New Surefire E2D Defender 1000 lumens - single and dual outputs

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my friends got interested in this lantern. He asked me to know from the owners, can this defender normal work on high level from 1 * 16650? He has a body Malkoff MDC Bodyguard 18650 and he thinks to put there the head of this defender. But there is a possibility that it will not work from 3.7 V, because the old revision from 500 lm (or 600?) did not turn on on 16650 battery.

SoCalLumen

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the Surefire E2D Defender 1000/5 and it's an amazing flashlight. The build quality is next to done and the output is incredible. I keep this on my belt and use a modified Maglite for larger search areas, but this thing does everything I need perfectly. The 5 lumens comes in really handy when filling in some paperwork.

Some users don't like the crenulated bezel, but I like it and have used it in the past with good results.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
EBB5-C3-D7-4068-432-F-9872-A8-E6-B785-F869.jpg

Does this look legitimate to you all?

Yep she was. 😁

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So I'm mainly a Malkoff guy now although I do have many SF. I picked up this light kinda on a whim just to check it out. First I find it pretty much a Special purpose light.Always high first. Nothing I could use for EDC. But the beam and more so the output is highly impressive. This thing is at the very least as bright as my M91! I'm sure it won't hold that level for to long but for a tactical application it's probably ideal. I like it but not sure where or if it fits into my needs. Not a bad light tho. Just my 2 cents.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my friends got interested in this lantern. He asked me to know from the owners, can this defender normal work on high level from 1 * 16650? He has a body Malkoff MDC Bodyguard 18650 and he thinks to put there the head of this defender. But there is a possibility that it will not work from 3.7 V, because the old revision from 500 lm (or 600?) did not turn on on 16650 battery.

This one works OK, but not at 1000lm, of course. It emits something like 500-600lm.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone compare the tint & CCT between the different models/generations of this light(200, 500, 600, & 1000lumen)? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I can't comment on any of that sorry and hate to change topics here but can or has anyone done a current draw with there light on two primaries? Mine was pulling quite a bit an am wondering if they are all like this.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
It is expected to pull quite a bit to achieve the 1000 lumens. At least for the EDCL2-T it pulls a lot, to the point of warming up the batteries. What are the numbers you got?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
1.7 -1.8 amps Off of 2X123's. Considering 1.5 amps continual is max that's recommend for 123 primaries I'm not sure it's a good thing. I know the risk of anything going wrong is slim but you would think that a big old company like that should know better then to push it that hard just to get the output.Its a good light and dam if it doesn't have the throw and beam I love but I gifted it away with the warning to only use 16650 in it of course. I was more concerned with it failing on me then anything else.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, it's in the same ballpark as the EXCL2-T. A lot of people are afraid to use CR123 on those for longer periods of time, they get really warm. But at least until now we haven't heard any incidents.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said before, don't sweat it guys and just use your lights. You probably take far more risk getting into your vehicle every morning(or even leaving your house for that matter). It's kind of funny as SF is marketed mainly towards people who routinely put their lives at risk yet some seam scared of a couple of CR123's lol. I am sure SF thoroughly tests their products(especially considering its target market) as they don't want a lawsuit nor the bad publicity of an incident. Worst case scenario you get a couple of light burns and SF buys you a new house lol.

Use & abuse them folks, that's what they are designed for and the reason for the high pricetag.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh trust me I have said for years that issues with primary 123's are a million to one that something bad will happen. The high current draw was only one reason I got rid of it.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh trust me I have said for years that issues with primary 123's are a million to one that something bad will happen. The high current draw was only one reason I got rid of it.
Yep, not to mention even if the batteries vent(I would suspect closer to one billion or even trillion to one), I would guess it would just pop the switch boot and vent through that(it's not like SF uses a sealed aluminium body with no weak points).

Please could you tell us the other reasons you got rid of it as it may help some with their buying decisions. Thanks TG[emoji106].

Also, I'm still looking for a comparison of the different models tints and CCT's if anyone has owned any of them to compare. Thanks guys.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well first surefire makes a great light so I'm not trying to start anything here but as you asked. The high current draw was an issue. Not because I thought it was dangerous but because that's how they get 1000 lumens out of there lights. Other companies do this without having to push the batteries hard to get the results. Second was build quality. I have quite a few SF lights as well as another manufacturer that I'm rather fond of and When I compare the lights side by side there really was no comparison. I'm sure it's a pretty rugged light but wall thickness bezel thickness and heft was just not there for me.

