MD 1 vs Five Mega 3P ...any thoughts?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MD 1 vs Five Mega P3 ...any thoughts?

I have an old zero rez twisty so it is the non-low profile one that's out of production. I use it with a bored Surefire 6P and an 18650. I've been thinking about picking up a zero rez shorty but I'm not sure what host to use it with unless I buy a spacer. On the 6P and I would imagine the Malkoffs you can twist the head for on/off. It would be awesome with a high/low ring, perfect light really only it's hard to find a tail cap that will fit.
Really? Could never find a tail cap that fit right with the Malkoff. Maybe you know something I don't.
This'll help...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403963-ZeroRez-switches-and-Malkoff-Lights
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MD 1 vs Five Mega P3 ...any thoughts?

I remember wondering about that when they came out.
I originally thought that they were like a very short extension tube, but if I'm not mistaken they just stop you doing the tailcap up so far. If that's the case they'd probably do the job with a ZeroRez.
Thanks for the reminder.
P

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
3P or 3P clone vs MD1 for me depends on the usage.

I like the 3P bodies for "backup" lights stored in vehicles or BOB, along with 6P extension tubes so I can use 1xCR123, 2xAA or 1xAA (w/dummy) in them with an M31 variant dropin and a Z41 for ultimate durability.

For a carry light, my choice would be the MD1 with a Tricap and M61 variant so I can use 18350 Li-Ion cells and a hi-lo ring. I use the low mode a lot and it greatly improves runtimes, but still offers the ability to light something up with a twist of the head. If left in high mode, it is ready for tactical use with CCW as well.

I am sorry, but all this MD1.5 to MD1 stuff does not make sense whatsoever. You saving tiny amounts of space with vastly reduced capacity.

I see what you're getting at, but an MD2 is just too large for daily pocket carry for me, but the MD1 isn't, and the difference isn't "tiny" to me. You have to draw your own line somewhere for what is acceptable. What makes sense to you and your uses may not be what makes sense to others. As far as capacity goes, I always have larger backup lights available, just not in my pocket. If I was carrying with a pouch/holster, I would totally agree with you.

Do you feel the same about people who carry an HDS? At least the MD1 and MD1.5 have better capacity with 18mm cells.

Last edited: