New Malkoff MDC in the works.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be happy if it can take a 3v Tenergy cell. Actually, Id prefer that to a Li-ion.

However, I've never been a fan of a light coming on in high first. That's for tactical lights, which this one isn't. That alone will probably keep me from buying one, although I'm sure at some point he will release one that comes on in low first, as it should be able to be programmed either way fairly easily.

Overall I'm super excited that he is going in this direction and can't wait to see what comes out.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

You need to take your own advice.

It would be nice to see TIRs again, as long as we set real expectations for the light. If the technology for the combination of multi-mode ~250 lumen 1 XR123 TIR light that satisfies most CPFer's expectation in runtime, I'm sure Gene will do it. But as I understand the TIR limits the LEDs that can be used. I hate to see any unnecessary rambling over a Malkoff product like we have seen over the EB1 release, especially since Gene has been such a close member of this little community.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a strobe of some sort on my pocket light. And able to use rechargeable batteries, from nimhs to li-ions.

Tracker II

Enlightened
Wow Gene, this is great news! As the proud owner of a Wildcat, Hound Dog, and two MD2's with H/L Rings, I was just thinking that a single AA Malkoff would make my collection complete. I can't wait!

I hope you and Cathy had a Merry Christmas and thanks again for all you do.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
These sound great and may demote my Zebralight SC51W as an EDC. I'm hoping the LED will be an XP-G2 and on that topic I feel that 150 lumens from the AA version may not be enough. The XP-G ZL SC51 is rated as 200L and there's suggestions of an XP-G2 version next year that no doubt will be brighter. I know the Malkoff MDC will be far better quality, but I would prefer more that 150 lumens from an AA.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also rather it be brutally reliable than pushing the limit of battery and LED.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel good about this news, and I had a chance to voice my suggestions, and now I'll wait with great anticipation to see what Gene comes out with.
I have always liked everything he did, so I'm sure that I'll like this.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to the AA format in a pocketable/keychain-able size which is bright and reliable, I think that would be nice.

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
I'll buy one regardless of strobe, battery configuration, or whether it comes on high or low first:rolleyes:. Its a Malkoff, nuff said.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Read my post again, I'm specifically addressing optics and its impact on a light's output and LED choice.

I set a realistic expectation for the EB1 and like my new EB1. Unlike some who continuously squawk about their dissatisfaction with not having perfectly flat regulation in a high performance light that has not yet a true competitor. I would LOVE to see a Malkoff light that kicks the EB1's rear with TIR, multi mode, single cell, 285 lumens, flat output for an hour, makes coffee, vaccums the floor, perfect anodizing, etc etc, but I have been around LEDs light enough to know what to expect.

In the Surefire threads we can talk about some hypothetical Surefire engineer who somehow owes everyone an apology for doing their best, but that kind of talk will hit home closer with Malkoff lights. I have been buying Gene's lights since the very first M60s and will continue to do so.

The EB1 without good output regulation is not for me. I will wait till somebody sells cheap on the market place, and then have it modded. For now, my old E1B, and E1B lego with a VME/M31N more than meets my needs.

You were pretty vocal in that thread. It's good that you like Malkoff lights. But we are talking about two very different topics.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great News!!!!! :thumbsup:

Since Gene is welcoming input, here is mine...

No strobe.
Yes to optics.
Low first switch.
Single mode only availability.

...and Built to survive (and tell the stories of) those occasional rides to H&B!

:paypal:

Glock 22

Enlightened
I believe this up coming MDC wil blow the Surefire EB1 out of the water. This is going to get a great light, because Gene takes pride in his work and he not going to give us something that not got good regulation like the EB1. I'm really looking forword to this new Malkoff creation, beside the fact I have 15 Malkoff Devices and one more want hurt. I also wish he would go back and use some optics in his Drop-Ins, hopefully you'll see a MDC with one in it.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I want one. I prefer single mode, two-stage switch, or a similar head or tail twist similar to existing light (I know this may not be possible because of the smaller size). I like the CR123 form factor, and would be interested in Li-rechargeables.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a problem with me, let's deal with thru PM, or the moderators. Otherwise, leave this kind of crap out of this thread.

Read my post again, I'm specifically addressing optics and its impact on a light's output and LED choice.

I set a realistic expectation for the EB1 and like my new EB1. Unlike some who continuously squawk about their dissatisfaction with not having perfectly flat regulation in a high performance light that has not yet a true competitor. I would LOVE to see a Malkoff light that kicks the EB1's rear with TIR, multi mode, single cell, 285 lumens, flat output for an hour, makes coffee, vaccums the floor, perfect anodizing, etc etc, but I have been around LEDs light enough to know what to expect.

In the Surefire threads we can talk about some hypothetical Surefire engineer who somehow owes everyone an apology for doing their best, but that kind of talk will hit home closer with Malkoff lights. I have been buying Gene's lights since the very first M60s and will continue to do so.

You were pretty vocal in that thread. It's good that you like Malkoff lights. But we are talking about two very different topics.

Last edited by a moderator:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have a problem with me, let's deal with thru PM, or the moderators. Otherwise, leave this kind of crap out of this thread.

I wasn't even addressing you in my first post. So please take your own advice(s).

And your language is not very nice for a family oriented forum. I would prefer to let the moderators enjoy their holidays without having to be bothered.

I'm voicing my view on all the popular demand for TIR optics for the new light. If you would like to discuss whether or not given Gene's prospective specs on this light, an optic would be a realistic choice for the new MDC, please do chime in. THe EB1 release gives us valuable lessons on what's possible right now as far as what we can expect out of one cell, 200+ lumen, TIR lights.

I'm saying given the EB1's release, we should set realistic expectations on what can be achieved right now. Let's have a productive conversation on that, shall we?

Last edited by a moderator: