New Malkoff MDC in the works.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone try HDS universal clip?

Or perhaps one that slides onto the head with the bezel up?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screws do look close to the edge. It looks as if it will tailstand much better though.
I must say, those orange colored MDC's are real nice! Very fine looking light indeed.
I'd like to see more of those colored lights!

Last edited:

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
MDC TAC HA - HI-MED-LOW ...... inbound!

Super stoked, had no idea the MDC line up has taken such large strides since they were first introduced.

Im looking for clip alternatives or even lanyard ideas....anything fresh out there? Need FLAT tail standing.

You have opened my eyes to other brands I thankyou! I want this light Let me know when you get tired of it hehe.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
It tailstands just fine.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just to be clear, we are talking flat surface to flat surface tailstanding with the vital gear clip correct? Thanks!

You have opened my eyes to other brands I thankyou! I want this light Let me know when you get tired of it hehe.

Cool!

Malkoff - HDS - McGizmo. What more could one want?

On a side note in regards to the TAC HA - UI. I used to be part of the majority(?) that always preferred low first, until I bought a light that started on Hi....99% of the time I found max lumens for a given task much more useful with a compact light, especially in the daylight or with ambient lighting, or even for emergencies....Then the prepper in me says I must have a light that starts on low as to save that insignificant 2 minutes of runtime per cell I lost starting the light in high...need to ration those 2 minutes! /s Then of course when the apocalypse comes, I will always need a light to start in low because, you know....I will magically turn into a ninja and will require low light signature to sneak up on the bad guys like captain america, even though Im not even in good enough shape to peel an orange without feeling winded.... but thats trivial compared to the advantage of being invisible because my flashlight starts in low.

THAT WAS A JOKE, but many of folk have odd rationalizations of low first...myself once included.....of course there is not killing your night vision which is a valid concern, but once you own a light that starts in high, it becomes second nature to hold it to your chest and toggle modes.... My point? Hi to low is underrated, especially on smaller lights like the the MDC with an output of 250... although, of course, low to high does have it's place. Another important Hi to low advantage is an emergency, you are in an movie theater which requires low light to find that noise that just fell out of your pocket... a situation in which you have plenty of time to "chest toggle" modes. On the other end you are in a movie theatre or wherever and you find yourself in an emergency that needs bright NOW to exit quickly and safely, in moments of stress, toggling modes will be the last thing on your mind....just some food for thought.

Back to the topic.....it should be here any hour. I will most definitely report back.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to beat a dead horse, but just to be clear, we are talking flat surface to flat surface tailstanding with the vital gear clip correct? Thanks!

Cool!

Malkoff - HDS - McGizmo. What more could one want?

On a side note in regards to the TAC HA - UI. I used to be part of the majority(?) that always preferred low first, until I bought a light that started on Hi....99% of the time I found max lumens for a given task much more useful with a compact light, especially in the daylight or with ambient lighting, or even for emergencies....Then the prepper in me says I must have a light that starts on low as to save that insignificant 2 minutes of runtime per cell I lost starting the light in high...need to ration those 2 minutes! /s Then of course when the apocalypse comes, I will always need a light to start in low because, you know....I will magically turn into a ninja and will require low light signature to sneak up on the bad guys like captain america, even though Im not even in good enough shape to peel an orange without feeling winded.... but thats trivial compared to the advantage of being invisible because my flashlight starts in low.

THAT WAS A JOKE, but many of folk have odd rationalizations of low first...myself once included.....of course there is not killing your night vision which is a valid concern, but once you own a light that starts in high, it becomes second nature to hold it to your chest and toggle modes.... My point? Hi to low is underrated, especially on smaller lights like the the MDC with an output of 250... although, of course, low to high does have it's place. Another important Hi to low advantage is an emergency, you are in an movie theater which requires low light to find that noise that just fell out of your pocket... a situation in which you have plenty of time to "chest toggle" modes. On the other end you are in a movie theatre or wherever and you find yourself in an emergency that needs bright NOW to exit quickly and safely, in moments of stress, toggling modes will be the last thing on your mind....just some food for thought.

Back to the topic.....it should be here any hour. I will most definitely report back.
All of this of course just reinforces that the MD-2 is such a great light with a great U.I. too!
This is why together you have a system for carry that caters to all needs for me.

I am curious to see what you think of the new light too as I just received the 2aa version and love almost everything about it especially the new clip design and the tail standing it brings.

My power was out this week in 3 different occasions and the 2aa MDC is almost ideal for me standing on a table bouncing light off the ceiling and I was reminded of why I wanted it to come along so badly!
The tint is really nice,white but not harsh and I ran it like this on LL almost all the time too.

I have several Lanterns including a few that I got last week too but they all are more distracting in a way on use than the complete indirect light provided by the bounced MDC.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
MD2 is a great light. Unfortunately I will be parting ways with mine due to the new MDC..... Tight budget at the moment.

I promised a follow up. I really dig it so far. I need a couple more days with it.

