New Malkoff MDC in the works.

Gene43

Enlightened
And therein lies the problem. In this small of a form factor, esp diameter, there is simply no room for the mechanicals of a switch that would be robust enough for rough use. Please keep in mind that this is going to be a small EDC type light, not a tactical light. The strobe is for signaling your buddies on the opposite side of the lake, or finding someone in a crowd, not for warding off ninja warriors. They can also be easily built with high only.

Absolutely no offense is taken in the criticism. I knew I would hear this when I started and I appreciate hearing all views!

Thanks, Gene

Maybe we need to start a completely separate thread to discuss the MDC. I have a feeling there will be a LOT of discussion to come.

As for TWL's comments, I agree almost unilaterally. That said, I realize it may be harder to integrate a mechanical switching mechanism into a small form factor. I'm just excited for whatever comes :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

ginaz

Enlightened
this is great news. i'll be curious to see what the cr123 regulation looks like, esp after what the eb1 offered. i'd like to second the motion for a return to optics! i still use my m60 despite having much more powerful lights because i simply love that beam profile.

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the optics.

I find the spill less distracting because there is no sharp contrast.

Darvis

Enlightened
Paypal ready to roll...

Oh, and I agree with twl and the Wildcat UI... and no blinky modes, please!! High, low.. done.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that the 1xCR123 version will exclude 1xRCR123/1xIMR123 LiIon compatibility?
Not certain if it's necessary, but I'm sure that the topic will come up so I figured I'd throw it out there. :shrug:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great! I would be in for one of each battery type- neutral please! Thanks for the work that you guys put in to R&D!

ToNIX

Enlightened
Best x-mas news ever!

The only thing is that I don't think strobe is required on an EDC, simply high and low, like the good high/low ring. However, nothing will stop me from buying it when it comes out :D

happy-crying-face-tumblr-meme.png

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Gene,

It's awesome to hear that you are working on a new pocket light. I would like to leave you a suggestion. Please consider using optics again in some of your lights, and more neutral/warm tints. A multi mode MDC with a tight TIR beam would rock the world on CPF.

It would be nice to see TIRs again, as long as we set real expectations for the light. If the technology for the combination of multi-mode ~250 lumen 1 XR123 TIR light that satisfies most CPFer's expectation in runtime, I'm sure Gene will do it. But as I understand the TIR limits the LEDs that can be used. I hate to see any unnecessary rambling over a Malkoff product like we have seen over the EB1 release, especially since Gene has been such a close member of this little community.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see the valid points of everyone else's wants list but personally, I would accept what the maker decides. Everything forms a part of the grand design. And I like to buy the entire product design.

jellydonut

Enlightened
if there is indeed no room for a malkoff type switching arrangement, i would prefer a single-mode light to the proposed control scheme.

i suppose i am not the target market, but this sounds like the first new malkoff light i wont be buying on release. :(

Latest posts