Modified TN31

Marc85495

Newly Enlightened
Yes, its a de-domed XM-L with the stock reflector.

Saab warrentys all the lights, I asked him the same question and he said unless DOA (he would pay shipping then) the user would pay shipping to him and he would fix pretty much anything for free and ship it back.

If anything his TN31 will be more reliable than stock, yess the LED is over driven but it runs cooler so its better.

I read that the lumens in the modified version would actually be lower, how would the LED be overdriven? Much overdriven when stock?

cchurchi

Enlightened
Really looking forward to getting this light! I do alot of night hiking and appreciate lights with good throw, so this should be just the ticket. Should have a good run time and I already have a TN30; I definately like the form factor.

langham

Enlightened
The lumens are slightly lowered due to the process. Then he makes the thermal properties insane with some very awesome thermal modifications. Since these lights have better thermal properties they actually run cooler than stock. If I were a throw guy I would buy the entire collection, good thing I am not. Big fan of the work though, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Overclocker,

Based on his reply to my PM, no, the optics aren't stock.
I think you misinterpreted what I said in that PM. I said the recycling works much better with optics but not that that is what I am currently doing here.

Wow - hi guys, I'm new to the forum.

I bought my first real torch recently, a Led Lenser P5 and got hooked. A few google searches later I stumbled across this site & was blown away by Selfbuilt's reviews & how hardcore the members are.

Haven't been sleeping well after reading about Saabluster's mods - put my order in yesterday for one of his TN31s, can't wait till it arrives!

Peter :)
Welcome to CPF!!! Had many people back in the day sign up to CPF just so they could get a DEFT. Nice to see the newer lights getting some love too:)

ok, you got my attention.

1) can you run this thing safely with 18650 AW 3100 protected cells (will they fit?)

2) is there any reduction in safety at all?

3) not trying to insult anyone but with the light modded, i am probably out of luck with the warranty from thrunite so what happens if I have trouble down the road a bit? (we're talking almost 300 bucks, so it's not just a buy another one). There is nothing in the terms and conditions on the website.

I really like the UI.

I would sell my catapult, what do you guys think is a fair price? It's in mint condition with all accessories included and never used and I would include the 2 AW cells that are not used that much.
1-yes
2-absoutely not. Quite the opposite. The lights are more robust after they leave my hands.
3-The way I handle that is to cover both shipping to and from as well as parts and service if the light arrived DOA. If after some months the light stopped working I'd ask that the customer pay shipping to me and I would cover the return shipping as well as parts and labor. If it has been over a year I cover parts and labor if it is in my power to do so. So things like LEDs or broken solder joints could be handled but clearly there may be instances where parts like drivers could not be sourced as the light is no longer being made. I'd say that scenario is very unlikely. Either way I try to do what I think fair for both of us.

The lumens are slightly lowered due to the process, but then the current is raised to account and bring it back up. Then he makes the thermal properties insane with some very awesome thermal modifications. Since these lights have better thermal properties they actually run cooler than stock, but in all actuallity they will run for less overall time than if they were stock (just the emmitter, assuming that they were perfect from the factory) due to the way that they are modified, although considering how rediculous they are and how often you get to use a light of this calliber there is almost no reason that you should have any problems in the next few years. Lets face it anyone buying this light is going to want the next best thing when it comes out anyway and that will be long before this excelent light gets decomed. If I were a throw guy I would buy the entire collection, good thing I am not. Big fan of the work though, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
The runtime of the TN-31 is unchanged as the current to the LED is kept stock. The thermal mods actually will make the light run hotter on the outside but cooler on the inside.

Just as a note I calculated the average of the lights so far and it comes out to 242Kcd. The range has been from 223-275Kcd. I will be adjusting the spec on the website to 242Kcd. Interestingly the drop from the average of 242Kcd to 223Kcd represents a fall of 7.851% which is really close to the plus or minus Cree gives to their LEDs of 7%. So it seems these results are well withing the range I'd expect when factoring in the variances on all the other parts that make up a completed flashlight.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
cool, that sets me at ease more.

I may pull the trigger soon. I need to sell my catapult first I think

RBH

Newly Enlightened
saabluster

How does the throw, as well as any useable spill of your modified Fandyfire STL-V6 compare to the stock TN31 ?

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN31 on it's way!

You lucky devil you!!

Mine has to get to Australia yet and it is coming with the Fandyfire as well.

I wonder where I am in the Lottery Draw and how it is decided who gets 225kcd or 275Kcd.

It seems like an eternity to me since I hit that good old "PAYPAL" button.

I don't know how those dedicated guys waiting for Henry's HDS lights can handle the waiting time.

Cheers

Last edited:

laur

Newly Enlightened
My modified ThruNite TN31 (saabluster calls it the TN31s) arrived in the mail today. Call me "Mr. Lucky" -- Michaels personalized card said it has 275K lux throw!!

I can't fully test the light because it is still daylight where I live. I did however run the TN31s in a dark room against my other "throwers" -- A Raidfire (modded with a XRE R2), a Tiablo A9 (also modded with a XRE R2) and a Eagletac G25C2. The other 3 lights paled in comparison. When I turned the TN31s on turbo and superimposed the center spot over the other three lights, the TN31s actually obliterated the others center spot -- Their spots actually disappeared into the awesomeness of the TN31s!!

I have a large park near my house with an open space of about 500 yards and trees after that. After darkness here in the Northwest, I will see what the TN31s can accomplish at some distance. Don't expect any pictures though because I do not have a camera.

laur

>>UPDATE AFTER DARKNESS FELL<<
I took the TN31s out to the park tonight to see how far I could light up objects and trees. The light is plenty bright on high but turbo makes you smile!! 500 yards was the longest distance I could light up objects (swings, picnic tables, trash cans, restrooms, etc.) before the trees got in the way. The TN31s had no problem illuminating them brightly enough so it was easy to discern what they were. I inadvertently light up some guy sitting in a lawn chair. He, his chair and his dog were all covered in lumens at about 400 yards!! I also lit up a 125ft Douglas fir at the edge of the treeline (about 450 yards) and illuminated the same tree's top foliage. Someone expert in trigonometry can figure how far that is from the angle.

The light color is warmer then my cool white lights (6500K) and not as warm as my 2 neutral lights (4500K). I would estimate the color at about 5500K.

Saabluster outdid himself with this mod. It is amazing what you can do with 1000 lumens when you know what your doing!!

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened
My modified ThruNite TN31 (saabluster calls it the TN31s) arrived in the mail today. Call me "Mr. Lucky" -- Michaels personalized card said it has 275K lux throw!!

I can't fully test the light because it is still daylight where I live. I did however run the TN31s in a dark room against my other "throwers" -- A Raidfire (modded with a XRE R2), a Tiablo A9 (also modded with a XRE R2) and a Eagletac G25C2. The other 3 lights paled in comparison. When I turned the TN31s on turbo and superimposed the center spot over the other three lights, the TN31s actually obliterated the others center spot -- Their spots actually disappeared into the awesomeness of the TN31s!!

I have a large park near my house with an open space of about 500 yards and trees after that. After darkness here in the Northwest, I will see what the TN31s can accomplish at some distance. Don't expect any pictures though because I do not have a camera.

laur

ill send you my camera if you post the beamshots !!:naughty::thumbsup:

laur

Newly Enlightened
ill send you my camera if you post the beamshots !!:naughty::thumbsup:

hahoo

Thanks for the offer but I will let the pros take the beam shots. If you look at my earlier post I have updated it with my impressions of the light after dark.

laur