New Malkoff MDC in the works.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Sounds like a neutral tint MDC with a TIR lens for max throw.

TIR? I'm 99% sure gene will stick with acrylic because it doesn't shatter. After all, why have a fully potted head if the lens just shatters! LOL! I also apologize if TIR is acyrlic...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like other manufacturers, Malkoffs are also subject to the tint/CCT lottery. I'd say that even 5500 is likely to be too low of a number, and could easily be 5700-6000K.

Among all my XP-G2 M61s, there are only two that are better than my E2/Scout. One is my older M61 SHO that I thought couldn't be surpassed, until I received a standard M61 that's perfectly white. I prefer these two to my Ns, which says a lot.

BloodCleanSoul

Enlightened
Do the tails come off the the MDC bodies or are they one piece? Is it possible to put a deep carry clip/ tail combo from the 1 CR123 body onto the 2 CR123 body for deeper carry? I searched but have found nothing....

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The body and tailcap are all one. Only the head/bezel separates.
I would imagine that if you found a clip with screws and mounts that are the same as the OEM, then you could retrofit it to the MDC.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
N is for normally for neutral.

With the Malkoff.... N is for a nice creamy beam somewhere between the yellow of warm and the blue of many emitters.

I love his W drop ins...

But...
When walking around in darkness and having to suddenly pop on your light to see what the hub-bub is about, the N seems to poke a hole in darkness better than the W.
Which in turn exudes a bit more confidence vs the cool beam of some emitters where your faced with "holy crap I'm being blinded by my own light" due to flash back.

For regular use I like the W. In my self defense lights I prefer his N emitters.
Yet the standard tint of any of the M60's aint bad at all.

Last edited:

free2game

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know the diameter of the AA tube? I've not been able to find the measure online. I've been looking to try to make a AA light to fit into an Elzetta FSB mount for an AR15. Says it needs a min of a .7 inch body. I've actually been able to fit a AA mini maglite, though that's not really a weapons light durable light. Also I should be able to take the head from a 123 SHO MDC and throw a 2AA body and the voltage should be enough right? If I decided to put 2 14500s in it wouldn't damage the light either right?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read here that the outer diameter is the same for CR123 and AA bodies, so the diameter of the AA body is .800 inch. The tail section measure .900 inch so it will probably be able to be inserted into the mount, as long as the clip is removed. Aimpoint M4s use AA cells, so it seems that lithium primaries should be an acceptable (though not ideal) power source for the AR platform.

The CR123 SHO head will work fine with two AA lithium or alkaline batteries. It will NOT work with any number of Li-Ion 14500 batteries. The maximum allowed voltage is specified on the product page as 3.3 volts.

Does your AR have a sling loop at the rear of the FSB? If so, activating the shrouded tailcap of the MDC body may be problematic.

Surefire E2D, E, L, etc bodies are easy to find and work well with the Malkoff E2/Scout head, which has a voltage range of 3.4 to 9 volts, and runs in direct drive below 3.4 volts. As shown in an Elzetta video, a light with an exposed switch can be activated by pressing on the swivel, which contacts the switch. This may work with the E series like it does with the Elzettas.

What's your reasoning behind the desire to use AAs? Even on an AR with an Aimpoint using an AA cell, I'm now willing to go with AA cells, since all my other weapon lights use CR123s.

Last edited:

free2game

Newly Enlightened
I read here that the outer diameter is the same for CR123 and AA bodies, so the diameter of the AA body is .800 inch. The tail section measure .900 inch so it will probably be able to be inserted into the mount, as long as the clip is removed. Aimpoint M4s use AA cells, so it seems that lithium primaries should be an acceptable (though not ideal) power source for the AR platform.

The CR123 SHO head will work fine with two AA lithium or alkaline batteries. It will NOT work with any number of Li-Ion 14500 batteries. The maximum allowed voltage is specified on the product page as 3.3 volts.

Does your AR have a sling loop at the rear of the FSB? If so, activating the shrouded tailcap of the MDC body may be problematic.

Surefire E2D, E, L, etc bodies are easy to find and work well with the Malkoff E2/Scout head, which has a voltage range of 3.4 to 9 volts, and runs in direct drive below 3.4 volts. As shown in an Elzetta video, a light with an exposed switch can be activated by pressing on the swivel, which contacts the switch. This may work with the E series like it does with the Elzettas.

What's your reasoning behind the desire to use AAs? Even on an AR with an Aimpoint using an AA cell, I'm now willing to go with AA cells, since all my other weapon lights use CR123s.
Whole idea I'm throwing around is a tac light that I can detach and use and also uses a type of battery that you can find anywhere. There's almost no AA single output tactical lights really. The idea of using the E2 body is good since it has a proud button. Also I use a single point sling and have the front sling swivel removed.