New item: Arc4 Forensics Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Chengiz said:
UV LEDs are hard on themselves. The UV breaks down the material that contains it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless that material is *glass*. LEDs don't HAVE to be made of UV-destroying resin. No sir.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED, I haven't tested it with scorpions yet but I would not be surprised if it worked. Scorpions are hard to find in the winter.

Peter

LED

Newly Enlightened
I'll send you a box full of them to try it out.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks Peter!

Chengiz

Enlightened
How much cost does glassing the LED add to the entire product. When you look at the cost of Forensic Lighting and the device itself, they seem over priced. Then again a 1000 units versus 10,000 + makes that difference. Though to be fair LEDs are starting to show up in the forensic market as four clustered LEDs. Been about a year so their rating is somewhere in the nano watt area as opposed to the things come out this year.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
there are some high-powered leds that are made of glass. they're just not out yet.

the luxeon's are completely different though.

in order for peter to use these other uv leds, he would need to completely redesign the arc4 though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
that's just not going to happen i think...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today. This thing is seriously cool! I`ll post some more info later on as the camera is on charge right now, but suffice to say the deep blue colour is stunning, the brightness is great and it`s got this little bright hotspot right in the middle that makes it even better. Even with the orange goggles on, I can still see some of the light so they don`t block it all out but do block most. The world looks seriously wierd looking at it through orange lenses, with deep blue light illuminating everything. Traser glowrings and my Princeton-Tec/Tektite flashlights in dayglo yellow and orange light up like highway flares!

Great little light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photo time....

arc4arc4f.jpg

Colour is deeper and more vibrant in reality:
arc4fbeam.jpg

Underexposed to better show the middle of the beam:
arc4fbeamue.jpg

Forensic edition next to regular white 4+ :
arc4whitevblue.jpg

Shone through the UV-blocking goggles, notice not all the light is blocked out, but also notice just how bright the un-filtered light is:
arc4fthroughlens.jpg

And an example of its fluorescing capabilities, first in plain view:
arc4funfiltered.jpg

Now with the goggles on:
arc4ffiltered.jpg

So although the light emitted isn`t true UV, and although the orange lenses don`t filter all the blue light, it`s still a very effective little thing. I`m not a forensic scientist so couldn`t begin to say how useful or accurate it would be in place of other illuminators, but as a flashlight nut it`s a cool toy and interesting too.

Just in case anyone wonders, the beam is not 100% perfect. The clear lens of the blue Luxeon LED together with the smooth reflector does make for some slight rings in the outer reaches of the side-spill, and there is a hint of the "grill" effect and a slight shadow that the structure of the blue die gives in the middle, but on the whole the deep blue is just so overwhelming to the eye that it isn`t much to be bothered about.

It`s one to be used with care of course. The intense deep blue, though very pretty, could cause harm to your eyes if abused. And as with other light-related injuries, the damage is cumulative, not becoming evident right away either. Signs of "damage" to the eyes are dryness or a stinging sensation a half hour or more after exposure. So keep it out of reach of kids and those who would be inclined to look right down the barell then push the power button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
With one of my Grey kits and a RB 1W luxeon, I made a light like this a year or so ago. I haven't been able to find good blue blocking goggles, so I have to hold a 4x5 square of dichroic (blue/yellow) filter glass in front of my eyes. It's not as convenient as goggles.

Does anyone know of a common place for one to find such goggles? Maybe a hunting store? Oh, one big limitation--I wear glasses. Useful goggles have to fit over them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jpeg

Enlightened
tracerline sells them, but you need to find a local redistributor... I found another site that sold direct for 6.00 each, but they required a $50.00 min purchase... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, those 2 last pictures are a great representation of how the kit works! Thanks!

Spacemarine

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chris M. said:
(...) and although the orange lenses don`t filter all the blue light, (...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure that the goggles don't filter all the blue light? I think they do filter all the blue light, but the LED doesen't emit pure blue light. Therefore the goggles let you see the orange light emitted by the LED.

This would also explain why the flashlight in your 5th photo looks orange. If it were the goggles who wouldn't filter out all the blue light it should look blue instead.

snook

Newly Enlightened
Chris M.—

Great pics and review, thanks!

Where did you get the printed paper targets from (with the degree markings and crosshairs, etc.)?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">Are you sure that the goggles don't filter all the blue light? I think they do filter all the blue light, but the LED doesen't emit pure blue light. Therefore the goggles let you see the orange light emitted by the LED.</font>

You`re right, I forgot LEDs are not monochromatic. The colour I see looking at the Arc4F through the orange lenses is a sort of green/orange colour which definately means some longer wavelengths are being emitted, just in far smaller amounts. The durn thing is just so bright that it`s easy to see these green and orange colours through the lenses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-

The top target with the degrees calibration was specially designed for me by a friend who works in the lighting/Photometrics industry, and the small general purpose one was hand made, based on an original design by Craig at the LED Museum. Just drawn with a big dark blue magic-marker on a sheet of A4 printer paper, with numbers produced by a handheld label printer. The colour bars were produced in Photoshop and printed, cut out and stuck on afterwards.
Unfortunately it would seem there are no industry-standard beamshot patterns that can bought or downloaded. I have been meaning to make a PDF of the smaller target that can be printed out by anyone who wants to, but the PDF software I have doesn`t work properly here at home (Win98) only at work (W2000) and I never have the time to do it at work!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

snook

Newly Enlightened
Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'm really surprised that there is no chart that can be downloaded from somewhere.

I find the charts very helpful, yours look great.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
Well I'll be damned!

Looks like I'm going to buy one of these too.

I like my ARC AAA UV (12mW version) but this thing looks like it kicks.

Does it make the security features in checks and currency fluoresce or do you need goggles to pick it out? That is the main thing I use my ARC AAA UV for.

In the top pics, it looks like you have two Arc 4's and one has a luxeon with no phosphor on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are the lights identical as far as features go? Can I send a blue SOS? (Don't ask!)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.