New Malkoff MDC in the works.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a vme head and a singlemode malkoff drop in + a mdc tube. You can choose anything from a LLLL to a SHO in different tints :) right now im using a 219 LLLL with the aa tube and a 14500. My m30w runs on a single aa no problems.

I was thinking about doing that ...but will probably get the VME head and the complete MDC AA to go with my MDC 123. Then I could run an M31 219 on a CR123a, or an M61 219 on an RCR or 14500 (though not for very long, I suspect) and have the standard MDC AA head, which does have some appeal...like an E1B with a more generally useful beam, and runnable on Eneloops. I'd really like to see the MDC AA with high, low and low-low instead of strobe, and in the "N" or "219" version, but until then Gene may yet get more of my money. :)

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got both of the new MDC heads. I put the 3.4-5 volt head on a SF E2D body with a Z68 tailcap powered by an AW 17670. It makes a bright compact light that tailstands and feels great to my clumsy hands. The downside is that I probably can't power it with primaries when the rechargeable battery is depleted. Unless, I get a dummy CR123A cell, right?

Looking at Gene's product listing once again it says:

This dropin was designed for use with a single Li-ion protected rechargeable cell or two primary CR123A batteries.

Not sure if the two primary battery option is a change to the listing or if I just missed it first time around.

Has anyone actually tried the MDC HA LMH Li-ion 3.4-5 volt [sic] Rechargeable Head with two primary CR123A's? I always like using rechargeables with the option of using primaries for backup if I forget the charger or the power is out for a while.

I've carried the MDC Li-ion head on the SF E2D body for the past few weeks. I recently found a cracked landing light on an airliner that a mechanic had missed on his walk around inspection. The MDC had just enough throw to see the crack high up in the wing root fairing, the mechanic's UltraFire didn't quite show the crack. The maintenance supervisor was apologetic about his team not finding the defect first. These folks were Germans and they take a lot of pride in their work which I really appreciate.

The MDC Li-ion head on the E2D body is similar in form factor to the SF EB2, pocketable for every day carry but with enough power for a serious work light. I like it. :thumbsup:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Vox,

Gene sent out an e-mail a few weeks ago announcing the change (quoted below):

"We have just updated the specs on the M361-LMH, M361N-LMH, MDC LMH, and Neutral MDC LMH Heads to include the use of two CR123A primaries. The changes are retroactive"

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen any comparison pictures yet,

So is the mdc head smaller than the Valiant head? I'm trying to figure out which one to get. If they are the same size it would seem to make more sense to just get the module and put it in a Valiant head for the versatility. Price would be a bit higher, but worth it I think.

Does anyone have both that can chime in?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen any comparison pictures yet,

So is the mdc head smaller than the Valiant head? I'm trying to figure out which one to get. If they are the same size it would seem to make more sense to just get the module and put it in a Valiant head for the versatility. Price would be a bit higher, but worth it I think.

Does anyone have both that can chime in?

Here's a picture from earlier in this thread:

Works like a charm both ways, great thinking! :)

Another observation, although there is a small gap with the MD2 head, the Valiant Concepts head there is no gap whatsoever. Cool!

9B90896E-A7E3-4BFE-AAAA-FABF80E8C5E6-15541-0000105711381792.jpg

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, but thanks for reposting that. I guess it is a bit smaller. Also has a shorter debounce time, which for me is good. I think the 5sec of the p60 module is way too long. I guess I'll order a neutral head.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Vox,

Gene sent out an e-mail a few weeks ago announcing the change (quoted below):

"We have just updated the specs on the M361-LMH, M361N-LMH, MDC LMH, and Neutral MDC LMH Heads to include the use of two CR123A primaries. The changes are retroactive"

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Like Robin24k I've been busy with my day job and somehow missed the update.

I need to rearrange my priorities. :)

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email from Malkoff. H-L-Strobe MDCs are on clearance for $49-$55 :party:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Just got an email from Malkoff. H-L-Strobe MDCs are on clearance for $49-$55 :party:
Nice.

But this really hurts early adopters especially those of us who pay expensive overseas shipping, I've had my EDC for sale in the Marketplace for some time as it was replaced with the latter model, I guess there's a lesson to be learnt, I won't be jumping in quite so quick in the future.

Norm

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Maybe the Hi/Low/Low-Low-Low and/orNeutral or High CRI MDC is coming. :)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.

But this really hurts early adopters especially those of us who pay expensive overseas shipping, I've had my EDC for sale in the Marketplace for some time as it was replaced with the latter model, I guess there's a lesson to be learnt, I won't be jumping in quite so quick in the future.

Norm

I think the offer only applies to less than a handful units. So the early adopters will be fine.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already all that's left is one red CR123 model.

:EDIT: And then there were none...

Last edited:

tje803

Newly Enlightened
All those MDCs sold out quick! I'm glad I was able to grab a 1AA MDC shortly after receiving the email from Gene about the sale.

full m3tal

Newly Enlightened
And I had just bought an orange AA last week.....:ohgeez:....full price.

But I have no problem w/ that at all (since something new, or LMH is next in all forms). And, I will be buying whatever new, if anyting, when it becomes available more than likey. I can't stop.

Last edited:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to the select few that managed to buy it at a special price.

I bought mine at full price but I am glad to see Gene move forward to an improved iteration. After all, he is listening to us.