MD 1 vs Five Mega 3P ...any thoughts?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MD 1 vs Five Mega P3 ...any thoughts?

The L2M with an M31 needs an o-ring or other space filler between the lens and drop in to work proper. No biggy, just something folks should be aware of.

Red and Pete posted while I was editing my first post.

I use copper tape with my first M31/L2M. I purchased a couple more L2Ms for my latest M31LL 219s and not having any copper tape I just used aluminum foil and they are working reliably. I did have to use a fairly substantial "wrap" of al. foil so the drop-ins fit very snug in the L2M socket.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

So finding a 6p to play with has me back looking into the 3p. I'd like to use the 6p head, m31w dropin, z41 tailcap with the zerorez shorty installed to run it as a AA twisty. Anyone know where to source a fivemega 3p body these days? Sold out for a while on the website.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ya sooooold out. I messaged fivemega and started a WTB thread.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another question. Will the MD1 function the same and LEGO with the 6p head ,z41 tailcap, and zerorez shorty? Again I'm trying to run AA hence the zerorez twisty addition.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

badbs101

Newly Enlightened

Let us know if he decides to make another batch. I might be interested in another Five Mega 3p body. My current set up is spending its time in my wife's car. :shakehead I recently paired it with a malkoff tricap tailcap and it fits the hand perfectly. With the flared ends on the tailcap and the Z44 bezel it is very solid in the hand and won't move (think defensive purposes). A very stout, good-looking, little package.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

My MD1 didn't work so well with a Z41. It seems the MD1 I have was cut with a lot more space between the threads and the fatter grip part of the body. It leaves a large gap of un-anodized aluminum. It works just fine but looks like heck. The only switch that looked half way decent was the Malkoff one. I was thinking of doing the same zero rez shorty with an 18500 on an MD1.

You can't use a Zero Rez shorty with any Malkoff tail caps because they are threaded for a McClicky which is much smaller than the Z41 std. threads.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very helpful sir, thank you much. A shortish, stout, chunky, bombproof AA twisty has always been appealing. A monster E01 if you will. Do you have a zerorez? I assume that twisting the tail is what gives you the on and off rather than the head??
My MD1 didn't work so well with a Z41. It seems the MD1 I have was cut with a lot more space between the threads and the fatter grip part of the body. It leaves a large gap of un-anodized aluminum. It works just fine but looks like heck. The only switch that looked half way decent was the Malkoff one. I was thinking of doing the same zero rez shorty with an 18500 on an MD1.

You can't use a Zero Rez shorty with any Malkoff tail caps because they are threaded for a McClicky which is much smaller than the Z41 std. threads.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fivemega responded. No 3p bodies and no plans to have them in the future. Bummer.
Let us know if he decides to make another batch. I might be interested in another Five Mega 3p body. My current set up is spending its time in my wife's car. :shakehead I recently paired it with a malkoff tricap tailcap and it fits the hand perfectly. With the flared ends on the tailcap and the Z44 bezel it is very solid in the hand and won't move (think defensive purposes). A very stout, good-looking, little package.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a FiveMega 3P body for what seemed like a decade. Never used it once "in the field", was more of a shelf queen more or less. Just not all that practical, and not all that small either.

A Malkoff MD2 loaded with anything and a Z41 tailcap gives more surface to grip and is marginally longer. I think it's the perfect EDC size. You can roll either with a high capacity 18650 cell or with 2x123. With M61T I get 380 lumes on high and 5 on low.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW, FiveMega 6P bodies are also excellent, that would be my first choice for M61-series anything. Round and grip well and the cells are tight in them.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Another question. Will the MD1 function the same and LEGO with the 6p head ,z41 tailcap, and zerorez shorty? Again I'm trying to run AA hence the zerorez twisty addition.

They do work well with those cheap plastic G2 clone tailcaps from the bay. In fact for some reason those work on just about everything from SolarForce to G2-6P and MDx

M6dqHzF.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very helpful sir, thank you much. A shortish, stout, chunky, bombproof AA twisty has always been appealing. A monster E01 if you will. Do you have a zerorez? I assume that twisting the tail is what gives you the on and off rather than the head??

I have an old zero rez twisty so it is the non-low profile one that's out of production. I use it with a bored Surefire 6P and an 18650. I've been thinking about picking up a zero rez shorty but I'm not sure what host to use it with unless I buy a spacer. On the 6P and I would imagine the Malkoffs you can twist the head for on/off. It would be awesome with a high/low ring, perfect light really only it's hard to find a tail cap that will fit.

I had a FiveMega 3P body for what seemed like a decade. Never used it once "in the field", was more of a shelf queen more or less. Just not all that practical, and not all that small either.

A Malkoff MD2 loaded with anything and a Z41 tailcap gives more surface to grip and is marginally longer. I think it's the perfect EDC size. You can roll either with a high capacity 18650 cell or with 2x123. With M61T I get 380 lumes on high and 5 on low.

Really? Could never find a tail cap that fit right with the Malkoff. Maybe you know something I don't.

rjking

Enlightened

Here's the OR Wood 18350

efqob5.jpg

Size comparison

ae02z9.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an old zero rez twisty so it is the non-low profile one that's out of production. I use it with a bored Surefire 6P and an 18650. I've been thinking about picking up a zero rez shorty but I'm not sure what host to use it with unless I buy a spacer. On the 6P and I would imagine the Malkoffs you can twist the head for on/off. It would be awesome with a high/low ring, perfect light really only it's hard to find a tail cap that will fit.

Really? Could never find a tail cap that fit right with the Malkoff. Maybe you know something I don't.

If the cell is unprotected and on the short side, you know the ones lacking the PCB are obviously shorter, the "GA" 3500mAh Pannys. In that case, the Z41 fits like a glove. Perfect fit.

If the cells are on the longer side, especially if using 2x18500 that are both protected, they are so long in a 9P clone / MD3 that you have to use a clicky of some kind, Malkoff Tricap or such. Z41 just does not fit at all, the spring is way too compressed.

There is a lot of variance between different cells based on whether they use PCB or not.

I am happy, I got a bunch of unprotected 3500mAh Panasonics for $5/each and they fit well in M61T with the Z41. A very compact package.

I am sorry, but all this MD1.5 to MD1 stuff does not make sense whatsoever. You saving tiny amounts of space with vastly reduced capacity.

NH Lumens

Enlightened

I am sorry, but all this MD1.5 to MD1 stuff does not make sense whatsoever. You saving tiny amounts of space with vastly reduced capacity.

Anything more than a handful is wasted. ;-)

As long as no Search & Rescue operations are planned, a smaller form factor is often desired for a EDC light or one to just drop into a pocket. I carry the low runtime pocket-rockets but keep a larger, longer running light in the glove box. Carrying extra cells is often easier than carrying a larger light as well.