NEW Zebralight H603d, H603c, H603w shoot out

insanefred

Enlightened
I got my h603c in the mail today :twothumbs
It is looking great, the only problem I had was the ring around the front of the light worked as a small reflector and made an artifact in the center of the beam so I used a sharpie to fix it.

I think this light will make a great serious headlamp for whatever adventures I have.

yyFS8kwdCuC6SCzmcGdoY_JLwncjUThfhCQuEdGU10yq_n36XWE5sdhfoqM_wcRcq7qrd-Lv3ipO8atd36-aPUz4GK0D7nV-4xgtOwr_3MB4nyAT39nKutpg2fs1hploxRbYx8EGNRds8WVr5C-lTEwN2TgsID11Vl1YEFdDb0c79lthunRT1LnTHHvg4PUn4qnkBmlnEVpES8PW9Wwbzm_A8nF7H4Q4p-r0pfHMspuc-k_UAOvyn2nTqKl1R2WIvqlRnQX2r4CnzdzxMxqCsaWi_dQ9IAGrM8e3sI1Ofnl28QN3vDXr9q7Bf32lsZoziogB0RpmXV5tWabJW-wrOoaMHQ7fYU9Sk8uxcfFXD1AyDDrZWqSMGmsH6s0b-R16b-nTy-RhmxOLfb9WdxcHFziCdTFnzpjhx584pMCrCzoQAJIERJ1gqbmYQiJqCIuUW-9NIcdTk-cABHCT0XzgF5q28QxXnxbW4X84LtHbF0uKq1m8k0nb-3D04V_sL21NMFcEVQhMfAz24uB0tHhOAE0Kk_D5iWjtPMma6VHm23B5GO81MHvhcQAezM13Qc-5rDL6YNTxl1BifYm8QGAoJrjmfGJepak=w600-h800-no

Weird, it doesn't have lens in the front like the photos on Zebralights website?

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I got my h603c in the mail today :twothumbs
It is looking great, the only problem I had was the ring around the front of the light worked as a small reflector and made an artifact in the center of the beam so I used a sharpie to fix it. I think this light will make a great serious headlamp for whatever adventures I have.

The artifact is in the center? My light is coming soon. I hate to deface the light so soon. They should have anodize it black or something. Is artifact very noticeable on surface that's non white? I've seen a lot of the 602w beamshots from Stefano and I haven't notice anything like that. Did you post a picture? I can't seem to see it.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
The artifact is in the center? My light is coming soon. I hate to deface the light so soon. They should have anodize it black or something. Is artifact very noticeable on surface that's non white? I've seen a lot of the 602w beamshots from Stefano and I haven't notice anything like that. Did you post a picture? I can't seem to see it.
I did post a picture, I am not sure why you can't see it.

I did not take a picture of the beam before marking it but it was not too noticeable, it was 4 squares shaped like the LED probably 10% brighter then the rest. Also it looks like the bezel is SS so anodizing is not an option, they could just adjust the angle of their chamfer to fix it.

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
not sure why you can't see it.
You linked a private picture stored in Google. I can't see it either. Due to some permission issues Google is not allowing access to it for either my account or not logged in anonymous session. Try uploading photo to a free public service such as Imgur. It works perfectly for me.

I received two H603c's and see the artifact too. Will try a diffusion film as an alternative to marker.

Is artifact very noticeable on surface that's non white?
Not at all. Even on a white textured wall it took me some effort to see it. You need to move the beam side to side to recognize an uneven lighting. Artefact is almost invisible during normal headlamp use.

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
You linked a private picture stored in Google. I can't see it either. Due to some permission issues Google is not allowing access to it for either my account or not logged in anonymous session. Try uploading photo to a free public service such as Imgur. It works perfectly for me.

I received two H603c's and see the artifact too. Will try a diffusion film as an alternative to marker.

Huh, google usually works well for image hosting, I don't like using other image hosting because they seem to change links or just disappear after a while.

Not at all. Even on a white textured wall it took me some effort to see it. You need to move the beam side to side to recognize an uneven lighting. Artefact is almost invisible during normal headlamp use.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

I think the artifact is because the Led is a quad die. It's not too bad. One issue I notice with my light is the single press Hi mode don't always work when I turn it off. I think the light might have a problem standing by. I press it at 1sec interval but it doesn't turn on. Double click will switch sub Hi mode is instead of going to med. The hold press cycle works like it should. I have wait 5sec for it to reset. Anyone of you notice this? The battery indicator flashes twice. My Cottonpicker mini volt meter say 3.59v.
4.2V = 100%
4.1V = 90%
4.0V = 80%
3.9V = 60%
3.8V = 35%
3.7V = 10% (Recharge before this level to prolong battery life!)
3.5V = EMPTY

Does anyone know exactly what Zebralight's battery indicator level represent? I assume 2 flashes means 50% but apparently not if my meter is accurate. When I first got it was 3flashes. Does zebralight ship battery close to empty?

Last edited:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Got my H603d today. Yes, the artifact is due to the quad die. I find it distracting; every movement of the head I notice it. Tonight I will do the DC fix, and take before and after shots, and post them.

Other than that, perfect. No issues with the button, brightness, battery rattle, anodizing, or modes. Performs exactly like my H602 that it should replace. I'll include a shot of my H602 also in my follow up.

Steve

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Got my H603d today. Yes, the artifact is due to the quad die. I find it distracting; every movement of the head I notice it. Tonight I will do the DC fix, and take before and after shots, and post them.

Other than that, perfect. No issues with the button, brightness, battery rattle, anodizing, or modes. Performs exactly like my H602 that it should replace. I'll include a shot of my H602 also in my follow up.
Steve
What is this DC fix?

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
To confirm that lining the H603c's eyes with a black marker totally removes the artifact. In this case, I believe, it leaves the nice H603c's beam more 'pure'.
DC-Fix, however, has an advantage of correcting the 'tunnel vision' effect if it is something that bothers you. I have and enjoy DC-Fix on two of my other Zebra headlamps: H32w and H52w.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Comments for the images/videos are above the inserted image.

H602, wb of 5000K, 0.5sec, f/3.5, 350lm, seven feet away
H602.JPG

H603d, wb of 5000K, 0.5sec, f/3.5, 263lm, seven feet away
H603d.JPG

Moving H603d showing the artifact. Light was about seven feet away from wall.

Moving H603d showing the artifact. Light was about three feet away from wall.

Moving H603d with DC fix, still three feet away from wall.

I find the artifact very noticeable when the light moves. It is clearly from the quad die (you can see the shape of the LED in the artifact!). DC fix does not help, I feel it makes it worse with many more artifacts. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but this type of light is specifically used for up close work. Don't know what I'm going to do with the H603d :(

Steve

insanefred

Enlightened
Comments for the images/videos are above the inserted image.

H602, wb of 5000K, 0.5sec, f/3.5, 350lm, seven feet away
H602.JPG

H603d, wb of 5000K, 0.5sec, f/3.5, 263lm, seven feet away
H603d.JPG

Moving H603d showing the artifact. Light was about seven feet away from wall.

Moving H603d showing the artifact. Light was about three feet away from wall.

Moving H603d with DC fix, still three feet away from wall.

I find the artifact very noticeable when the light moves. It is clearly from the quad die (you can see the shape of the LED in the artifact!). DC fix does not help, I feel it makes it worse with many more artifacts. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but this type of light is specifically used for up close work. Don't know what I'm going to do with the H603d :(

Steve

Thanks for posting those.

Yikes, yeah, that is bad, IMO. Ummm... maybe I won't be getting a 603d/c after all.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Don't know what I'm going to do with the H603d :(

Steve
Return it? I guess the frosted version will hide the artifact. One thing you could try is use Magic tape. I found the tape hides the artifact better but you'll have to center the tape otherwise the edge of the tape will show in the beam.
https://youtu.be/jOzLxDnXYN0?t=17s
I put the tape on at 27s. As you can tell it's an improvement. The light is a H603c

Last edited:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Return it? I guess the frosted version will hide the artifact. One thing you could try is use Magic tape. I found the tape hides the artifact better but you'll have to center the tape otherwise the edge of the tape will show in the beam.
https://youtu.be/jOzLxDnXYN0?t=17s
I put the tape on at 27s. As you can tell it's an improvement.

What ZL was the tape being applied to in that video?

Steve

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Wow, magic tape is much better than the tape from phaserburn (at least for this application). Artifact gone, completely. Now to make the tape look nice on the light...

Steve

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news! I hear Zebralight will include a Sharpie and some magic tape with each H603d purchase in the future.

Sorry, I can't help myself.