LTBL777

Newly Enlightened
Like I said before, don't sweat it guys and just use your lights. You probably take far more risk getting into your vehicle every morning(or even leaving your house for that matter). It's kind of funny as SF is marketed mainly towards people who routinely put their lives at risk yet some seam scared of a couple of CR123's lol. I am sure SF thoroughly tests their products(especially considering its target market) as they don't want a lawsuit nor the bad publicity of an incident. Worst case scenario you get a couple of light burns and SF buys you a new house lol.

Use & abuse them folks, that's what they are designed for and the reason for the high pricetag.

I say AMEN -

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
Surefire batteries also have built in heat and fault protection according to their website so as long as you use their batteries, it seems highly unlikely you will have any issues with the batteries. The batteries have a warning not to heat above 212F, which I seriously doubt it ever gets close to in use in any of their flashlights, so again it seems hard to imaging having any sort of issue. In an actual application, I would think their heat protection kicks in way before then.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well first surefire makes a great light so I'm not trying to start anything here but as you asked. The high current draw was an issue. Not because I thought it was dangerous but because that's how they get 1000 lumens out of there lights. Other companies do this without having to push the batteries hard to get the results. Second was build quality. I have quite a few SF lights as well as another manufacturer that I'm rather fond of and When I compare the lights side by side there really was no comparison. I'm sure it's a pretty rugged light but wall thickness bezel thickness and heft was just not there for me.
No problem, we should all be able to discuss the pros & cons of a light or brand civilly like mature adults(although I know that doesn't always happen around here[emoji16]). Yep, they are definitely pushing the limits of 2 x CR123's(I think any light pushing 1000+lumens off that fuel are). I think the size may limit driver size too. They are 2 favorite companies of mine too(if the other one is the one I'm thinking of[emoji6]). I think the wall & bezel thickness is more of a design feature though. The E-Series was designed to be super small and light while still being durable and packing a punch(it really was all the rage back in the day as I'm sure you know). You have to go up to the P/Z/G/C Series to get the original beefier body/bezel(yet still definitely not as beefy as some companies).

Like I said over in the Malkoff threads, I think we all need to keep in mind the history and lineage of SF. They invented much of what we have in the lighting world today and even the stuff they did nots lineage can often be traced back to their ideas. They are also arguably by far the most battle and time tested company on the market. Their lights have been thoroughly tested on battlefields around the world by a number of governments LEO, MIL, Government Agencies etc. They passed these tests with flying colours and are still actively deployed today(they are one of the only light companies in the world that's lights have NSN numbers too).

Then of course we need to look at our "actual" needs and personal use requirements vs. wants. I am as guilty as the next guy of enjoying finding the best built, toughest, and coolest ideas. But, from a durability standpoint, I really think there is an extremely small few of us that actually need or take advantage of the full durability even SF offers, let alone companies like Elzetta, Malkoff, etc. Now, that's not to say we should ever stop buying these awesome beasts[emoji16].

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
SF definitely started a lot of traits that we see in other lights today. I really like the older ones the best though. They just feel more solid not sure why or if that's even the case.Im more of an outdoors guy so when they stopped making lights for that category I really lost interest. But I still have quite a few and ya there tougher then one really needs.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF definitely started a lot of traits that we see in other lights today. I really like the older ones the best though. They just feel more solid not sure why or if that's even the case.Im more of an outdoors guy so when they stopped making lights for that category I really lost interest. But I still have quite a few and ya there tougher then one really needs.
Yeah, I agree, they are not as nice as they used to be. The older bodies have a nice aggressive knurling that is better then the new ones, I miss that. They also don't have that internal coating either. Many of their new lights don't interest me either unfortunately. There are some highlights still though, I'm pretty impressed with the EDCL-1T in particular. I never owned any of the "gas pedal" lights back in the day and it's definitely a unique interface. It also has amazing regulation and output for 1 x CR123/16340 as well as an interesting beam profile.

Last edited: