MG PLI MC-E *review + beamshots*

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been discussed many times in batt. section.

I think it was called PLI charger for Pila 18650's.

Strange ...... being same name .... PLI charger and PLI light ?

Maybe I'm wrong about the initials - but I only see it sold on BugOutGearUSA now days.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It has been discussed many times in batt. section.

I think it was called PLI charger for Pila 18650's.

Strange ...... being same name .... PLI charger and PLI light ?

Maybe I'm wrong about the initials - but I only see it sold on BugOutGearUSA now days.

Oh yes, I'm familiar with the Pila.

Since you already have the charger and the batteries the PLI flashlight is a very small investment and it is very bright. Perhaps not as refined as the premium brands but about half the expense. It makes a nice backup light in the car or night stand.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Anybody else here have experience using the PLI flashlight with CR123A's?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was just waiting for it to be perfected. (springs and such)

Bryan was supposed to PM me when he got one that would satisfy me. He knows how picky-finiky I am.

And I'm not fond of donut holes - unless they're from DunKin donuts - in a box.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Was just waiting for it to be perfected. (springs and such)

Bryan was supposed to PM me when he got one that would satisfy me. He knows how picky-finiky I am.

And I'm not fond of donut holes - unless they're from DunKin donuts - in a box.

You may be more of a premium brand guy. I'd love a Malkoff MCe in an MD2 or MD4 but they're just too expensive for me. I do have a TK40 but I don't plan on buying any more flashlights that cost over $100....for a while anyway.

Anyway, by adjusting the bezel the donut hole can be eliminated. We're not talking perfection here but for any purpose but beamshots this flashlight does the job. I'm more concerned about how long I can run it on high without toasting the LED or the CR123A lithiums I have in it. Medium is bright enough for all practical purposes but high is more fun!

Bryan installed the tactical clicky for me and it seems to work very well. No complaints at all about springs, brightness, or beam so far.

Last edited:

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
I just got my MG PLI, and while I generally like it (lots of power for it's size), it does not appear to be working properly. The modes are not changing properly. When I press the power button, sometimes the light will flash, but not change modes. It just goes off while the button is pressed inward, but stays on the same mode. Other times it will change just fine. The fact that the light always flashes when the button is pressed would indicate to me that it's probably not a problem with the switch. The biggest problem that I have with it, however, is that sometimes (actually most of the time), it will go to the next mode when it is turned off. If I leave it on high, when I turn it on again, it will be on the lowest setting. This isn't good, as I wanted it to be a "bump in the night" flashlight, but when it comes on in low mode, it's totally unacceptable.

Has anyone else had this problem? I hate returning things, but I won't have a choice if I can't fix it myself.

Thanks

Rexlion

Enlightened
Mine sometimes goes to low like that too, but for me it is more of a minor annoyance. I can understand your position, though.

My reverse clicky sometimes didn't seem to change the mode, again like your experience... I changed it out to the forward clicky and that one seems to work fine, changes mode every time.

The failure to remember mode would probably be in the head, AFAIK, not in the switch...

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just got my MG PLI, and while I generally like it (lots of power for it's size), it does not appear to be working properly. The modes are not changing properly. When I press the power button, sometimes the light will flash, but not change modes. It just goes off while the button is pressed inward, but stays on the same mode. Other times it will change just fine. The fact that the light always flashes when the button is pressed would indicate to me that it's probably not a problem with the switch. The biggest problem that I have with it, however, is that sometimes (actually most of the time), it will go to the next mode when it is turned off. If I leave it on high, when I turn it on again, it will be on the lowest setting. This isn't good, as I wanted it to be a "bump in the night" flashlight, but when it comes on in low mode, it's totally unacceptable.

Has anyone else had this problem? I hate returning things, but I won't have a choice if I can't fix it myself.

Thanks

2 suggestions:

1) I find that unless I wait a SEVERAL minutes after shutting off the light it goes to the next mode when I turn it back on. In other words...get it to the mode you want ...leave it in that mode for a while to make sure it is set....then turn it off....LEAVE it off....turn it on at least 10 minutes later and see if it stays in the desired mode. That always works for me.

2) Mine works as long as I follow the directions above BUT Bryan installed the forward clicky for me. Try installing the forward clicky and see if you get better results.

Good luck. I hope that works for you.

I keep mine by my bed but I keep it locked out (by unscrewing the tail 4 turns). With the forward clicky installed I'm afraid the light could turn on when the cat knocks it off the night stand (ya it's WHEN not IF). If it turns on high I don't know if it could get hot enough to start a fire. I wish I didn't have to lock it out because I'd like to be able to grab and go but I don't want to take a chance.

I lit up the woods tonight when I got back from the movies....unbelievably bright little light...I can't get over it. Just wish I didn't have to worry about the heat issue. Chances are the LED would pop before it got hot enough to ignite the batteries or environment but I'm not taking any chances.

I was keeping it in my car but I decided the car might get too hot in the summer for the lithium primaries. Ya, I know...paranoid to the bone. It's never the thing you worry about that gets ya...it's the thing you don't THINK of worrying about!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Fun experiment for PLI owners...if you take off the head completely and turn it on indoors it lights up a room very evenly without any hotspot. Perfect for indoors imo.

Now without the heat sinking of the head I didn't dare do it long. The LED might get overheated. If you accidentally touch it I suppose you'd be burned too. The reflector is nice outdoors for a little throw but the light id better without it indoors IMO. I would like to think of a way to retain the heatsink yet get that beautiful hot spot free light for lighting a room.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So just to recap is the general consensus this light is a thumbs up? I'm considering ordering one.

At 5.5 inches running on one 18650 at around 700 lumens with fair quailty for $55, sounds to good to be true. Oh yeh it includes a holster and lanyard. Am I missing anything?

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Well, the 700 lumens part may be a little exaggerated.

Apart from that, you got it right. :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I had to order one just put in the order would have done it last night but shiningbeam was down for maintenance.

So I'm new to MG and have a PLI, Mini II with turbo head on the way. Can hardly stand the wait!

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
So just to recap is the general consensus this light is a thumbs up? I'm considering ordering one.

At 5.5 inches running on one 18650 at around 700 lumens with fair quailty for $55, sounds to good to be true. Oh yeh it includes a holster and lanyard. Am I missing anything?

Gave one to my son who's training for a century ride .. he took it out last night on his training ride. Said it worked very well, light up everything out to about 50 feet or so. The spill is so wide that he didn't have any need for a light on his helmet.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened

I think its a pretty good deal, used mine at a camping trip and its a pretty good flood light. I like it for its size, its small enough for me to pocket. No regrets getting one.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Thanks

Did you ever get this straightened out?

recDNA

Flashaholic
What is the longest anybody has run their MG PLI on high using CR123a primaries? I really don't want to buy a charger and 18650's unless a REALLY have to. If I have to buy a charger I've defeated the purpose of buying a low cost alternative to a WE sniper.

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
Is there a reason why I don't see that flashlight on shiningbeam.com?

Last edited: