My EDC hasn't changed in a year and a half.

gunga

Flashaholic
Interesting topic. I had been changing edcs a lot, but tend to rotate through a few different ti lights. Ti is great because it barely shows day to day wear and be easily refinished.

I go through a 14500 equipped sunwayman v10r ti, a haiku, and recently a Mac tri Edc. I tend to carry an eagletac d25a when travelling for battery availability and replacement cost.

I don't see myself rushing to buy many more lights any time soon. Very stable now.

Pvt. Pile

Newly Enlightened
! For 10 years I'm continuously buying flashlights. What's weird about it is that I should have well over a hundred lights, but I don't. I have 4. I buy them, and give them away! I usually swap an emitter or do something to 'lightly' mod the light and explain this to the recipient that the light is a one-off to some degree. It costs me a lot of money, but its my weird thing. It goes back to when I was about 10years old, and a friend of mine gave me a brand new 2 x as mini mag. I couldn't believe it. I thought it was the best/brightest thing in the world. I guess I remember that feeling and want it to live on! By the way, the only light I could never give away would have to be my sc600, love it more than that mini mag!

fyrstormer

Banned
Celebrating 3 years of the same EDC.

CIMG5875b.png

3 years, 3 lights, 0 replacement parts. For this photo, nothing was done to the lights except washing them with dish soap and a toothbrush. This is why I love titanium.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 years, 3 lights, 0 replacement parts.

That's awesome.

I've EDC'd my 47 Mini123 HCRI since March 2012 so I'm coming up on 2 years with it. Sure, some days I'll grab my 6P or C2 with whatever drop in I'm digging at the time, but the mini is concealable, reliable, and sufficient for 95% of my flashlight use.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your anniversary. I enjoyed your original post and the whole thread. Thank you for the update which resurrected this thread.

I like your concept of Rotating Daily Carry. My concept of EDC is similar. I have OMP (On My Person) and IMB (In My Bag - either my briefcase or backpack). I keep a 10180, 10280 or AAA in my pocket. This meets most of my needs. I keep bigger lights in my bag. They can be brighter, throwier or have long runtimes depending on my needs.

On the one hand, I believe variety is the spice of life. I enjoy getting lights with features that I can use. I get a lot of satisfaction or at least get calm when I research new lights and pick something that interests me. The introduction of new emitters like the XP-G2 and 219B are not revolutionary, but they are improvements. I enjoy neutral lights, but I am not a tint snob. I really appreciate nice beams much more than tint. Which brings me to the other hand - I always seem to have the same lights in my RDC. This isn't a bad thing and it doesn't stop me from exploring and buying new lights.

Like a lot of us, I've always been interested in flashlights. Yes, they are tools and they serve a real purpose. But they are also fun. Some are electronic/mechanical/machined marvels. I have lights that are truly beautiful and I have lights that are plain and only make me smile when I turn them on. Some nights, I grab a light and the dog and go for a walk. On other nights, especially after a tough day at the office, I grab a few lights, the dog, a stiff drink and sit in my backyard and play with lights. I compare tints, beams and modes. The exercise is probably better for me. But getting rid of stress and relaxing is important, too.

False Cast

Newly Enlightened
From the point of view of new flashlight enthusiast: very interesting perspective. It was a good thread to read.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying the same pants-pockets EDC for about the last 6-7 years. My Fenix L2D should be outmoded, but it doesn't feel that way to me. Small and covered in o-rings, it wants to be cigar-gripped. It's got 6 modes, but I can easily skip 4 of them. I use the low mode 99% of the time, for short periods. I just changed the battery for what I think was the 3rd time. I can tighten the bezel down for maximum if I want to see something at a distance. My other EDC light is my keychain Peak aluminum AAA "something", configured for maximum runtime, although most would probably consider it too long for a keychain. That's summer carry. When I am wearing a winter coat, I usually have a Z2 in an inside coat pocket with a 4-years-old Nailbender 3-mode drop-in. I tend to rotate and play the most with my taking-the-dog-out-at-night light. Most of the lights I value the most are my Surefire "classic period" lights, although I do have a few others. I don't really feel much of a need to upgrade, replace, or supplement most of what I have. My EDC run on primaries, and almost all other uses use rechargeables. I've been fortunate to travel to a few foreign countries over the past several years, and my golden rule is never to take anything I would consider irreplaceable, and that everything should run on either AA or AAA.

dss_777

Enlightened
I've learned that finding that perfect light rarely happens on the first try. I now know that cheaper is NOT always better, but also that spending MORE isn't always going to get a better functioning tool. I've done both.

