Need to scare off some vandals

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
My house has been egged three times this year, and twice last year. I want to purchase a flashlight to reach the street, which is about 60-70 feet away to scare off any vandals and to allow me to identify either their car or their license plate. We live in a rural area with very little ambient light (no streetlights).

What would you suggest I try? Let's try to keep the flashlight price to a reasonable $75.

I appreciate your advice and feedback!

-- Tony

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I'm still a rookie here, but I lucked into a Lumapower MRV on the sales board and it has a lot of throw. It is plenty bright enough to make a license plate light up at that distance.

I have to confess that I don't know the MSRP on this light, or if it is even still available in this model.

Vandalism is so frustrating and needless; good luck.

Dave

Bruce B

Enlightened
My house has been egged three times this year, and twice last year. I want to purchase a flashlight to reach the street, which is about 60-70 feet away to scare off any vandals and to allow me to identify either their car or their license plate. We live in a rural area with very little ambient light (no streetlights).

What would you suggest I try? Let's try to keep the flashlight price to a reasonable $75.

I appreciate your advice and feedback!

-- Tony

Surefire G2 LED... It's 65 dollars and extremely bright!

sappyg

Enlightened
a SF g3 would probably do it for you. that p90 LA has lots of flood too. if that does'nt get you there you could add an LF e0-9 or a p91 LA for more throw. that, and the other LA's should stay in your price range.
i'm also thinking that you could add a motion detector to your outside flood lights that would be more passive but if you live in a rural location there is no telling how many times coons, cats, and deer could set it off in one night.

Toaster

Enlightened
Vector Power On Board HID fits within your budget. That's some shock and awe for you right there :D

See this thread for details if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
This isn't a flashlight suggestion, but have you thought about a game camera ? Its a camera that hunter set out in the woods and then come back and check later. Cabelas has them from $79 up to $300. Here's an example:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It might not scare them away, but might give you something to show the local police and would work whether you were home or asleep or what ever.

Good luck.

twosouls2gether

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6965

Get that and a few batteries and a charger, it uses 123's or 18650's. I haven't played too much with it, but it is a damn focused beam! Kind of like a light saber. ;) I also have the Power On Board HID which is nice as well. Also on dealextreme there are a few super flashlights that have 3 emitters and really are bright. I have two of them, but more flood then a beam thrower.

I guess it depends if you're gonna be chasing them off too, then I'd rather wack them with a hand held flashlight then a big honking HID, plus probably more durable. Then again with a HID they might come up to you and ask questions... there you go assimilate them... resistance is futile.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
This isn't a flashlight suggestion, but have you thought about a game camera ? Its a camera that hunter set out in the woods and then come back and check later. Cabelas has them from $79 up to $300. Here's an example:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It might not scare them away, but might give you something to show the local police and would work whether you were home or asleep or what ever.

Good luck.

Yes, I am also considering a game cam. There's a maple tree close to the street and I'm thinking of strapping one of those cams on. My only fear is that a flash alerts them to the camera and they take a baseball bat to it!

bluecrow76

Enlightened
DBS V2 SSC P7 is a good suggestion... when you're not scaring people you can drop in a different pill to suite your other needs! :D

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
...... I want to purchase a flashlight to reach the street, which is about 60-70 feet away to scare off any vandals and to allow me to identify either their car or their license plate.....
Imagine stepping out on your porch and whipping this puppy up to your shoulder and hitting the power button......

Guaranteed to make 'em dirty their shorts. Of course building one is a little outside the $75 price range.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Toaster,go with the Vector Power On Board HID.Those punks will think they have a police helicopter spotlight on them.You can find them on E-Bay for less than $40.00.Sam's Club may also have them.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I'm assuming your house isn't lit very well from the outside.

I'd start by putting up a few flood lights. People tend not to attack a brightly lit house out of fear of being noticed.