*new* Fenix PD22UE

Thacker

Newly Enlightened
Really wanted to like this light. Accepting RCR123s was really all the current model lacked. The tint is very cool (purple-ish) and previous posts about the mode spacing are spot on. Miss the 100 lumen range mode more than I thought I would. Not bad, just not for me... back to the previous version. Having to learn that upgrades are not always wise or necessary.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine, the tint is a pleasant coolish white but without any hint of purple in it. As to the spacing of the levels a few days of use are needed before commenting.

msim

Enlightened
I've had a little more time with mine and I'm not quite as critical of it anymore. I'll hold on to it and I'm sure it'll fit in nicely with my other lights.

One unexpected surprise is that the included diffuser fits perfectly on my HDS. On the PD22 I have to cram it half way into the diffuser because of the smaller bezel... not a great fit.

6LaKffO.png

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there is a tint lottery probably with the XP-L more so than this being a Fenix problem is what it sounds like if it's true some people are getting slightly purple-ish tints. Could just be a fluke.

That's awesome that they include a diffuser! I think I have that diffuser if that's the same one you can buy separately for lights like the E25/LD22/etc.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up mine today and have to say its a nice little light. I can only tell the purple-ish tint when its on low. I did notice the tailcap switch prevents it from standing on end or tailstanding because it sticks out too much but thats no big deal. I had some older (5 years) 16340 batteries and noticed when I went to strobe mode it cut out after a few seconds and then the light would not turn on at all. I put in some cr123 batteries and all works fine. It could be those rechargeable s are just too old and I have no other newer ones to test so I cant blame this on the light. I also noticed the strobe is not constant and cycles from fast to slow. I have been out of the CPF loop for a bit but maybe this is something new with the fenix lights strobe mode. Also noticed the diffuser was not designed for this light as its difficult to attach. I really like this light and I will be using cr123 batteries with it. Its replacing my aging olight T10 that is about 7 years old!

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up mine today and have to say its a nice little light. I can only tell the purple-ish tint when its on low. I did notice the tailcap switch prevents it from standing on end or tailstanding because it sticks out too much but thats no big deal.

Thanks for your posts. Checked one out at a local outdoors retailer and this was the dealbreaker for me. (Have enough non-tailstanding lights) Although I otherwise agree that size and overall form factor of the light is great.

still would like to see an in depth review of the UE as well as longer-term user reports.

userofnames

Newly Enlightened
I also noticed the strobe is not constant and cycles from fast to slow. I have been out of the CPF loop for a bit but maybe this is something new with the fenix lights strobe mode.

This is called oscillating strobe. I'm pretty sure all new Fenix lights have this (those that have strobe mode, that is).

Ishango

Enlightened
I received mine a few days ago. It is a great little light. I liked my PD22 already and the PD22UE adds a bit more power to that, plus the option of using a rechargeable battery. The tint is very nice and I do think it is a nice light for the price.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I got mine a week ago. Slight purple tint, not bad. Perfect keychain light. I love it. very bright for the size with an RCR.

den331

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 pd3ue I noticed my other unit is slightly blueish tint and the other one has less blueish tint

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
There is absolutely a tint lottery. I examined several units at my local shop. Some were very purple, some blue, and some cool white. I grabbed a cool white one.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
The tint is not too noticable unless I compare it side by side with another light. The beam pattern has a cloverleaf shape due to the clipped dome on the emitter. During use the beam shape is not noticable. The lower low and broader beam make it more useful for upclose work than my PD22.

markr6

Flashaholic
Would the electronics cause this? Or a bad batch of Cree XP-L V5 LEDs?

I don't think they're "bad" batches, just a normal variance that seems to be "acceptable" since there doesn't seem to be any action to correct it.

I've seen it with Fenix, Zebralight, and EagleTac many times so I try not to give the light manufacturer too hard of a time. Yes, they COULD hand pick them for consistency, but I'm sure that will never happen. Sales are good.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
I got mine yesterday and tried a couple of my silver Ultrafire RCR123s and they'd cut off too when I tried switching between modes. I guess it's also due to the 3.7V. I just received today 6 Trustfire RCR123s 3.7V (the black ones with the flames) based on recommendations I read on the forums. They were originally intended for my Lumapower Incendio V3 but now that I've got the PD22UE the Incendio will serve as a backup. All that said, what do you guys recommend in RCR123s for the PD22UE which is supposed to use 3V cells? I assume if I throw in the Trustfires the light will cut off again and I don't want to risk frying it. I've been searching for the last hour and can't find anything.

Just picked up mine today and have to say its a nice little light. I can only tell the purple-ish tint when its on low. I did notice the tailcap switch prevents it from standing on end or tailstanding because it sticks out too much but thats no big deal. I had some older (5 years) 16340 batteries and noticed when I went to strobe mode it cut out after a few seconds and then the light would not turn on at all. I put in some cr123 batteries and all works fine. It could be those rechargeable s are just too old and I have no other newer ones to test so I cant blame this on the light. I also noticed the strobe is not constant and cycles from fast to slow. I have been out of the CPF loop for a bit but maybe this is something new with the fenix lights strobe mode. Also noticed the diffuser was not designed for this light as its difficult to attach. I really like this light and I will be using cr123 batteries with it. Its replacing my aging olight T10 that is about 7 years old!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been rotating in my new PD22UE a couple of AW's RCR123 and all is well, no sudden cut outs or problems.

msim

Enlightened
Also have had no issues with AW IMR 16340s (red) and AW LiCo RCR123s (black) along with Efest 16340s. The light is made to handle the voltage range of lithium rechargeable batteries.

Ultrafire, Trustfire and pretty much anythingfire rechargeable batteries aren't known for working according to spec. It's very possible that they just can't handle the current demanded by the light. I don't want to get too off topic but I would bin those batteries and buy some AW IMR 16340's.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'll look into the AWs. I'd read good things about the Trustfires with the flame on them so that's why I picked them up. My silver/grey Ultrafires were pretty disappointing right out of the gate. The run time on them is pretty poor on my Lumapower.

den331

Newly Enlightened
I have my pd22ue since last month and got my 2nd one last week. I noticed my newer unit has more bluish tint and much brighter than my 1 month old pd22 ue i dont know why .maybe because the newer led module is brighter than a 4 hours old used time in my older pd22ue