That said, if Malkoff was having a sale & the MDC was $85.00 ( WINK WINK ) I would highly recommend picking one up. :whistle:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welp, I've had enough time with the light for a micro review. For those that don't like to read....In short, this is my new do everything light. I value durability, reliability, water resistance, runtime & US manufacturing. The MDC TAC HA ( Hi-Med-Lo ) scratches that itch and then some. If you value these attributes, buy one, then buy another and then grab one more. Review Over. :grin2:

Form Factor:
Out of every light I have had this is now my favorite. It is small and lightweight with just enough heft to know it can take a beating or dish one out. This is very much a Malkoff. The fit and finish is great. The machining is excellent and there is something that feels high end, almost luxurious when screwing in the bezel ring. The tolerances are nice and tight and there is not a loose thread to be found anywhere on the entire light, ROCK SOLID. That said, if you have an interest in removing the bezel for any reason I highly recommend spending the $20 bucks to pick up the MDC bezel tool. Well worth it and it functions perfectly without scratching up your light trying to get the bezel out. I also run the light clipless as I like that it rides at the bottom of my pocket on my strong side with my Spyderco Domino comfortably clipped above it with the compact size of the MDC preventing them from clanking together. The included clip protrudes past the tailcap for deep carry and it does tailstand although at an angle. At first I thought a better tailstanding clip may be good, but the longer it rides at the bottom of my pocket unnoticeably, the more I like running clipless. If you absolutely have to have a flat clip there are options out there with some searching.

The UI:
I admire Gene for rolling the dice and coming up with what I consider a very unique and extremely useful UI design. No risk, no gain right? He gambled, he won. Well done. The breakdown: If you leave the light ON longer than 7/10 of a second, the next time you turn it ON it will start in HIGH. If you press the switch and it's less than 7/10 of a second the light will cycle to the next mode. There is no time limit for the light to be OFF to cycle to the next mode. This is especially handy if you require the next time your light comes on to be @ 3 lumens. You simply quick press to medium and the next time you go to turn it ON, it will advance 1 mode and turn ON in LOW. Now, this almost seems to not make sense ( this is where I should have paid attention in reading comprehension rather than throwing pencils in the ceiling. ) as it's stated on the website "the light will always start in high". This is true…The default is HIGH in the normal course of use. You turn the light on and use it for a few seconds or longer than 7/10's and the next time you turn it on, it will be HIGH. So in a scenario of lets say, an LEO, when you use your light it's very likely longer than 7/10 of a second. You then turn the light off, but when you need it again and turn it on, it will come on in high. In short, it took me a little time to get used to, but now that I have, I find it to be a brilliant & simple design and like it quite a bit. It's completely second nature now, and I am able to operate the light instantly with muscle memory. For those that require a true single mode tactical light there is also the MDC SHO available, 50-60 minutes of a FULL 250 lumens. I will hopefully be getting one of these as well if I can.

Runtime:
Excellent. High is 50-60 minutes of a solid 250 lumens with a looong taper. Medium seems accurate at 25 lumens for 20 hours and even though I haven't had the opportunity, I have no doubt about low @ 3 lumens for 100 Hrs. This light is an absolute vampire. My guess, exceeding those regulated runtimes your likely to still have quite a bit of light. I ran the cell on high and got around 6 hrs of lumen to sub-lumen output after the initial 1 HR of regulation. Let the cell rest even after it goes out and I have no idea how much more you can get out of it. Lets just say the total runtime exceeded my patience of trying to determine what it might be. Apocalypse approved. Very Nice.

Waterproofyness:
The MDC is sealed for weather. In my testing, you are just fine in any type of weather. Beyond that I have subjected it to a few dunks with no ill effect's. One thing to mention, if you remove the bezel ring to swap bezels or simply out of curiosity, be sure you put the o'ring in after the lens. When tightened, the back of the bezel is designed to spread the o'ring against the lens and the sides of the head to form a seal. At a later date, I may or may not provide more testing data in regards to submersion, but for now, Im content with weatherproof & very water resistant. It performs as advertised - no prob Bob.

In closing:
This is now my do all light. It rides with me wherever I go and also serves 6 or so Hrs of 25 lumen candle mode per night. I have nothing to offer in criticism in regards to the MDC. I do however have something positive.

The MDC TAC HA is another EXCEPTIONAL offering from Malkoff.

HIGHLY recommended, VERY well done.

110% Forrest Approved.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
The three notches in the bezel presenting in the beam just sucks. Malkoff MDC is far from perfect.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just took a quick look at these lights on the Malkoff site. Why are some protected from reverse polarity while others are not? MDC CR123 protected, MDC CR123 SHO not protected, MDC CR123 TAC protected, M300T head for MDC not protected. Seems odd, am I missing something?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks rickyro, yes, we get it. Please, for the love of all that's Holy, we get it. We know you don't like it, or Malkoffs site, as you've made that perfectly clear in multiple other posts. Please, please, please, move along now. Thank you

rickyro

Enlightened
Thanks rickyro, yes, we get it. Please, for the love of all that's Holy, we get it. We know you don't like it, or Malkoffs site, as you've made that perfectly clear in multiple other posts. Please, please, please, move along now. Thank you

Why? Are you American made and proud fans so afraid of some truth? Do you want to live in the Anderson's new cloth?

I like my two Malkoff lights. I found one great use for the 2AA body, to work together with EB1 head.

Why Malkoff did bother to change their naming? Isn't my advices given out in good faith? Aren't the notches in the beam ugly? Why nobody mention it here? Is some cheap Chinese maker doing this?

Quite pathetic.

rickyro

Enlightened
Just took a quick look at these lights on the Malkoff site. Why are some protected from reverse polarity while others are not? MDC CR123 protected, MDC CR123 SHO not protected, MDC CR123 TAC protected, M300T head for MDC not protected. Seems odd, am I missing something?

Don't say it here. If you do not understand or accept, it is your fault. Please move along now. Oh, and thank you. How civilized!