MD 1 vs Five Mega 3P ...any thoughts?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: MD 1 vs Five Mega P3 ...any thoughts?

You can buy battery sleeves to eliminate rattle - I've used one for AAs in a G3 host, and I believe there's one for a CR123 in an 18650 host as well.

I saw that oveready had sleeves but they were kinda expensive. If the contact was intermittent etc etc might get some but works great so far. If anyone knows of a more inexpensive field solution would like to know as sometimes run 4XAA (m61/91 NOT M31) and in that case can get a flicker during heavy activities.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

PowerTac has some sleeves for 2 and 3 cell applications for like $4. I bought several for use as quick change magazines.

Now the FM setup I have has been tested thouroughly to determine whether to cut the length off a 2 cell one, but it has never flinched without one.... using primaries that is.

The test was to wrap it in black tape to protect the finish from blemishes and stick it in a clothes dryer at a laundramat for 15 minutes. (No heat setting btw).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

PowerTac has some sleeves for 2 and 3 cell applications for like $4. I bought several for use as quick change magazines.

Now the FM setup I have has been tested thouroughly to determine whether to cut the length off a 2 cell one, but it has never flinched without one.... using primaries that is.

The test was to wrap it in black tape to protect the finish from blemishes and stick it in a clothes dryer at a laundramat for 15 minutes. (No heat setting btw).

They have this:

http://powertacusa.com/accessories/batteries?product_id=267

Have you tested the 3XCR123 with 2XAA?

Thanks for the info.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw that oveready had sleeves but they were kinda expensive. If the contact was intermittent etc etc might get some but works great so far. If anyone knows of a more inexpensive field solution would like to know as sometimes run 4XAA (m61/91 NOT M31) and in that case can get a flicker during heavy activities.

Well, yes - but it also depends on how heavily invested you are in tweaking out your light. At one point, I bought a hand-made titanium grip ring/roll block for my flashlight, so I may not be the most reasonable judge of accessory spending. :D

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I'm aware I shouldn't use rechargeable Li-ion cells with the M31W.

So if I understand correctly the issue, if any, when using 123 primaries in the FiveMega 3P is only with the width, correct? I could probably just wrap a thin piece of cardboard or paper around the cell to prevent rattle.

Length of the primary cells is not an issue in the FiveMega 3P set up?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes. I used to use a portion of a matchbook slightly over sized on the inside and wrapped in tape. Slides over the battery easily and stays put pretty well.

WW I have not tried 2aa's in any of my 3 cell lights. But I do have a few Malkoff'd Rayovac indestructables. They have M31L's due to the rubber head being a lousy heat sink.
I also did a half sized SolarForce L2M with a 300 lumen Rayovac Indestructable emitter. Super light weight little deal with a nice 30 (iirc) lumen low. That too took an o-ring for proper contact. Actually the Scout head adapter ring from Malkoff was used in that one.

The FM and Solar Force

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd have loved to have been there and seen the faces on the other customers when you got the light out
"NUTTER" comes to mind.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way, there's some nice OT Anachic threads running at the moment, some of the participants are similar. what does that tell us?
Just when I was getting bored - thanks guys.
P

badbs101

Newly Enlightened

Just realized I named the thread with P3; should have been 3P obviously. Anyone know how to edit the title?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit first post, go to Advanced. At the top you can change the title Then do the same with your last and it will carry on .
P

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem is that some of their torches list the letter first (G2) and some list the number first (6P).

At least that's the problem for me. :confused:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

At one point, I bought a hand-made titanium grip ring/roll block for my flashlight, so I may not be the most reasonable judge of accessory spending. :D

Ha!! I've still got a few of these.

Regarding this thread, I'd also prefer the FiveMega version, since I'd probably end up running a McClickied Z41 or Triad. I would likely run a low powered Malkoff in it, so the lack of a high/low ring wouldn't be too bif of a loss.

Let us know how you like it...I haven't picked up any of his stuff yet.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I ended up with the Fivemega version with SureFire head and tailcap with McClicky installed. I threw in a Malkoff M31W and it looks great.

It's my new favorite toy.

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN16911.JPG

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3P size is awesome, no wonder most of the custom lights out there are using the 1x18350 format.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
When I ordered the 3P body from Fivemega's nitemods site, he had 5 in stock. I just looked today and he's got one left. I wonder if this thread started a mini buying spree? :grin2:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope so - I love the platform, and I'm glad to see it's getting some attention.

Latest posts