My Fenix L2D CE experience has been miserable.

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a L2D CE. It came promptly and I was really impressed, I liked it a lot.
However, it worked for exactly 3 days before it failed.

I e-mailed the Fenix store, got a RMA , and sent it back for repair.
Fenix was very good about the turn-around, I received a brand new flashlight in a few weeks.

I carried my brand new L2D CE for 2 days before it also failed - in exactly the same way (it wouldn't shift out of low power in any mode).

I think I'm going to call it quits with Fenix. I'm out 53 bucks, but I do have a non functioning flashlight to show for it. :thumbsdow

I really hope those of you who do have good luck with the Fenix brand continue to do so - but I give up.

I'm going to take a dremel tool to the head and see what the electronics look like....

billgr

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

IMHO...the LxP's and LxT's were the best made lights they put out. i've read numerous complaints about the P1 and now the LxD ce. i'm not saying that these are poorly made.....but the first few models they came out with were exceptional in quality. i have an L1p and an L2t and they have given me no trouble. i'm glad i stopped at that point with Fenix.

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
Every quality product has some failure rate. It seems like there are a lot of happy users, maybe you just happen to be unlucky :)

Keep working at it until you get a working one.

who

Newly Enlightened
I have one L2D, one L1D (with 14500), 3 L0Ds (with 10440) for the rest of my family All are working flawlessly. I like my L1D (with 14500) almost as much as my Surefire L4.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZ Sky,

If you're really going to drill into the head, how much do you want for the body and tailcap?

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
AZ Sky,

If you're really going to drill into the head, how much do you want for the body and tailcap?

It was late and I was disgusted when I posted last night.
I might re-think my decision to dissect this second flashlight and send it back yet again for a replacement.

I really do like the flashlight - when it works.

I'm just using standard Duracell AA 1.5v alkalines and/or the Powerex 2700mah NiMH's. I don't have a clue as to why these have only been working for me for only two days before they crap out.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2DCE and when my Energizer 2500MAH NIMH batteries get run down, low is all that works. I would try new batteries if you all ready have not. Also try cleaning all the threads and relube. Good luck.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry to hear about the problem with the L2D CE, if you got it from Fenix store David will make it right.

GaryF

Enlightened
I hate to hear about your bad experience, but I wouldn't give up. I've got an L1D-CE with quite a few hours on it already (bicycle headlight), and have not had problems. Also have a P1D-CE and L0P-CE both running without problem. Even after a few months of ownership, I'm still in awe of how much light comes out every time I turn these on.

Gator762

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
A) If the new light is broken too, Fenix Store will replace it.

B) What type of AA cells were you using to power it?

Two lights in a row? I'd guess battery problem too. When the battery gets weak that's all it will do, low mode only. I accidentally dropped my L1D CE already, about 3 feet onto tiled floor over concrete, and it's still fine.

Alkalines are the worst for the high power mode, NiMH and Lithium are far superior. My Fenix and the new Eneloop and Hybrid cells had me testing my NiMH batteries, and I have found some of my NiMH have crapped out. That may be the case with you too.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by Gator762: Alkalines are the worst for the high power mode, NiMH and Lithium are far superior. My Fenix and the new Eneloop and Hybrid cells had me testing my NiMH batteries, and I have found some of my NiMH have crapped out. That may be the case with you too.

Very good points! Alkalines have low current draw. NiMH batteries can easily have lowered capacities than stated after some use. They need to be reconditioned by discharging fully and recharging, a number of times. That's why the La Crosse TechnologyBC-900 or the MAHA MH-C9000 are great chargers; they show you the battery capacity after charging and you can see if it is at or below the stated capacity.

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
AZ Sky said:
I really do like the flashlight - when it works.

AZSky, clean thoroughly all connections - threads, tailcap spring and esp. the (+) plate. Poor connection will not pass enough miliamps to the electronics thus your Fenix assumes your batteries are flat.

-- M.

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
Mel_PL said:
AZSky, clean thoroughly all connections - threads, tailcap spring and esp. the (+) plate. Poor connection will not pass enough miliamps to the electronics thus your Fenix assumes your batteries are flat.

-- M.

I have in fact inspected and cleaned (multiple times) all of the threads and contacts on this thing, and also my last one.

I have done everything possible to make this thing work.
I've tried several different brands of brand new alkalines and several different makes of freshly charged NiMH batteries.

The darn thing is stuck on less-than-low power output, yet if I cycle through the tail cap modes the SOS and Strobe modes work, just at a level that you need to put the lamp right in front of your eye to see it.

I'm envious of you guys who got one of these that work for more than two days.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your troubles ... return and replace it, third times the charm as they say!

daveman

Enlightened
Try lithium AAs next time. If you still can't get it to work, I guess you're just not meant to enjoy this great utility light :awman:

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I love my 2 L2Ds and they work flawlessly (So I would also return for another). However using Lithium primaries has the opposite effect; when new they stop the low settings from getting low enough. I use Eneloop rechargeables now just for these. (I keep them in the cars so battery shelf life is an issue)