The challenge these days is getting to "good enough" without going over the edge in either direction.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've learned that finding that perfect light rarely happens on the first try. I now know that cheaper is NOT always better, but also that spending MORE isn't always going to get a better functioning tool. I've done both.

The challenge these days is getting to "good enough" without going over the edge in either direction.

I agree. In the past couple of years I found myself buying all sorts of lights for different specific scenarios/tasks/reasons, but ultimately found that I was much happier by keeping it simple with just a handful of lights and not chasing the latest and greatest thing or flavor of the month.

fyrstormer

Banned
Pretty much the only special-purpose lights I use anymore are a McGizmo Mule with a Hi-CRI emitter for photography, and a McGizmo Sundrop with a UV emitter for stain-detection and epoxy-curing.

davyro

Enlightened
I'm the same with my EDC lights i have 4 lights that i rotate & since i've had these 4 I've not felt the need to buy any other EDC lights out of the 4 lights my Surefire e1b Back up & my HDS Rotary seem to get used the most.I did purchase an Surefire E2Dl Ultra as a light with a bit of throw but it only gets used on camping trips & weekends in the English Lake District.I've got no desire whatsoever to change my EDC lights & i don't think i will unless something ground breaking comes out but i just don't see that on the horizon unless the Japanese start taking a big interest in flashlights.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
While I've had an interest in flashlights since I was a kid and have always had a few, I did have a burst of activity over the past few years as a learning experience / hobby. I researched hundreds and purchased many dozens, mostly in the micro/tiny/small EDC categories from a wides variety of manufacturers, with a wide variety of UI's and features.

Now i have a list of favorite brands, and know what features and specs and UI's work best for me. And I have a handful of lights I use the vast majority of the time that represents about 5% of what I tried. As time passes, I'll keep my core lights up to date but perhaps at a light or two a year pace rather than several a month. At this point most of the lights in my EDC rotation are over a year old but there is nothing "better enough" for me to replace them with. I spend a bit of time listening rather than a lot of time actively looking.

I see nothing wrong with being happy with what I have until something compellingly better becomes available. But I understand the drive behind those still looking or who just enjoy it as a useful pastime or hobby. It's all good.

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
I never got in to collecting lights, nor really chase what is new. I occasionally have a peak at CPF, just to know what has changed in the flashlight world.

My EDC light has been the Fenix L1D since 2008, next to my Victorinox Huntsmen I have been carrying since 2004. Newest thing I carry everyday is my phone; a Motorola defy (almost 3 years old now).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorta the same boat here
I'll still read about the latest and the greatest, but the Sunwayman V10R XML and the Fenix E05 have become my sole companions for the last year and change

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked my FourSevens account history, and I ordered my Mini123 HCRI on 3/11/12, so I'm right at two years with it. I think I might have changed the battery on it 4 or 5 times in the time I've owned it. The thing is perfect. Disappears in my pocket, three well spaced outputs, hidden disco modes, and has been reliable.

I can't complain...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The last light I bought was a Quark 123 in April of 2013. The first two modes are too low for my EDC needs. But moonlight mode is GREAT for bathroom runs!
I have had my Fenix P2D for quite some time. Certainly since 2008 or 2009. It still does EXACTLY what I need in an EDC light.
I have had my ARC AAA so long a LOT of the anodizing is worn off. I consider it a last ditch light. It is on me whenever I have my keys.

And on a completely unrelated note. I drove through Pearland recently and Lighthound is no longer where they used to be. I don't even know if they still exist. But I got some Fenix Lego there as well as some other goodies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

CIMG5875b.png

3 years, 3 lights, 0 replacement parts. For this photo, nothing was done to the lights except washing them with dish soap and a toothbrush. This is why I love titanium.
I just got my TC-R2 in the mail and after an emitter swap it will probably be seeing a whole lot of usage. I really appreciate the double-off position, allowing you to use it simply as a regular clicky, or solely as a twisty light.

I know I bought a couple of these when they first came out, but the low was nowhere near as low as this one is otherwise I would have definitely kept one of them.

Now carrying the TC-R2 and my Aeon MkII, I'm basically mirroring your carry, although I'm sure we both use them differently. But that is exactly what makes both of these such ideal carry lights, the ruggedness, the easily controllable variability, with great looks for the icing on the cake.

Anyone following this thread that has not tried either one of these lights really needs to at least think about them.

Latest posts