to get it in the UTT version. I'll e-mail you a message too. Thanks.

johngilmour

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide on copper vs Ti for HF-R. Does the copper allow for longer run time?

And if I were to say grab an ice cube and hold it to the side of a copper or ti light could I use the high mode until the ice cube melted completely? Or use snow as I do go north quite a bit.

how waterproof are these. Could I go 12 meters underwater with one without them flooding?

wrdogg22

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guy, any clue when there will be a restock on the HF-R Ti? UTT or STT? Happy Holidays.

NowIC

Enlightened
I received my new HFR with the extra-firm STT 5-mode tail. The firmness is great and I've had no issues with accidental activations in my coin pocket. I like the set up of the switch better than my old 3-mode too. But what really stunned me is how much brighter it is. I've been carrying my old one everyday for what must be years now, and use it almost everyday. I've used it on high for much longer than the recommended duration many times, so I guess the output degraded over time and use. Even though I expected a small amount of loss from my old one, and also expected the new emitter to be a little better, I certainly didn't expect this much. I'm surprised and excited about how many more lumens I now have at my disposal. I debated getting the new version for quite some time, and I'm really happy with the decision. Thanks Guy. I love getting packages from you.

wrdogg22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Hopefully Guy will be getting some new stock soon! I know he's understandbly busy with...things.

wrdogg22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I would like the STT installed if possible. I heard from Guy...he's back up which I understand. Sorry for the repeat posts on this.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for the posts and sorry I was MIA for a while.
Totally overloaded on all fronts.... (especially dayjob stuff).

Trying to decide on copper vs Ti for HF-R. Does the copper allow for longer run time?

And if I were to say grab an ice cube and hold it to the side of a copper or ti light could I use the high mode until the ice cube melted completely? Or use snow as I do go north quite a bit.

how waterproof are these. Could I go 12 meters underwater with one without them flooding?

Hi johngilmour,

Runtime is very much the same for both copper/ti.
In theory, you could probably use high until the cube melted especially in cold weather but the battery also heats up quite a bit so without testing and having specific controlled conditions, for safety, even in extreme cold, it's safer to limit use on high to 30 seconds.
After two 30 second bursts, the battery should be lower enough in voltage to increase that a little.

Not sure about 12m underwater. A brief dunk would probably be ok but anything longer and there is potential for water to very slowly seep in over the o'rings, again untested. I doubt it would be flooded but seepage could happen.

Hey Guy, any clue when there will be a restock on the HF-R Ti? UTT or STT? Happy Holidays.
Hi wrdogg22,

Thanks so much for your posts and patience.
Replied to your mail a short time ago :)

I know there are some UTT's in stock at illumn.com, along with Ti chargers if my memory serves me. Cool white XM-L2 and Nichia 219B.
Thanks th8tredude ;)

I received my new HFR with the extra-firm STT 5-mode tail. The firmness is great and I've had no issues with accidental activations in my coin pocket. I like the set up of the switch better than my old 3-mode too. But what really stunned me is how much brighter it is. I've been carrying my old one everyday for what must be years now, and use it almost everyday. I've used it on high for much longer than the recommended duration many times, so I guess the output degraded over time and use. Even though I expected a small amount of loss from my old one, and also expected the new emitter to be a little better, I certainly didn't expect this much. I'm surprised and excited about how many more lumens I now have at my disposal. I debated getting the new version for quite some time, and I'm really happy with the decision. Thanks Guy. I love getting packages from you.
Hi NowIC,

Thanks so much for sharing and I'm very pleased you are enjoying your newest addition :thumbsup:

Thanks Newguy2012 ;)

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

Something new....

Finally, the first batch of end-caps to complete a spare battery holder landed!

Just a few quick pics...

Below: End Caps (Top/Bottom) picture on right.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-08%20at%203.41.20%20PM_zpsm3x285l9.png

Below: 10250 sized battery holders (Copper / Titanium)
Screen%20Shot%202016-02-08%20at%203.41.12%20PM_zpsnzf7kf5x.png

Below: 10250 sized battery holders (Copper / Titanium)
Screen%20Shot%202016-02-08%20at%203.41.27%20PM_zps62t4zl0u.png

These will work with any of the HF/HF-R series bodies (10250/10440) to give you a keychain-able battery holder in either Ti or Cu.

I'll make the End Caps available as a set on their own (without the 10250/10440 body), as well as a limited number of sets with a choice of either 10250/10440 body.

Hope to have them available on my website soon.

The batch of mom-switches (copper/ti), need some minor adjustment before release so looking like they'll be on hold till next month.

Tgwnn

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Nice, I've waiting forever for aaa battery holder. The 10440 holder will fit one aaa battery right?