New Malkoff MDC in the works.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know the diameter of the AA tube? I've not been able to find the measure online. I've been looking to try to make a AA light to fit into an Elzetta FSB mount for an AR15. Says it needs a min of a .7 inch body. I've actually been able to fit a AA mini maglite, though that's not really a weapons light durable light. Also I should be able to take the head from a 123 SHO MDC and throw a 2AA body and the voltage should be enough right? If I decided to put 2 14500s in it wouldn't damage the light either right?
Whole idea I'm throwing around is a tac light that I can detach and use and also uses a type of battery that you can find anywhere. There's almost no AA single output tactical lights really. The idea of using the E2 body is good since it has a proud button. Also I use a single point sling and have the front sling swivel removed.
Not Malkoff, but Surefire M600AA is single mode, has rail accessories, is quick detachable, and you can go pressure switch or tail cap.

I agree, AA weapon lights are super rare. Maybe old Gene can throw a turbo head on it so you can squash those alkies flat in no time. :)

free2game

Newly Enlightened
Not Malkoff, but Surefire M600AA is single mode, has rail accessories, is quick detachable, and you can go pressure switch or tail cap.

I agree, AA weapon lights are super rare. Maybe old Gene can throw a turbo head on it so you can squash those alkies flat in no time. :)
Was looking at the surefire. Output is kind of mediocre at 200 vs 250 for the malkoff. Even with buying a mount, 123 sho mdc, and the 2aa body it's still $80 less that the surefire.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In operation, the M61/MDC and Surefire TIR-equipped lights are totally different animals. The M61 has lots of spill light and is ideal for indoor and very close range outdoor use. The Surefire has very little spill, with all the photons focused into a relatively small spot. It is ideal for outdoor use at distances greater than 30 yards.

For use with two AAs you should consider the Malkoff E1T/Scout M300 head if usage will include mid to long range outdoor scenarios. I have the higher voltage 500 lumen M61HOT version of it, and for outdoor weapon use, it's absolutely outstanding. It's currently living on my primary home defense 6.8 AR, which speaks volumes regarding it's effectiveness. It's got a lot more spill than a KX2C, while delivering roughly twice the lux as the KX2C. The E1T will match the KX2C's lux, and should provide usefully more spill.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without any knurling, my MDC CR123 was slippery and difficult to grip -- especially with a bit of arthritis. A section of heat shrink tubing around the barrel helped.

mdc-cr123-heatshrink.jpg

rickyro

Enlightened
Without any knurling, my MDC CR123 was slippery and difficult to grip -- especially with a bit of arthritis. A section of heat shrink tubing around the barrel helped.

mdc-cr123-heatshrink.jpg

Same problem with my MDC 2AA body. Hope Malkoff is going to do something by adding some knurling or whatever.

Lantern32

Enlightened
What about a roughly 500+ lumen light with a lot of heat sinking? That would be really neat. Just imagine pulling out your little beast, and the entire head has fins on it. That would be cool! Or a Malkoff available in different colors? what about a Malkoff with one of those bumpy knurling designs, where its a bunch of little bumps. I believe some surefire lights have this type of knurling. Or you could put tritium slots in the light! Sorry, just feeling a little spontaneous right now.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey, if you want to go wild why not a triple? Except that is really not what Malkoff has ever been about.

worrptangl

Newly Enlightened
Man this thread was long and I didn't get through it all but I'm looking to place an order for an MDC now!

jdboy

Enlightened
Wow. JDBoy, did you turn that?

I'd love to say I did but sadly it's beyond my skillset. I was lucky enough to purchase this off eBay but the listing did say that it was made by someone off CPF. And yes it's Ti, now I need (want) a Ti or SS bezel ring for the MDC head. I like the 17500 form factor and it adds a little weight to the light as well, which I like.

jdboy

Enlightened
Nope, the MDC is smaller than 1".

Correct for the most part ;), the entire length of the head is 1" diameter roughly, the body steps down and then steps back up to around 7/8" diameter for the length of the tail section. The MDC works perfectly in a Hogo holster made for an HDS. Also the same holster can be used for a 3P or 6P in the body down/bezel up configuration.

Last edited: