New Malkoff MDC in the works.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

On one of my MD2s, the head and tail are black and the body is slightly purple (in bright light). I don't notice it at night and it works perfectly.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is common for black anodizing to come out with some purplish hue when the light hits it the right way. It doesn't always have it, but the anodizers don't guarantee that it won't, and so the batch gets anodized and you take what you get unless you want to strip it and have it re-done.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

Sometimes my black Malkoffs do not match, but I have had four pink ones and they have all been very well matched. If you hold them up next to each other they vary slightly, but head, body and tail have all been spot on.

I got used to HA mismatch on my Surefires, so a little bit of a purplish black does not bother me at all.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with Orange, Then you don't have to worry color mismatches..
IMG-20130608-00510.jpg

Mortar

Newly Enlightened
I got my first Malkoff today. it was the MDC HA 1AA and the first thing I did was take the AA battery that came with it out and stuck a 14500 in it. That thing is awesome. I have a feeling I know where a lot of money will be going before long.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my MDC aa body and neutral tinted 3,4-5V head today. The body seemed to have a scratch all along the body at first. Under closer inspection is was only some bare alu marks. It's like a pencil mark but of alu and harder to rub off, but it's gone now :) The head match the body really well. Tint is great, a bit warm, slightly pink'ish, not that far off from a old throwy m30w that i love. Compared with a true warm led, it wont look warm, but compared with other neutrals, it looks warmer:thumbsup:.

Small and bright, but i did'nt like the pwm. Current controlled, or a hi/lo ring would have been perfect for me. I was aware of the pwm when i bought the mdc head, but i really wanted a aa tube :) Not really slow pwm, (but not as fast as a quark mini at around 2200Hz). I like the pwm lights to be faster than my quark minis, or it will be too easy to spot flicker in reflections when im in motion.

Got a m60wlf + vme on the aa tube using a 14500. And a early model (two pice) of the little twisty 123 tube + 16340 with the MDC head. It's so cute and tiny with a zebralight h30 rubber clip. I like the flat sides on the mdc head better for a twisty compared to the round wme head. It's like a quark mini-x on stereoids, but feels as solid as a brick, and no blinky modes :)

The li-on head runs fine on 2xaa eneloop xxx. Dimmer, but works. Dont know how far it will drain them.

Last edited:

arcane

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting on the MDC HA SHO 1CR123 Nichia 219 version as well.

maybe we could get Craig (Illumination Supply) to get a special batch made. :eek:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm waiting on the MDC HA SHO 1CR123 Nichia 219 version as well.

maybe we could get Craig (Illumination Supply) to get a special batch made. :eek:
I'm in for a three speed version :thumbsup:

Norm

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
The MD2's head is 1.22", or 1 7/32", or 31.0 mm in diameter across the entire length. Both the body and tailcap at the widest areas is exactly 1", or 25.4 mm in diameter.

The MDC's head is 1.029", or 1 1/32", or 26.1 mm in diameter at the bezel, and it tapers down to exactly 1", or 25.4 mm at the body. The body's narrow section is .798", or 51/64", or 20.3 mm across the entire length. The tail section is .897", or 22.8 mm across the entire length.

The MD2 length is 5.072", or 128.9 mm, while the MDC is 3.709", or 94.1 mm.

Grizz

Grizz, What is the weight of the MDC head? Ounces & / or grams if you can accomodate please. Also, how long is it? Thanks,L.D.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to help out, but I'm on vacation this week. I brought the MDC, but not my calipers or scale. I'll see what I can do.

Grizz

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Got my MDC aa body and neutral tinted 3,4-5V head today. The body seemed to have a scratch all along the body at first. Under closer inspection is was only some bare alu marks. It's like a pencil mark but of alu and harder to rub off, but it's gone now :) The head match the body really well. Tint is great, a bit warm, slightly pink'ish, not that far off from a old throwy m30w that i love. Compared with a true warm led, it wont look warm, but compared with other neutrals, it looks warmer:thumbsup:.

Small and bright, but i did'nt like the pwm. Current controlled, or a hi/lo ring would have been perfect for me. I was aware of the pwm when i bought the mdc head, but i really wanted a aa tube :) Not really slow pwm, (but not as fast as a quark mini at around 2200Hz). I like the pwm lights to be faster than my quark minis, or it will be too easy to spot flicker in reflections when im in motion.

Got a m60wlf + vme on the aa tube using a 14500. And a early model (two pice) of the little twisty 123 tube + 16340 with the MDC head. It's so cute and tiny with a zebralight h30 rubber clip. I like the flat sides on the mdc head better for a twisty compared to the round wme head. It's like a quark mini-x on stereoids, but feels as solid as a brick, and no blinky modes :)

The li-on head runs fine on 2xaa eneloop xxx. Dimmer, but works. Dont know how far it will drain them.

I bought a blue and an orange MDC when they first came out, and the PWM and long memory when switching modes caused me to sell them both. I picked up an MDC SHO (and another for my dad) and love the thing. If the single mode came out as an LL model (especially in warm or in neutral) I would buy them all and probably never have to wonder what light to put in my pocket in the morning ever again! :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a vme head and a singlemode malkoff drop in + a mdc tube. You can choose anything from a LLLL to a SHO in different tints :) right now im using a 219 LLLL with the aa tube and a 14500. My m30w runs on a single aa no problems.

billygoat

Newly Enlightened
Received my new Malkoff MDC HA CR123 yesterday. Surprised at how short it is (I'm used to the slightly longer Surefire Backup); but throw is very strong. Case color is uniform across the unit.